PDA

View Full Version : DROS'D my first handgun today-Glock17 thru GSSF

Martel
04-25-2011, 1:40 PM
I was sorta on the fence between the G17 and the G22. I went with the G17, knowing that my wife would ultimately shoot the gun, (she has shot the G22, G19, and G17, and felt the .40 was a bit much) and considering the cost of ammo brought me back to the 9mm. I've had my GGSF card since September 2010, but didn't decide until a couple of weeks ago. Then I saw Glock's announcement about their change in new member purchase eligibility, and I thought I'd better get the heck off my a** right NOW. So down to LC Action I went and 25 minutes later, $489 poorer, I purchased my first handgun. Yippee-ki-yay, yippee-ki-yo I said to myself :^) I know, another freakin' Glock owner you'll say, and thats cool. But for me the Glocks thru the GSSF are very affordable, and to be honest, that's about all I could afford to do right now.

bsg
04-25-2011, 2:04 PM
congratulations; good deal.

c483125117
04-25-2011, 2:58 PM
Awesome. Congrats! About to purchase my first Glock and can't decide between the G17 and G19.

locosway
04-25-2011, 4:49 PM
I was sorta on the fence between the G17 and the G22. I went with the G17, knowing that my wife would ultimately shoot the gun, (she has shot the G22, G19, and G17, and felt the .40 was a bit much) and considering the cost of ammo brought me back to the 9mm. I've had my GGSF card since September 2010, but didn't decide until a couple of weeks ago. Then I saw Glock's announcement about their change in new member purchase eligibility, and I thought I'd better get the heck off my a** right NOW. So down to LC Action I went and 25 minutes later, $489 poorer, I purchased my first handgun. Yippee-ki-yay, yippee-ki-yo I said to myself :^) I know, another freakin' Glock owner you'll say, and thats cool. But for me the Glocks thru the GSSF are very affordable, and to be honest, that's about all I could afford to do right now.

My Glock 17 RTF2 is my favorite! You'll love it and get many many good years of usage from it.

My only suggestion, other than practice a ton, is to get some Warren Tactical night sights. They make the biggest difference on my Glock by far.

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=800008D8-1212761702

locosway
04-25-2011, 4:50 PM
Awesome. Congrats! About to purchase my first Glock and can't decide between the G17 and G19.

Both are great guns! If you're going to use the gun in the home and at the range, then I'd go with the 17, unless you have smaller hands. If you may conceal the gun or just like the 19 better for the fit, then by all means go that route.

gatesbox
04-25-2011, 4:52 PM
Well done...I think you are better off with the G17 no matter what the circumstance.

Oceanbob
04-25-2011, 5:07 PM
Good choice..!

Every person's personal weapons collection should include a GLOCK 17 as a cornerstone. Over the years, other handguns may come and go; but the GLOCK 17 is always a keeper.

Upgrade to the Warren Tactical night Sites as well.

Martel
04-25-2011, 5:49 PM
Thanks all. Really looking forward, and the Warren sights are on the list, as is a GSSF match within reasonable driving distance :^)

locosway
04-25-2011, 5:54 PM
Thanks all. Really looking forward, and the Warren sights are on the list, as is a GSSF match within reasonable driving distance :^)

I'm not sure if you can use any third party parts on the Glock when attended a GSSF match. You may want to check into that.

Martel
04-25-2011, 6:31 PM
I'm not sure if you can use any third party parts on the Glock when attended a GSSF match. You may want to check into that.

Yep, you're probably right. I definitely want to make it to 1 or 2 of the matches too, so I got to keep it legal. I think I'm getting too exited ;)

Davidoff
04-25-2011, 6:52 PM
Yep, you're probably right. I definitely want to make it to 1 or 2 of the matches too, so I got to keep it legal. I think I'm getting too exited ;)

You may use aftermarket sights and grip tape in GSSF. All other parts must be factory Glock parts, although not necessarily from that model. I have a talon grip and aftermarket sights on my pistol and it was GSSF legal until I starter changing internals. Full rules here (pages 12-25): http://www.gssfonline.com/glockrpt/2011_The_GLOCK_Report.pdf
The next GSSF match in Northern California is in August at Richmond Rod and Gun.
Congrats on buying a great gun. The G17 is a great pistol and will serve you well. I shoot an older well-used G17 in GSSF and USPSA Production division, it saw thousands of rounds before I bought it and I have put 6000-7000 rounds through it in the last year. I will have to put the stock internals back in for the GSSF match in August.

USMC 82-86
04-25-2011, 6:54 PM
Started the DROS on my first Glock today. I went with the G19 as I could find no bad reviews or bad remarks from owners. I had a Colt 1911 in .45 I shoot a lot and that was burning some serious money. I had about 10-15 different FTE and FTF's over the course of a year. The gun was accurate with nothing done aftermarket. I just sold my Sig P226R in .40. This was another expensive round to shoot and like I said I shoot a lot. The sig never had a FTE or FTF that is saying something, when I had a little over 3000 rounds through her. The one thing that did bother about the Sig was that slide would not lock back about 90 percent of the time. I had to altered my hold on the last couple rounds to stay off the slide lock. That didn't happen with the Colt. I rented several Glocks and put about 300 round through the rentals and we know how well rentals are maintained :rolleyes: and the Glock locked back everytime and was failure free. I guess I just kept shooting the Sig because is was so accurate. I found the G19 to be very accurate as well and that was with minimal trigger time on the Glock. I guess I am also impressed with the simple funtion as well.