PDA

View Full Version : FNP-45 Tactical or Kimber TLE/RL?

SDM44
04-25-2011, 9:50 AM
I know, I usually hate these types of threads but I'm at a dilemma right now since my wife is putting the pressure on me.

I currently have a Kimber TLE/RL stainless and it's a great gun and I love shooting it. However, I really want to get the FNP-45 Tactical (via single-shot) and play with that. But the wife won't let me keep both, and no I can't get one and hide it from her... that won't work and will land me into deeper problems.

While I love shooting my 1911, I also love 'tactical' guns (I used to have a Glock 21SF and that was fun). If I do end up selling my TLE/RL, I'll get another 1911 in the future but not sure when or what kind. But the FNP-45 is just such a badass gun that I really want to play with it and use it in some courses.

So what do you guys think? Keep the TLE/RL and not get the FNP? Or sell the Kimber and get the FNP, and eventually get another 1911 later down the road (maybe in a year or so)?

Damiiaaannn
04-25-2011, 10:03 AM
Keep the Kimber and buy the FNP-45. :D

SDM44
04-25-2011, 10:06 AM

Wish I could, but part of the reason I would sell the Kimber is also to fund the FNP.

Damiiaaannn
04-25-2011, 10:10 AM
Wish I could, but part of the reason I would sell the Kimber is also to fund the FNP.

Why dont you put the FNP on layaway?

dousan
04-25-2011, 10:15 AM
First
I'd say try the fnp before you buy it, being in such a dilemma, better be safe
Maybe you won't like it

If you have tried it already. Flip a coin and stick with it
Heads for kimber
Tails for fnp

SDM44
04-25-2011, 10:24 AM
Why dont you put the FNP on layaway?

I can't exactly put a non-roster gun on layaway (I'm not near Valkyrie or any other 07 FFLs) so I would need to buy it, have it converted to single-shot, and then shipped to a local FFL nearby me that will accept it and transfer it to me.

I'd say try the fnp before you buy it, being in such a dilemma, better be safe
Maybe you won't like it

I've tried the FNP-9 and FNP-40 and held those and felt them. How much different are they compared to the FNP-45 in terms of size, grip, controls (decocker, safety, mag release, slide stop)?

Target19
04-25-2011, 10:26 AM
You love tactical guns?
Any gun is tactical if you got the tactics.

ZX-10R
04-25-2011, 10:27 AM

This...

dousan
04-25-2011, 10:27 AM
I let know you know in a couple weeks
I'm on my cell phone so can't see everything but
You in orange county area?

hammerhands32
04-25-2011, 10:31 AM
http://www.fnhusa.com/support/images/dynamic/m/FNM0173mb.png

They are pretty but I voted Kimber. I wouldn't kick either out of bed.

bwiese
04-25-2011, 10:42 AM
If you keep the Kimber, swap it for another 1911 that has less issues.

Too many FFLs report Kimbers have to go back to get 'em running OK, and it appears they're not magazine-related problems.

FNP45s are great guns. HOWEVER perhaps you are unaware

FNP45 Tactical it has a threaded bbl so it's an assault weapon in CA when this barrel is installed. This gun needs
to be shipped in non-AW form from outside CA (i.e., barrel removed/separated). When you get the gun, it will either
need to use a nonthreaded barrel (replacement bbl? turn the threads off your orig barrel? etc.) or use a BulletButton-
style maglock [ugh!]
all flavors of the FNP45 are not Rostered - so you have to go to special CA FFLs that sell single-shot conversion pistols
using very long barrels and locked-down zero-round magazines. There are added costs to do this work, esp since these
are not "volume" guns with cheap replacement barrel availability (i.e., 1911s and Glocks)
FNP45 Tactical has ultra-high sights. These sights are designed so the gun works with a "can" (suppressor). Shooting
without a can, these elevated sights are suboptimal and might require a change - even aside from sight-above-bore
height, I know I would NOT want sights sticking way way out from the slide.
You may well be bettah off with the straight FNP45 than FNP45 Tactical

SDM44
04-25-2011, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the info. I know Kimbers can have their share of issues, but mine has been flawless with about 1500 rounds so far through it.

I know the FNP-45 Tactical comes with a threaded barrel, but that's not a problem (already have an EFK barrel I picked up dirt cheap from a friend), and I know it needs to be single-shot converted... again not a problem. I'm also not concerned about the higher sights, and I would get a RMR and co-witness with the sites.

