PDA

View Full Version : Walther PPK owners, say your opinion.

flatovercrest
04-24-2011, 8:17 PM
After seeing this firearm in many movies over the years, I'm really intrigued by it and want to get one.
Many owners of PPKs around here? I know they are pricey. I never see them for sale on the marketplace.
How do they shoot and other owners impressions?
TIA

Paul S
04-24-2011, 8:23 PM
Hated mine...it always munched on my hand just behind the web of my shooting hand. AKA hammer bite.:mad:

When I first bought the pistol and was several pound thinner all was fine. As soon as I aged a little and added some pounds....lunch time for the PPK/S on my hand. Even cut a pair of shooting gloves.

Gave it to my son...who is still nice and slim and should enjoy it until he starts gaining weight. YMMV

Other than that...never had a problem with it...ate any ammo I put through it
except Corbon. It was just too hot and caused stove pipes.

XDRoX
04-24-2011, 8:25 PM
My grandfather brought one back from the war. He gave it to my younger cousin. We shoot it every now and then. It's not that fun to shoot. It is a cool little gun though. Just kind of small and snappy. I've considered buying one from time to time but the fact that they are no longer made in Germany is always what stops me. If I ever see a German made used one in a shop I'll probably pick it up just for the collection, not really to shoot much. But I agree, they are very cool.

beauregard
04-24-2011, 8:28 PM
My early 90's stainless Interarms/Walther has plenty of carry and shoot time and has never had a mis-feed. My only complaint is that it's heavy for the size. As far as shooting goes, I'm always surprised at the accuracy given the barrel length. And every time I think of wearing a j-frame revolver instead I think about its 7+1 capacity as well, and carrying another magazine is way easier than a couple speedloaders.

Regulus
04-24-2011, 8:29 PM
Hated mine...it always munched on my hand just behind the web of my shooting hand. AKA hammer bite.:mad:

Yup, slide bite on my big hands makes it not so pleasant to shoot unless I consciously wrap a finger or two under the mag. It is smaller than most would figure, so a larger framed person could use it as a pocket gun.

Dependable as anything else in my safe. Never had any issues with it.

Tripper
04-24-2011, 8:31 PM
My dads ppk/s he carried fit many years, he handed it down and missed it enough to go get another one just like it, 9mm/ kurz (380)

E. Fudd
04-24-2011, 8:50 PM
My Interarms/Walther stainless had super sharp edges on the bottom of the slide and regularly gave me slide bites (two cuts, one from each side of the slide, drawing blood) until I took off the knife edges w/ a small file, then a sharpening stone. Being stainless steel, it was no big deal. No finish to mess up... Initially it had premature slide-lock issues, but that seemed to go away after the break-in period.

Now works fine w/ FMJ ammo. Accuracy is okay at SD ranges. DA pull is pretty heavy, but has smoothed out some with use.

Recoil is less snappy than some of the .380's w/ alloy frames I've owned in the past, being all steel. Ammo is on the anemic side and expensive.

Nowadays, there are compact 9mm Lugers in the same size package...

Black Majik
04-24-2011, 8:53 PM
I have a Interarms PPK that runs great, but it's not much fun to shoot. I keep it for the same reasons I keep Walthers, because they're cool. Other than that it never gets shot, snappy with pretty crappy triggers.

ScottB
04-24-2011, 8:59 PM
Hammerbite is an issue if you don't watch your grip. It got me once and made more careful. They are a bit heavier than some of the newer .380s, especially the polymer ones, but it feels solid and well made. I am always surprised at the bark it has. Mine is a stainless steel Interarms with reliability package (polished internal feed areas and trigger job) and it functions flawlessly. Surprisingly accurate too. I like shooting mine.

Trapper
04-24-2011, 9:05 PM
I'm 5'9" 180lbs and have never had a problem with slide bite. My stainless PPK is a very accurate and reliable pistol.

jben
04-24-2011, 9:05 PM
Have a look at the Bersa Thunder .380. Cheaper price. PPK like goodness. Better trigger than the PPK. I haven't experienced any bite with the Bersa even though I get it every time from any 1911 without a beaver tail.

