PDA

View Full Version : Cow Mountain Pig Hunt: SUCCESS...

Vepr62
11-21-2006, 8:24 AM
Here is my report, as promissed. So I was up on that mountain before the sun with my guide Rick. I started glassing the hilside with my 3-9 scope set on 9 and I couldn't see s@#$, so I turned it down to 3. It was cloudy day and those trees around make it look even darker. After about an hour of hiking up and down I've seen Mama pig (about 200+ lb) with 3 little ones, (30-40 lb each) so I let the mama live. I started to get real hot, so I left my jacket and my back pack on the trail and went back up again. Around 10 AM there I've heard pigs rooting close to the top of the ridge. The wind was in my favor, so i started quietly climbing up. I moved only when they were making sounds. There were moments that pigs didn't make any sounds listenning to whats going on arround, and I would freeze at that moment as well. I got to about 60 yards away from the pigs when I seen the first movement. I climbed about 10 yards more so there were patches of clear between me and the pigs. Those were 100-120 lb pigs (Rick said good eating, and thats what I wanted). So I sent 160 GRN .280 Remington round into chamber of my Weatherby Mk-V Ultralight and started glassing that hill. I found a good size cleering between the trees and was wayting for the pig to appear there. And here it was, reddish bor about 100 lb, rooting through that cleering. I put my crosshair 2 inches to the right of his ear and 4 inches from the top of him and squized the trigger. He was down and never made another movement. That bullet went all the way through shattering his wertebrae in the process. No mess no damage to any meat. For future hunts: The terain is heavily wooded and have some manzanita patches. This is a side of a mountain, so it requires a lot of climbing uphils and hunter needs to be in a great physical shape. Shots are made at close range, about 50 yards or less and low magnification scope would be required, but the best bet would be your red dot sight. You may hunt with .357 mag or larger revolver, but the barrel needs to be minimum 6 inches. You can bring your tactikool gear and OLL AK with red dot, but they will check your ammo (no FMJ) Rick said that .223 is too small to make a humain kill, so no ARs. Good hiking/hunting boots are a must, and some snack and drinks are required, you don't know when you'll get your pig. The guide will skin your pig and there is plenty of water to wash it. The hunt is $350 for one pig, one hunter. No further discounts. Lodging is awailable 6 miles from the ranch. Planning another hunt in a month or so. For more details and pics and with any questions please PM me. If anybody wants to post pics on this thread I would e-mail them to you. Be safe and shoot straight.

Vasiliy

RJ Dunn
11-21-2006, 8:45 AM
I've hunted Cow Mountain before. Were you hunting the BLM land or were you on private land near Cow Mountain. Just wondering

metalhead357
11-21-2006, 3:40 PM
tag for followup..............:)

Vepr62
11-21-2006, 6:12 PM
Hunted on private property, adjoined to BLM.
Vasiliy

Smoothiesd
11-21-2006, 6:25 PM
Enough of the teasing, I would like to see some pics of your boar if you took any. Congrats on the hunt!!!

Vigilante
11-21-2006, 6:34 PM
So I sent 160 GRN .180 Remingtom round into chamber of my Weatherby MV Ultralight and started glassing that hill.
How do you like that Ultralight? I took my new Accumark pig hunting a few weeks ago and by the end of the day I almost wished that I had bought a lighter gun. I like the gun, but man is it heavy.

VeryCoolCat
11-21-2006, 10:38 PM
How much it cost you? $500?

Pablo
11-22-2006, 12:10 AM
Tag for pics...

new cal shooter
11-22-2006, 9:17 AM
who was the guide? is he public? looking for a christmas ham my self! up here in RP

thanks!

moulton
11-22-2006, 9:42 PM
why do you say the revolver needs to be more than 6 inches?

Vepr62
11-22-2006, 9:56 PM
That's what the guide told me. I had my Taurus .44 Magnumg 4 in barrel for back up, and he said it was ok for back up, but for hunting you need 6 in, minimum. Do you think it's a BS?
Vasiliy

moulton
11-23-2006, 8:47 AM
That's what the guide told me. I had my Taurus .44 Magnumg 4 in barrel for back up, and he said it was ok for back up, but for hunting you need 6 in, minimum. Do you think it's a BS?
Vasiliy

nah... im in the same boat, I have my .357 mag rugergp-100 stainless for backup and I bought it especially for that. I thought you ment there was some law not allowing the use of a 4inch revolver

SKSPOWER650
11-23-2006, 6:34 PM
Sounds Like Fun:)

Whitesmoke
11-23-2006, 9:35 PM
Vasiliy

I know a firearms instructor that just took a huge pig (like 300+ lbs) with his glock in 45acp. One shot and it went straight down....of course, he is a good shot too. 4" barrel or 6"...doesn't make that much difference, imho.

metalhead357
11-23-2006, 10:04 PM
nah... im in the same boat, I have my .357 mag rugergp-100 stainless for backup and I bought it especially for that. I thought you ment there was some law not allowing the use of a 4inch revolver

No law or Game law that I've ever heard of; might be company policy, might be his own so he doesnt have stoooopid clients wounding game. But yeah, I've carried my 4" .357 and hoped/prayed it was 'enough' but it wasnt over the barrel length...........

