PDA

View Full Version : Shark fin

Blue
11-20-2006, 10:30 PM
So all of these do it yourselfers here got me kind of inspired on my way home from work today. Stopped off at Tap Plastics and picked up a bunch of crap out of their scrap bin. Most pieces were $2.00 or less. Anyways, this is what I came up with:
http://i10.tinypic.com/2qsyofs.jpg
Kind of a shark fin looking deal.
Here it is on my Vulcan fixed mag rifle:
http://i7.tinypic.com/2njda1z.jpg

I'm thinking of adding a small bracket at the back that screws into the buttstock for alittle more support. What do you think?

blkA4alb
11-20-2006, 10:34 PM
I like it :cool: .

MonsterMan
11-20-2006, 10:44 PM
Good to go! :)

MM

69Mach1
11-20-2006, 10:50 PM
That's cool. Looks very evil. Keep the ideas coming people.:)

James R.
11-20-2006, 10:59 PM
however you drop that rifle right, it breaks off and BAM instant assault weapon and instant felony if you're in the wrong company.

Regards,

James R.

Edit - I see it's a fixed mag rifle now, it begs the question why bother then however.

Blue
11-20-2006, 11:00 PM
That's cool. Looks very evil. Keep the ideas coming people.:)

I don't know what took longer, cutting the plexi on the bandsaw or figuring out how the hell to notch the back of the pistolgrip for the plexi to slide into. It's good to go though right? If I build a gripless rifle I won't catch any flak right?

Blue
11-20-2006, 11:02 PM
however you drop that rifle right, it breaks off and BAM instant assault weapon and instant felony if you're in the wrong company.

Regards,

James R.

Edit - I see it's a fixed mag rifle now, it begs the question why bother then however.

Good point. I'll add a bracket on the rear to give it more support to help it out. I put it on my factory fixed mag rifle just in case there was anything wrong with it I was still in the clear.

762cavalier
11-20-2006, 11:20 PM
I was still in the clear.

Pun intended?:D

Skammy
11-20-2006, 11:22 PM
Very very nice :D

taloft
11-20-2006, 11:36 PM
You can sand the edge of the plastic to give it a clean shape. Then just put a little heat on it with a propane torch, not too much or it will bubble. Just bring it in until the plastic starts to glass over then move it along the edge. This will give you a very clean edge, like on a glass table. Try it on a scrap piece first until you feel comfortable doing it. Also, you could use a chunk of lexan. The pistol grip would bust long before the lexan.

You can also use the heat from a heat gun to make it pliable. Put a slight wave in the middle of the part. Think of a shallow "S" curve in the plastic as you look down on it from above. This would allow you to get a decent palm on it. You could even cast your palm and set the plastic in the cast to get a reasonably good fit.

You can pick up a bonding agent from most commercial plastic suppliers. This would bond it permanently to the stock and grip.

Just some thoughts for you to play with.:o

Overall, I like the design. The transparent material doesn't detract from the normal visual flow of the rifle's design.

proraptor
11-21-2006, 9:00 AM
This is the coolest idea I have seen so far......Very cool looking

paradox
11-21-2006, 12:47 PM
I like use of plexiglass. In addition to a bracket, I'd also consider beefing it up by notching both the plexiglass and the grip so they interlock and so that you can get the epoxy on both sides. If you come into the inside of the grip 1/4 or so you should still be able to get to the screw.

nickj03b
11-21-2006, 2:52 PM
I work at a plastics manufacturing company. I have access to about anything you can think of, from colors to different thicknesses. I also have every tool imaginable. someone mentioned that the acrylic could break. We have endless scraps of polycarbonate which is clear but virtually unbreakable. Let me know I can get most things free or really really cheap.

VeryCoolCat
11-21-2006, 3:02 PM
Get some metal strips or those plastic "zipper" style things that you can use to tie trash bags.... drill some small holes.

And wrap the things around the stock/grip through the drill holes. Paint a little picture of a kitty cat on the plastic and no DOJ agent would dare touch you :p

Perhaps you could put a "groove" on the end where it touches the stock that way the stock can "fit in" with the piece of plastic.

shark92651
11-21-2006, 3:56 PM
Instead of the other suggestions on how to make it even less visible, I think you should make it more visible. You don't want to draw the attention of any LEO that may be in the area when you are using this product. I took the liberty of coming up with a suggested name and imprinting it onto the product itself for maximum visibility :D

http://static.flickr.com/99/303122901_139fc780e8_b.jpg

Santa Cruz Armory
11-21-2006, 4:27 PM
Does anyone know where to find any scrap plastic in the Santa Cruz area? What type of material should I use? what will be the easiest to work with?

A friend of mine told me there is some type of clay like stuff that you can shape, then heat in the oven and it becomes hard like plastic...anyone know what this is?

Thanks.

shark92651
11-21-2006, 4:37 PM
Does anyone know where to find any scrap plastic in the Santa Cruz area? What type of material should I use? what will be the easiest to work with?

A friend of mine told me there is some type of clay like stuff that you can shape, then heat in the oven and it becomes hard like plastic...anyone know what this is?

