PDA

View Full Version : Safe recommendations?

NorCalAthlete
04-25-2011, 1:18 AM
Currently I have 4 long guns and 4 handguns, and would like a small to medium size safe that can accommodate all of them plus ammo and cleaning kits/other accessories. Only problem is, all the safes I've seen that have that kind of space are massive ones for like 12+ long guns with a dozen shelves and everything else. I'm thinking something that's more along the lines of space for 6-8 long guns on one side with shelves running up and down the other half, and maybe one big horizontal shelf across the top of it. I typically stock around 500-1000 rounds per caliber, so I don't need all that much room for the ammo just a couple shelves worth. I don't want to break the bank here buying one, but currently all my guns are just locked inside individual pelican cases. That needs to change. I'd like a safe that's strong, heavy, and will last me for ages, but it doesn't need to be digital/biometric/etc just basic dials and levers will work fine. Heavy because I live in an apartment and don't want to drill/bolt into the floor/walls, but don't want someone to be able to just walk in and carry it out either. I've seen some safes around the size I'm looking for that I literally picked up in the store and was like "hell no". My only purchases for the near future are one more rifle and one more shotgun. Hence, the 6-8 long gun capacity. Handguns don't take up much space, but I DO want some kind of shelf for them and the ammo/magazines/etc. Thoughts?

bsg
04-25-2011, 1:36 AM
many safes and safe suggestions have been discussed here on the forum. you can use the "search" function for direct assistance.

i would suggest you consider a used safe on the secondary market as well as a new safe; some great deals come up. i've seen some excellent prices here on the forum. i bought my old Browning ProSteel safe from CL. the old dial combination lock on my ProSteel moves as smooth as butter; love it.

do... buy a safe you will grow into, rather than one you will grow out of. you mentioned you will want a safe that will last you "for ages." it is mystifying how fast a safe fills up, when you thought you got one big enough. they fill up quickly.

good luck on this project.

9-12
04-25-2011, 11:12 AM
Check with C&H Welding in Simi Valley. They build some of the best safes you can buy.

WWDHD?
04-25-2011, 11:59 AM
I was in your spot several years ago. I lived in an apartment on the second floor and wanted a more secure way to lock up my guns. Most of the time you can't drill/bolt down a safe in a rental and moving a big 500lb+ safe into most places is going to cause quite a spectacle with your neighbors as well as latter on if you move. At the time I got a 300lb Cannon gun locker that I got up the stairs with some help and put it in a closet. Most smash and grab types are not prepared to run off with a bulky safe if they don't know its there. This was good enough untill I bought my own place and got a Sturdy 32x24 650lb+ safe and bolted it down. More than big enough for me now and my old safe I use it now to store ammo, although I had many friends wanting to buy my old safe if I had to get rid of it.
I would recommend you get one of the Liberty Centurion line of safes. Plenty strong, dial combo, DOJ aproved and the smaller ones can be moved into an apartment without to much work with some help. I've even seen the Liberty Centurion sold at Lowe's for less than the Liberty store sells them for.
My advise, buy something good enough for now that you can move without to much trouble and hide it if possible to make it less noticable to thiefs or nosy visitors. Save up for a really good safe for when you're in a place that you know your going to be in for a long while. Hiring pros to move a heavy gunsafe is expensive. good luck.

sk8804
04-25-2011, 3:49 PM
I recomend Bighorn and Rhino safes. Great for the money.

ap1040
04-25-2011, 10:12 PM
Since you need a safe that can be moved, but not one that the bad guys can just carry off, here is another one to consider. http://www.zanottiarmor.com/safes.htm Basically the safe will break down into several parts for easier transport. It should stop most smash and grab break ins. I've only seen this via the net so don't know the quality but something to consider.

NorCalAthlete
04-26-2011, 12:45 AM
many safes and safe suggestions have been discussed here on the forum. you can use the "search" function for direct assistance.

i would suggest you consider a used safe on the secondary market as well as a new safe; some great deals come up. i've seen some excellent prices here on the forum. i bought my old Browning ProSteel safe from CL. the old dial combination lock on my ProSteel moves as smooth as butter; love it.

do... buy a safe you will grow into, rather than one you will grow out of. you mentioned you will want a safe that will last you "for ages." it is mystifying how fast a safe fills up, when you thought you got one big enough. they fill up quickly.

good luck on this project.

hehehehe yeah I'm afraid I'll get tired of looking at empty spots and want to fill it pretty quickly, but I have a lot of other hobbies to spend $$ on and keeping only a couple extra spots open will help me keep my spending in check....for now. Maybe an 8-10 though instead of 6-8....and yes I've considered used safes, I guess I should have been a little more clear on that - I'm not really worried about new vs used as long as it's in 100% working condition and whatnot. As for searching for safe discussions - I came to the safe forum...didn't see much. Guess I still could have hit search, but no biggie.