SKSPOWER650
11-23-2006, 10:15 PM
I Use My Ruger 44 Mag

Whitesmoke
11-23-2006, 10:26 PM
I know Fort Hunter Liggett which is popular for pig hunting has a 6" minimum barrel length for taking game. From hunter liggetts website:

4. Firearms:
4.1. Handguns may be used per state regulations, but must have barrels 6 (six inches) or longer and be .38 caliber or larger (.243 or larger in rifle caliber used for handguns). Handguns in a vehicle must be in a locked container and unloaded (chamber and magazine).

metalhead357
11-23-2006, 10:49 PM
4.1. Handguns may be used per state regulations, but must have barrels 6 (six inches) or longer and be .38 caliber or larger (.243 or larger in rifle caliber used for handguns). Handguns in a vehicle must be in a locked container and unloaded (chamber and magazine).

Interesting...certainly seems to imply they've changed the rules for thier local:cool: indeed with thier language for a unloaded gun since Hunting regs DO allow you a loaded mag, even in the gun- just nothing chambered.

I know where I will not be hunting:rolleyes:

Whitesmoke
11-23-2006, 11:12 PM
Interesting...certainly seems to imply they've changed the rules for thier local:cool: indeed with thier language for a unloaded gun since Hunting regs DO allow you a loaded mag, even in the gun- just nothing chambered.

I know where I will not be hunting:rolleyes:

Well...it's Federal property....so thats how they make their own rules. That rule doesn't really bother me....It doesn't say you can have a loaded rifle in the vehicle. :D

Hunter
11-23-2006, 11:55 PM
The only restriction on handgun barrels for hunting here in CA per DFG are for Elk and Bighorn sheep hunting. For hunting either of those, the handgun must have a minimum barrel length of 4". For all other big game, it only requires center-fire with soft nose or expanding bullets, no minimum barrel specified.

So shooting big game with a 45 with FMJ ball ammo would not be legal.

Vepr62
11-27-2006, 9:06 AM
So, is there any interest in a group hunt for December? They guide groups up to 5 people. I and a friend of mine are going for sure, don't know the date yet.
I can e-mail pictures of my last hunt.

Vasiliy

Hunter
11-27-2006, 9:16 AM
So, is there any interest in a group hunt for December? They guide groups up to 5 people. I and a friend of mine are going for sure, don't know the date yet.
I can e-mail pictures of my last hunt.

Vasiliy

Any group discount rate apply if you get 5 people?
Thanks

Vepr62
11-27-2006, 3:42 PM
$350 per hunter is already discounted from what other outfits are charging (around $500)
So there are NO further discounts, no matter if you hunt alone or as a group.
Vasiliy

metalhead357
11-27-2006, 6:48 PM
So, is there any interest in a group hunt for December?

ArRRrGGgH! You just had to go and say December!!!!:p Gotta be one of my/the busiest months around!

I could easily be up for a Jan or thereafter hunt, but December is booked with work, school, family, and family related events from (um ok, Like NOW) through Jan 1!!!!!!

Metalhead

Vepr62
11-27-2006, 8:03 PM
If I save $350 during my Christmas shoping spree, I might go there in January. This hunting thing is getting addictive. For the December hunt I just have to buy two less OLL receivers.
Vasiliy

pilotimb
11-28-2006, 11:55 AM
I've been wanting a boar for quite some time.

Where is Cow Mountian and how do we get in touch with guides? Do they have a website or telephone number we can use to get more information?

Vepr62
11-28-2006, 7:51 PM
Find all the info here.
http://www.pigpointranch.com/index.htm

Stan_Humphries
12-04-2006, 10:21 AM
I believe I have hunted there before... everything seemed great, except for the fact that the hunting area was fenced in (like 5 steep hillside acres of it). You started the morning outside the fence looking for wild hog, then later you literally went in behind the fence looking for the pigs. It felt weird hunting in what was essentially a big pen, and when I had a shot at one of two nice size pigs @ 15yds, I declined to take it (my uncle had already bagged 2, so my decision saved us an extra $250).

I had a hell of a lot of fun though - as did every person in my group. And the meat you pull off those things - my goodness - you will not get that taste and quality at any store.

Vepr62
12-04-2006, 3:22 PM
Yes it is fenced, but 50+ acres. And they also have stands for still hunting if you want a trophy hog. And they atract large trophy hogs with pened female. I didn't want a trophy but meat pig, and the one i shot was VERY tasty, although it was a male. I prefer the taste of a female, though. I gues it sounds funny, but i like females. LOL. I am still looking for a better deal on hunting on a private land.
Vasiliy

gose
12-04-2006, 4:13 PM
I believe I have hunted there before... everything seemed great, except for the fact that the hunting area was fenced in (like 5 steep hillside acres of it). You started the morning outside the fence looking for wild hog, then later you literally went in behind the fence looking for the pigs. It felt weird hunting in what was essentially a big pen, and when I had a shot at one of two nice size pigs @ 15yds, I declined to take it (my uncle had already bagged 2, so my decision saved us an extra $250).

