PDA

View Full Version : Question about FTF Private Party Transfer FFL to FFL Bakersfield to San Diego

Sopholis
04-25-2011, 3:10 PM
I plan on purchashing a .44 mag for sale in Bakersfield, not on the roster. I live in San Diego. I was told that his FFL could send it to my FFL here in San Diego. I have seen pictures of every angle of the gun and don't want to drive to Bakersfield (gas prices), as the gun looks perfect and he guarantees it is in great shape nothing wrong. My question is, I will send him a money order for the gun, he will have his FFL box it up with copy of his ID and his FFL's information and send it to my FFL here in San Diego. I was told this is acceptable to get the DROS started on my end. Just making sure with you guys who would know before I mail anything off to get things going. I was told I don't have to have him here, just his ID and his FFL information, and the gun. It is not on the DOJ list so a FTF private party sale would be the way I am going.
Thanks,

theneko
04-25-2011, 3:41 PM
You said--

>>It is not on the DOJ list so a FTF private party sale would be the way I am going

But then you talk about not meeting him face to face? If its not on the roster it needs to be FTF transaction so you need to meet him at an FFL...

Sopholis
04-25-2011, 4:02 PM
Private party sale yes, and the gun is not on the list, so we have to meet FTF at an FFL he can't just send it with ID to my FFL here in San Diego from his FFL? We both have to be physically present on the transaction??

SGGear
04-25-2011, 4:11 PM
Yes. IF the gun is not listed, you need to meet the buyer FTF at a FFL and do a PPT. You both have to be physically present at the same location. And if its done in Bakersfield, you will need to drive back up after 10 days is over.

ruddogg
04-25-2011, 4:36 PM
^+1 - if it's not on the roster you have to meet face to face at the SAME FFL, can NOT be shipped.

on a side note, if it's shipped it's called a FFL transfer, no longer called PPT (Private Party Transfer). PPT is ONLY done face to face & the max fee is $35. FFL transfer, the FFL can charge you whatever they want.

morrcarr67
04-25-2011, 5:05 PM
The best way would be for the 2 of you to meet in the middle somewhere. It's about 232 miles to Bakersfield from San Diego. It's about 129 miles from San Diego to Glendale. That would be a good "Middle" place to meet.

Rukus
04-25-2011, 5:52 PM
Everyone is spot on with their answers. You're in for a drive.

The only way to ship a non rostered gun is if it is in Single-Shot Exempt form( 6" barrel, 10" OAL, Single shot mag locked)

Mr. Beretta
04-25-2011, 5:55 PM
Unless it's something very special, I'd pass.

Remember....2 trips involved. 1 to buy it. 1 to pick it up.

Good Luck.