Check with C&H Welding in Simi Valley. They build some of the best safes you can buy.

Hmmm...looks nice, but I'm in NorCal. I don't imagine shipping is cheap if they don't distribute through WalMart or something. Submitted a form for info on finding a dealer on their website. I like that their philosophy is form, function, AND affordability.

I was in your spot several years ago. I lived in an apartment on the second floor and wanted a more secure way to lock up my guns. Most of the time you can't drill/bolt down a safe in a rental and moving a big 500lb+ safe into most places is going to cause quite a spectacle with your neighbors as well as latter on if you move. At the time I got a 300lb Cannon gun locker that I got up the stairs with some help and put it in a closet. Most smash and grab types are not prepared to run off with a bulky safe if they don't know its there. This was good enough untill I bought my own place and got a Sturdy 32x24 650lb+ safe and bolted it down. More than big enough for me now and my old safe I use it now to store ammo, although I had many friends wanting to buy my old safe if I had to get rid of it.
I would recommend you get one of the Liberty Centurion line of safes. Plenty strong, dial combo, DOJ aproved and the smaller ones can be moved into an apartment without to much work with some help. I've even seen the Liberty Centurion sold at Lowe's for less than the Liberty store sells them for.
My advise, buy something good enough for now that you can move without to much trouble and hide it if possible to make it less noticable to thiefs or nosy visitors. Save up for a really good safe for when you're in a place that you know your going to be in for a long while. Hiring pros to move a heavy gunsafe is expensive. good luck.

Don't have room for a foot locker in my closet, though if I had more room at the end of the bed it'd be a thought. Definitely saving up for a kickass, bigass safe for when I buy a house...but that's several years down the road. Ideally, I'd like that big kickass one to be an addition to this one for my future purchases. So I still want a pretty decent one now. Centurion 12 looks to be right about what I'm looking for I think...thanks for the point.

I recomend Bighorn and Rhino safes. Great for the money.

Little more expensive for the bighorns, lot more expensive for the rhinos...I like the bighorn 6022 though. Hrm. Time to find pricing...

BTW - when it says "8-10 gun capacity" that's always in reference to long guns right? Some of those safes look pretty tiny to be squeezing 8-10 long guns in there...

WWDHD?
04-26-2011, 9:01 AM
A 60" tall gun safe will fit upright inside of most standard closets. The safe depth is the part you need to watch out for not fitting.
The Zanotti knock-down safe is a very cool idea but its really expensive. A similar one is Dakota safes. I was interested in these but I could'nt find one set up to see it in person before I bought one.
Go out to some safe shops and look around. if theres a Liberty store near you go there and look around. Costco (online) has some good deals, sometimes with free shipping. And then theres my favorite, Sturdy safes. They make some smaller sizes that might work for you. These are some seriously tough safes that are made in Fresno. Heavy metal costs $$$.

kermitz
04-26-2011, 9:25 AM
Sturdy Safe?

Guns R Tools
04-26-2011, 4:41 PM
http://www.sturdysafe.com/

bsg
04-26-2011, 7:32 PM
i know CL gets mixed reviews... but my safe purchase from the site was a good experience. many people unload large stuff when they move, and need to do it quickly. the deals are out there.

again, good luck.

buuddha
04-26-2011, 7:44 PM
http://www.sturdysafe.com/

Sturdy Safe?

+3

Made in Fresno, CA.

PM720
04-26-2011, 11:32 PM
I have 2 Amsec's that I am happy with.

Scott

uscbigdawg
04-27-2011, 8:27 AM
Invincible Safes (http://www.invinciblegunsafes.com/). These are the BEST!!! Vinnie and the guys are awesome to work with and their safes are legit. Liberty, Cold Steel, et. al. are all garbage compared to these.

He's a Nor Cal guy and a shooter, so buy with confidence. They're not the cheapest ones on the market, but you'll also not find any better.

Rich

Cuda440
04-30-2011, 4:34 PM
Based on your OP, a Champion Trophy 19 seems to fit your requirements nicely.
http://www.westcoastsafes.com/trophy-19-gun-safes-p-206.html

The Trophy safes are nicer that the Home Depot and Costco safes, they are quite a bit more secure and heavier. They also have a great fire rating for their price range- 75 minutes at 1500 degrees, while Cannons, Winchesters, and BigHorns are all around 30 minutes at 1200 degrees.

