PDA

View Full Version : Heading to the range with the Wife today...

sanjosebmx
04-25-2011, 11:08 AM
picking up the 12g Winchester 1300 defender that I bought a couple weeks ago...pretty excited about that.

Also going to hit the indoor range with the wife. She is HOPEFULLY going to pick out a pistol today.. she has a hard time with our S&W M&P (in .40cal) even with the smallest backstrap..but has a hard time getting a quick follow up shot due to muzzle flip...

She wants to try an M&P in 9mm, they also have a SIG in 9mm (not sure which model) to rent.. hoping that the change in caliber will make her follow up shots more controlled (she hits the target pretty good on shot #1)

Wondering, since she has smaller hands, would the 9mm make that much of a difference, or should she look more toward a single stack (like a 1911 or Sig is it a P226?) that she can get her hands wrapped around a little better...

She shot a 1911 Kimber in .45cal and liked it, but had the same issue with the follow up shot...(selfishly, I'd like to see her fall in love with a .45 cal 1911)...

Gary13
04-25-2011, 11:18 AM
I assume you are going to Barnwood. Not sure they will let you shoot the shotgun there, hopefully they will. I have shot their M&P9 and Sig 229 9mm, but ran fine, but did not love the M&P and the 229 was a bit small for me.

No real suggestions on what would work for her. My wife has no interest in shooting. Barnwood has a pretty good selection of rentals and new guns, and some used ones as well. Have fun and good luck.

dousan
04-25-2011, 11:18 AM
My wife does awesome with her tiny hands and a p229 9mm
She loves her sig
And I don't mind her shooting alot because 9mm ammunition is very inexpensive
Good luck!!

sanjosebmx
04-25-2011, 11:19 AM
no they won't let us shoot the shotgun... I wish, because we have a annual pass...gotta head to Manteca for that one..

Fishslayer
04-25-2011, 12:05 PM
selfishly, I'd like to see her fall in love with a .45 cal 1911)...

No you don't. My wife fell in love with mine & now I have to compete for trigger time.:(

She's pretty darn good with it, too, as long as I load her up with my light target loads & she doesn't try to shoot more than a couple mags at a time. ;)

Upside is she doesn't get too bent when I look at other 1911's to replace hers.;)

ThortheDog
04-25-2011, 1:20 PM
Wondering, since she has smaller hands, would the 9mm make that much of a difference, or should she look more toward a single stack (like a 1911 or Sig is it a P226?) that she can get her hands wrapped around a little better...

If she likes the Sig but the grip seems too large, she may want to check out a Sig with the E2 grips. Those plus the short trigger (different from the short reset trigger) apparently make it more friendly to smaller hands.

loose_electron
04-25-2011, 1:25 PM
Sig P226 is double stack "assault clip" (just kiddin!)
Single stack is the P220, which is common in 45, not sure if there is a 9mm version.
My GF really likes the Sig Mosquito for her smaller hands, and light recoil of .22. She also like my teeny Bersa 380 for holding, but since its so light its got a good amount of recoil.

See if the range will let her "squeeze test" a few grips at the counter.

DasBoost
04-25-2011, 2:25 PM
She is HOPEFULLY going to pick out a pistol today.. she has a hard time with our S&W M&P (in .40cal) even with the smallest backstrap..but has a hard time getting a quick follow up shot due to muzzle flip...

She wants to try an M&P in 9mm, they also have a SIG in 9mm (not sure which model) to rent.. hoping that the change in caliber will make her follow up shots more controlled (she hits the target pretty good on shot #1)

If the problem with the M&P is just handling the .40, going to 9mm may help, but the 9/.357sig/.40 all have the save size frame and backstraps; only the .45 frame is larger by a tiny bit. If the M&P already fits her hand well, then going to 9mm should help. I shot the 9/.40/.45 of the M&Ps and short both the 9 and .45 better than the .40; I just couldn't get the hang of it...

Best of luck and enjoy!

sanjosebmx
04-25-2011, 3:00 PM
I honestly think it's not so much the size of the gun (shes not THAT small) but the recoil...wrist strength etc. Shes got a good 400-500 rounds downrange so not like she gives up easy... I haven't had any experience with a 9mm so not sure if that will do the trick, I was looking at the SR9 Ruger, but she didn't like it.. so the search continues...

Gary13
04-25-2011, 3:16 PM
If she wants to try a CZ SP01(bit heavy, but great shooter), I am there every other week or so(annual member as well). My friend has a Sig P6 and 226, as well as Beretta 92fs, which might be good for her as well. I have a XD9 Service she could try as well.

locosway
04-25-2011, 3:47 PM
picking up the 12g Winchester 1300 defender that I bought a couple weeks ago...pretty excited about that.

Also going to hit the indoor range with the wife. She is HOPEFULLY going to pick out a pistol today.. she has a hard time with our S&W M&P (in .40cal) even with the smallest backstrap..but has a hard time getting a quick follow up shot due to muzzle flip...

She shot a 1911 Kimber in .45cal and liked it, but had the same issue with the follow up shot...(selfishly, I'd like to see her fall in love with a .45 cal 1911)...

My wife settled on the XD. She tried most other guns and just liked the XD much better. As far as the 9mm vs. .40... That shouldn't be an issue with a proper grip. Myself and my wife can shoot 9mm, .40, and 10mm all the same without much worry about follow-up shots.

sanjosebmx
04-25-2011, 4:24 PM
I think the range has an XD to rent.. heading over shortly ... thanks for the input and maybe I will see you around Gary13..

glockmeister
04-25-2011, 4:25 PM
She should try a cz. Either the 75, SP01 or P01. Great shooters, thin grips and very accurate out of the box. Follow up shots are easier due to the weight of the all steel frame and slide.

Gary13
04-25-2011, 6:28 PM
Out celebrating daughters bday so not going tonight, but my friend Jeff should be there. Hope it went well.

sanjosebmx
04-25-2011, 7:12 PM
she liked the Ruger SR9 ... I'm all for it.. you know the saying, if Momma's happy we are all happy... :)

Gary13
04-25-2011, 7:28 PM
Well aware of that saying. Good to hear she found something she liked.