Right now one of the main issues I can't afford both, and I would need to sell one to fund the other (or not get the FNP at all). I am reading through the fnforums right now to see what info I can find about issues with the FNP-45 Tactical.

gorenut
04-25-2011, 11:02 AM
Is this the one with the built in red-dot sights?

If so.. I'd go with that. Unique gun. 1911s.. there are so many to choose from and I'm sure somewhere down the line, you can even get a cheaper 1911 that'll suffice. I remember when I first saw the gun with the red-dot, I wish FNH or any other maker would make one on CA roster in 9mm.

Ubermcoupe
04-25-2011, 11:05 AM
Buy both! :D That's what I'd do. In fact *picks up phone, pulls out credit card...*

ninjawho?
04-25-2011, 12:36 PM
Buy a regular.fnp......

leelaw
04-25-2011, 12:53 PM
The FNP45 is nice, but it's not so fantastic that I'd trade a good 1911 for it. I've held and fired both, and would (did) take a wide body 1911 over an FNP45 any day, if capacity is what you're after.

Keep the Kimber, pick up the FNP45 later once the wife has relinquished and the roster is gone, and it'll cost you a lot less to get.

leelaw
04-25-2011, 1:01 PM
Is this the one with the built in red-dot sights?

If so.. I'd go with that. Unique gun. 1911s.. there are so many to choose from and I'm sure somewhere down the line, you can even get a cheaper 1911 that'll suffice. I remember when I first saw the gun with the red-dot, I wish FNH or any other maker would make one on CA roster in 9mm.

The Tactical and Competition models have the slide milled to accept most micro red dots, but only the Tactical has sights high enough to cowitness with it. The pistol does not come with a red dot sight (add $$ to get it installed, then $ for a holster that'll fit).

SDM44
04-25-2011, 1:09 PM
On a related note, do all regular FNP-45 pistols come with a picatinny rail?

What are the differences between the regular FNP-45 and the Tactical model, besides the taller sights, threaded barrel, mounting holes on the slide for a red dot, magazines (14rd vs. 15rd... but that doesn't really matter)?

Are there any other differences between the 'regular' and 'tactical' models? that would cause it to be almost $500 less in price? Because if not, then I might be able to get that and keep the Kimber :)

EDIT: I just found some FNP-45 'regular' pistols that come with 10rd mags already for around $575 shipped on GB. Of course they would still need to go to an O7 FFL to turn into a single-shot converted gun. But it's much cheaper than getting an $1100 tactical model and going through the same process.

leelaw
04-25-2011, 1:30 PM
Standard model:
Ambi-magazine release
Ambi-slide catch
Ambi-safety/decocker
Accessory rail
C-More fixed sights
10 or 14rd magazines (3)

Competition:
All of the standard features, plus...
Milled slide for red dot optic
Fiber optic front/rear sights
15rd magazines (3)

Tactical
All of the standard features, plus...
Extended, threaded barrel
Milled slide for red dot optic
Taller iron sights for cowitnessing red dot, with tritium
15rd magazines (3)
Spiffy canvass carrying case

SDM44
04-25-2011, 1:34 PM
Ok, thanks. So basically what I mentioned above is about it for the differences between the Standard and Tactical models.

That now at least lets me rethink this for a bit.

Moto4Fun
04-25-2011, 1:34 PM
If you do want to sell the Kimber, let me know, and I will help you get rid of it!

I encourage you to follow your heart. Only you can know how much you want to shoot a DA/SA modern firearm vs a SA classic.

leelaw
04-25-2011, 1:36 PM
Ok, thanks. So basically what I mentioned above is about it for the differences between the Standard and Tactical models.

That now at least lets me rethink this for a bit.

Basically re-buying magazines (or modifying 15rds to 10rds - I haven't seen a Competition with 10rd magazines, but I haven't really looked either) and having the option to mount a red dot optic is the primary difference.

gorenut
04-25-2011, 1:41 PM
After the points leelaw has pointed out.. I'd retract my vote to keep with the 1911. If it really came down to it.. I would personally get an FNP over a 1911.. but thats because a regular FNP costs half of it. I know the FNP you're gunning for isn't in the same price range. At that point.. I'd want a gun that shoots and feels like a premium shooter.. which you already have.