Hope this helps.

rdmmdr
04-30-2011, 5:05 PM
I love my sturdy safe 32x24, they will repair for free if they ever break or get damaged in a robbery. also they will drill one open for free in the event of the owners death/incapacitation in the local area. how is that for a warrenty. Door is removalble for transport, myself and a friend moved mine both times. all you need is a cart or dolly. I don't bolt mine down, but have about two hundred pouds of lead and shot in it at all times. if the guys can steal my nine hundred pund safe in the ten minutes the cops take to get here then go for it. besides the guns are insured. I picked mine up from the factory, this said liberty is in clovis and they just gave the local 4h shooting sports a 100$ so I have to plug them too.
rick

jmust1991
04-30-2011, 5:10 PM
I have an AMSEC BF series, and am very pleased with it. I know several companies offer the same warranty, but a replacememt if the safe is damaged in a fire or burglary (attempted)......that sounds solid to me and was one of the selling points, at least for me

mprahm
04-30-2011, 6:35 PM
I have an AMSEC BF series, and am very pleased with it. I know several companies offer the same warranty, but a replacememt if the safe is damaged in a fire or burglary (attempted)......that sounds solid to me and was one of the selling points, at least for me

+1

I have the same BF6040...... Outstanding safe in my opinion

WDE91
04-30-2011, 9:08 PM
bigger,heavier,stronger
with these
https://www.storemoreguns.com/rifle-rods

bsg
04-30-2011, 10:24 PM
if i could only find an old Fort Knox. hmmmmm... if i could only afford an old Fort Knox....

esskay
05-01-2011, 11:25 AM
BTW - when it says "8-10 gun capacity" that's always in reference to long guns right? Some of those safes look pretty tiny to be squeezing 8-10 long guns in there...

Yeah, just remember when the safe manufacturers cite things like "8-10 gun capacity" they are being very optimistic! Perhaps 8-10 Ruger 10/22 rifles with standard stocks, no optics on them, and packed in real tight!

As soon as you start putting in weapons with pistol grips, vertical grips, optics, side saddles, buttstock pouches, flashlights, extended charging handles, etc etc... forget about it, you can reduce the claimed capacity by perhaps 30%-50%, depending on the types/configurations of long guns you have.

Also, remember that if you have weapons that vary widely in overall length, that also can create some wasted capacity (vertically) because you might have to set up the shelving to accommodate the longest weapon you have. If this is the case, you can reclaim some of that space by putting some stuff at the bottom (e.g. boxes of ammo, a drawer, etc), underneath your shorter rifles.

The Rifle Rod link someone posted really does help you use the space more efficiently.

If you are tight on safe space, it becomes like a game of Tetris every time you go to/come back from the range!

All this to say that you will not regret buying as large a safe as you can afford and accommodate!!

Should add that if you only have a handful of weapons, another option is to get borestore type socks for all of your guns, then you can just jam them all in to the safe and not worry too much about scratching them up while using the space fairly efficiently. You can put the handguns in their socks/rugs/etc and then stack them up on a shelf.

Oh, don't forget a Goldenrod to prevent rust! Note the Goldenrod will take a little bit of space at the bottom of your safe

bsg
05-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Yeah, just remember when the safe manufacturers cite things like "8-10 gun capacity" they are being very optimistic! Perhaps 8-10 Ruger 10/22 rifles with standard stocks, no optics on them, and packed in real tight!

As soon as you start putting in weapons with pistol grips, vertical grips, optics, side saddles, buttstock pouches, flashlights, extended charging handles, etc etc... forget about it, you can reduce the claimed capacity by perhaps 30%-50%, depending on the types/configurations of long guns you have.

Also, remember that if you have weapons that vary widely in overall length, that also can create some wasted capacity (vertically) because you might have to set up the shelving to accommodate the longest weapon you have. If this is the case, you can reclaim some of that space by putting some stuff at the bottom (e.g. boxes of ammo, a drawer, etc), underneath your shorter rifles.

The Rifle Rod link someone posted really does help you use the space more efficiently.

If you are tight on safe space, it becomes like a game of Tetris every time you go to/come back from the range!

All this to say that you will not regret buying as large a safe as you can afford and accommodate!!

Should add that if you only have a handful of weapons, another option is to get borestore type socks for all of your guns, then you can just jam them all in to the safe and not worry too much about scratching them up while using the space fairly efficiently. You can put the handguns in their socks/rugs/etc and then stack them up on a shelf.

Oh, don't forget a Goldenrod to prevent rust! Note the Goldenrod will take a little bit of space at the bottom of your safe

+1. some safes meet the advertised number of guns that can be stored... but the guns are as close together as baloney to bread on a sandwich.

always buy a safe you will grow into... rather than a safe you will grow out of.