I had a hell of a lot of fun though - as did every person in my group. And the meat you pull off those things - my goodness - you will not get that taste and quality at any store.

Yeah, hunting for wild pig would be fun, but hunting in a fenced area is like going to Safeway. You can buy a lot of tasty meat for what the "hunt" would cost.

otoh, if it's like $500 I might as well buy a ticket home where I can hunt a week for free and shoot all the deer and boar I can find ;)

Maybe we should organize a deer/boar hunt to Sweden next year? Tickets would be $500-700 and we can hunt as much as we like without paying to the land owners (since that would be me and my dad ;))
I could house 5 or so in our cabin a couple of miles away from the land.
It's not that big, 450 acres or so, but we usually hunt with our neighbors, so we could probably set something up and hunt on a bigger area as well. If we go in Nov there might be a moose or two left on our license as well :D

Whitesmoke
12-04-2006, 6:36 PM
otoh, if it's like $500 I might as well buy a ticket home where I can hunt a week for free and shoot all the deer and boar I can find ;)

Maybe we should organize a deer/boar hunt to Sweden next year? Tickets would be $500-700 and we can hunt as much as we like without paying to the land owners (since that would be me and my dad ;))
I could house 5 or so in our cabin a couple of miles away from the land.
It's not that big, 450 acres or so, but we usually hunt with our neighbors, so we could probably set something up and hunt on a bigger area as well. If we go in Nov there might be a moose or two left on our license as well :D

Now...that sounds like fun :D

gose
12-04-2006, 11:19 PM
Oh, forgot to add, afaik my old shooting club still has those 4 K's, so we could probably spend a day at the shooting range blasting full-auto for the price of 9mm ammo. ;)

Rumpled
12-05-2006, 12:50 AM
The only restriction on handgun barrels for hunting here in CA per DFG are for Elk and Bighorn sheep hunting. For hunting either of those, the handgun must have a minimum barrel length of 4". For all other big game, it only requires center-fire with soft nose or expanding bullets, no minimum barrel specified.

So shooting big game with a 45 with FMJ ball ammo would not be legal.

Actually, I've checked (OK I was bored) and there is no provision to take antelope in CA with a handgun.

metalhead357
12-05-2006, 6:33 AM
Actually, I've checked (OK I was bored) and there is no provision to take antelope in CA with a handgun.

hmmmmmmm, I dunno; Big Game regs say any big game critter MAY be taken with pistol or rifle with expanding bullets when coming from a centerfire weapon........

Do you mean there is no provision requiring a minimum length?

interesting idea...as I'm not sure one would really even get a chance to get within most pistol range's for antelope.........

Hunter
12-05-2006, 7:19 AM
hmmmmmmm, I dunno; Big Game regs say any big game critter MAY be taken with pistol or rifle with expanding bullets when coming from a centerfire weapon............

Nope, Rumpled is correct. No specification for hunting antelope with a handgun or shotgun for that matter.

353. Methods Authorized for Taking Big Game.

(a) Except for the provisions of subsections 353(b) through (g), title 14, CCR, big game (as defined by section 350, title 14, CCR) may only be taken by rifles using centerfire cartridges with softnose or expanding bullets; bow and arrow (see section 354, title 14, CCR, for archery equipment regulations); or wheellock, matchlock, flintlock or percussion type, including "in-line" muzzleloading rifles using black powder or equivalent black powder substitute, including pellets, with single ball or bullet loaded from the muzzle and at least .40 caliber in designation.

(b) Shotguns capable of holding not more than three shells firing single slugs may be used for the taking of deer, bear and wild pigs. In areas where the discharge of rifles or shotguns with slugs is prohibited by county ordinance, shotguns capable of holding not more than three shells firing size 0 or 00 buckshot may be used for the taking of deer only.

(c) Pistols and revolvers using centerfire cartridges with softnose or expanding bullets may be used to take deer, bear, and wild pigs.

(d) Pistols and revolvers with minimum barrel lengths of 4 inches, using centerfire cartridges with softnose or expanding bullets may be used to take elk and bighorn sheep.

This got me thinking why would this be the case as TC guns can use centerfire rifle cartridges. So I sent an email to the Dept. of F&G and this is the reply I got back (very quickly I might add).

That is indeed the case, not sure why handgun was never included. Just
like you can not use buckshot for deer in this state. I am "guessing"
someone long time ago was assuming it was not an effective means to
harvest antelope. Does not make any sense to me since we have archery
for antelope.

The comment about buckshot only applies to the general areas as explained in the first quote on the regs.

metalhead357
12-05-2006, 6:17 PM
Thank you Hunter; I think I was misreading what he wrote:o