626Tony
04-25-2011, 6:24 PM
I got a 2 tone FNP 45 USG for sale in the LA area http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=425392

SDM44
04-25-2011, 7:34 PM
I got a 2 tone FNP 45 USG for sale in the LA area

If that was the black slide model, I would be all over there. I don't care for the silver 2-tone look on any handguns.

I sent an email to a couple of 07 FFL's to see what kind of pricing I can get for a new USG or Tactical model FNP-45.

STAGE 2
04-25-2011, 10:03 PM
Wheres the option for neither? As has already been said, kimbers have too many problems, and the fnp45 has had enough teething issues to rival ruger products. Even diehard FN fans have been disappointed in this pistol. I was looking to get one before I read all of the reviews.

chee_seen
04-25-2011, 11:45 PM
Right now one of the main issues I can't afford both, and I would need to sell one to fund the other (or not get the FNP at all). I am reading through the fnforums right now to see what info I can find about issues with the FNP-45 Tactical.[/QUOTE]

Why do you need it now? Save up and get it when the time comes. You would be much happier to have both guns in your hands. Just be patient!!!

I'm still saving up for the FN Scar 17. A little aside on each pay check is all you need. I'm almost there.

leelaw
04-26-2011, 1:21 AM
Wheres the option for neither? As has already been said, kimbers have too many problems, and the fnp45 has had enough teething issues to rival ruger products. Even diehard FN fans have been disappointed in this pistol. I was looking to get one before I read all of the reviews.

Kimber is a major 1911 manufacturer, it's no surprise that there's a number of complaints about their pistols as some of the bad eggs slip past QC. In that regard, it's much like the complaints about Glock - sure, there are complaints, but consider the sheer volume output by the factory and suddenly the complaints become statistically insignificant.

Reading through the FNP45 reviews (unless you consider the nutnfancy review, which was a joke) the majority of the responses are positive, with some small complaints which even I felt from a quick hadling of the pistol, mainly having to do with the positioning of the safety/decocker when using a high grip on the pistol. Small potatoes.

That said, I'm a Kimber fan, I'm a 1911 fan, I'm a 2011 fan, and even I have a modified FNP45 Tactical on order.

STAGE 2
04-26-2011, 4:02 PM
Kimber is a major 1911 manufacturer, it's no surprise that there's a number of complaints about their pistols as some of the bad eggs slip past QC. In that regard, it's much like the complaints about Glock - sure, there are complaints, but consider the sheer volume output by the factory and suddenly the complaints become statistically insignificant.

I think its more than just a couple of bad eggs. Springfield armory is a major manufacturer and has a better rep than kimber. That and most of the custom smiths I know don't ever use kimbers as a building platform. Colt, caspian, springfield armory, but no kimber.

Reading through the FNP45 reviews (unless you consider the nutnfancy review, which was a joke) the majority of the responses are positive, with some small complaints which even I felt from a quick hadling of the pistol, mainly having to do with the positioning of the safety/decocker when using a high grip on the pistol. Small potatoes.

That said, I'm a Kimber fan, I'm a 1911 fan, I'm a 2011 fan, and even I have a modified FNP45 Tactical on order.

I wasn't talking about the complaints, I was talking about the reliability/feeding issues. From what I've read on the FN forum (the place most likely to give a favorable light to the pistol) for every happy owner, there is one with a pistol that wont function. And this is after the mag tolerance issue was seemingly been addressed.

As I said before, I was chomping at the bit to get this pistol since it seemed to be a "poor mans" usp, but there are just too many problems that have yet to be ironed out.

Cali-Shooter
04-26-2011, 4:41 PM
I would just keep the Kimber. But that's just me.

DaveFJ80
04-26-2011, 11:51 PM
The prices I've received on the USG and Tactical models, converted into a single-shot and shipped to my local FFL, are pretty good prices. It's not until you start adding in the 10rd mags, spare non-threaded barrel (for the Tactical model) and the RMR if you want to go that route, that the price of the gun starts to quickly add up. For less than $1200, you can have a Tactical model shipped, transferred, and DROS'd to you before the other parts I mentioned.

That being said, I'd personally stick with the Kimber since I don't care for DA/SA pistols. I either like SA or DAO pistols, and since I'm used to that then I'm wouldn't to change it up. Consider that if you haven't thought about it.

rdmax
04-27-2011, 12:31 AM
Kimber, real steel vs another plastic gun. Kimber all the way!!!!