Thanks.

Polymer clay. It does not cure very well when in thick sections, however. I think you can build it up in layers, baking in between. It's fun stuff to play with.

sniper_jay
11-21-2006, 4:39 PM
hey bro, where's your scope??

adamsreeftank
11-21-2006, 5:15 PM
To anyone considering doing this, I recommend when you get it all done and assembled, put some padding on it and give it a whack with a hammer. If it pops off, you know it wasn't strong enough.

Remember, if you get arrested on an AW charge, there is a good chance the fin would get "lost" when they throw your rifle in the evidence locker.

That being said, it looks good. I've been planning on making something similar out of steel plate that would bolt to the grip.

JPglee1
11-21-2006, 5:18 PM
I don't know what took longer, cutting the plexi on the bandsaw or figuring out how the hell to notch the back of the pistolgrip for the plexi to slide into. It's good to go though right? If I build a gripless rifle I won't catch any flak right?

Try cutting it with a plywood blade in a circular saw or table saw....trust me ;)

I used to make 1/4" plexi windows for race cars all the time...plywood blade is where its at

JP

paradox
11-21-2006, 6:37 PM
That being said, it looks good. I've been planning on making something similar out of steel plate that would bolt to the grip.

Prior to making my kydex grip, I thought about going that route. I was even going to sharpen the edge to a simi-dull ax edge so that if any persecutor tried to claim it was a pistol grip in court I could ask him to prove it by firing it using a pistol style grasp :D

nickj03b
11-21-2006, 6:41 PM
I dont care how strong you are. There is no way 1/4" polycarb can be broken from someones hands. If you dropped it on the ground it would not break or crack. Now if you secured the polycarb poorly and it came off, thats a different story.

taloft
11-21-2006, 7:18 PM
Now would the bond be PERMANENT, or would it be REMOVABLE with a tool, like say a mallet?

If you were to groove(dado joint) the pistol grip and stock then secure a piece of Lexan with a bonding agent, the pistol grip and the stock would give out long before the fin. Lexan is a brand name for a polycarbonate resin thermoplastic. As nickj03b pointed out, it is very strong. They use this stuff to make aircraft canopies. As we all know, nothing is permanent with time and the right tools. However, they would have a nice piece of Lexan with bits of pistol grip and stock attached if they tried to remove it.:D

I'm not sure if they make a chemical that can loosen plastic bonding agents. I think some of them work at the molecular level. They literally "melt" the plastic together. I know that if you mix the stuff really hot, it is almost impossible to remove two pieces glued together without damaging one or both.

Barry Gannaway
11-21-2006, 7:22 PM
Isn't polycarbonate the material that is used to manufacture ballistic resistance barriers and such? Neat idea. Would be cool to glue some fabric or neoprene type material to the plastic and design mag pouches that could be incorporated into it. :)

taloft
11-21-2006, 7:40 PM
Yes, they use the thick stuff in banks.

mnelson78
11-21-2006, 7:56 PM
Which would be better legally, to have the fin touch the stock, or to have it NOT touch the stock? It sure would be solid if it could index into the stock and the grip...

JeepRescueService14
11-21-2006, 8:31 PM
Wow.. Of all the different ways Ive seen to get around the PG restriction this has to be one of my favorites. Although I would want to carry a copy of the DOJ definition of a pistol grip with me.

Blue
11-21-2006, 9:01 PM
I like use of plexiglass. In addition to a bracket, I'd also consider beefing it up by notching both the plexiglass and the grip so they interlock and so that you can get the epoxy on both sides. If you come into the inside of the grip 1/4 or so you should still be able to get to the screw.

That's exactly how it is right now. I didn't get a chance to add anything to connect the fin to the stock today, but we're having a Thanksgiving party at work tomorrow and I'll do it then hopefully.

Where's my scope? I haven't ordered it yet :D

Blue
11-21-2006, 9:02 PM
Wow.. Of all the different ways Ive seen to get around the PG restriction this has to be one of my favorites. Although I would want to carry a copy of the DOJ definition of a pistol grip with me.

That's what the trapdoor on the buttstock is for :D

dragonbait1a
11-21-2006, 9:54 PM
There is something to print on the plexi, the DOJ definition of Pistol Grip. you could do it as a sticker with a clear backing...

On the subject of plastic bonding:
-Cohesives bond *Similiar* Plastics (by joining them at the molecular level) the bond like a weld, really one piece.
-Adhesives bond *Dissimilar* materials. Epoxy is an adhesive. Adhesives are what you use to bond metal to wood, or polycarbonate to polyvinyl or Polyethylene. By making the bond Material 1-adhesive-Material 2. it has more joints then cohesion and therefore is theoreticaly weaker. However, 5 Minute Epoxy has been plenty stong for every use I''ve ever put it thru.

YMMV.

Fun Fact: Many plastic/polymer gun parts are Polyeythelene, just like the model planes and many toys. Model Glue works on them. As they used to say about the M-16 in Vietnam, "You Can Tell It's Mattel"

(Note: I like polymer guns and parts, this is not a dig at plastic parts or plastic modellers)

RGB