Blue Ridge Reef
04-25-2011, 5:29 AM
If you can find a German or Manhurin proofed one, you'll have a pistol with much greater resale value than a Smith and Wesson model. The S&W's evidently still have their share of problems, though if you avoid a lemon, it will be as good a shooter as a German original. And remember that all PPK/S are made in either the US or France. If stamped "Made in W. Germany" it is a French model, tested and proofed at the Ulm, Germany plant. Still, just for collect-ability, I'd get a pre-1986 gun.

Can't buy anything here
04-25-2011, 6:03 AM
I had a German 66...beautiful gun but not fun to shoot and jammed on hard ball...sold it....wasn't worth keeping just to hold while watching old Bond films.

Charlie50
04-25-2011, 6:24 AM
Best freind carrys one, I've shot it a few times, compact, slim, hard for some folks to rack slide back, can bite web of hand, snappy little thing. His is stainless, good gun. I watched him put down an Elk a bit ago with it... sad deal , it had been hit by a car/ truck. I would carry with confidence.

awl168
04-25-2011, 6:42 AM
Not sure where you're at, but a few are listed for sale in WTS right now.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=6267812#post6267812

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=6264991#post6264991

Eirerogue
04-25-2011, 6:48 AM
Nice concept, but various manufacturers have stamped them out, to the detriment of what could be a nice little gun. It is not a fun gun and after 50 rounds, you want something else. It is concealable and you'll get arguments about the effectiveness of the .380 as a defensive round.

It desperately needed an action job, rounding of edges and throating. After all that, it still bit the hand that fed it, so I sold it.

The ONLY ++ I can give it....it's concealable as hell. But so are many other newer products with better actions, sights, etc.

B+ on history, D on a daily carry.

sneather
04-25-2011, 6:50 AM
The new models aren't on the roster, it should be pointed out. Anyone know when the last year was that they were CA legal?

Oceanbob
04-25-2011, 6:51 AM

When I first bought the pistol and was several pound thinner all was fine. As soon as I aged a little and added some pounds....lunch time for the PPK/S on my hand. Even cut a pair of shooting gloves.

Gave it to my son...who is still nice and slim and should enjoy it until he starts gaining weight. YMMV

Other than that...never had a problem with it...ate any ammo I put through it
except Corbon. It was just too hot and caused stove pipes.

The same cuts on the web of my hand. The edges are SHARP and the weapon is much to heavy for it's size.

Seriously get a GLOCK 26 instead.

morrcarr67
04-25-2011, 6:59 AM
You could also look at the CZ-50 which is patterned after the PP/K but is in 7.65(.32ACP) and much easier to shot for longer periods.

http://world.guns.ru/userfiles/images/handguns/czechoslovakia/hg193/1287752246.jpg

Rule .308
04-25-2011, 7:11 AM
I have a Manuhrin manufactured PP in .32 as well as a stainless Interarms PPK. If I got one I would get a PPK/s or a PP, I do not care for the shorter grip frame of the PPK. It is a snappy little pistol, it does ride low and will bite your hand, and while it is accurate enough it is not an easy pistol to shoot accurately. Last time I was shooting my PPK the kid I was shooting with could not get a respectable group out of it to save his life and he is a pretty decent shot with most other pistols. Myself, I can make it group just fine but you do have to work for it.

strapbytaurus
04-25-2011, 7:31 AM
is the snappiness suppressed with the Bersa 380?

Oceanbob
04-25-2011, 7:46 AM
is the snappiness suppressed with the Bersa 380?

in the recoil, snappy department. In fact, most .380s are 'snappy' mainly because most .380 platforms are 'Blowback' designs. Straight Blowback designs have more felt recoil.

My GLOCK 26 in 9MM has LESS felt recoil than any of my .380s.

9MM is less expensive to shoot than .380

I can see no reason to even own a .380 other than for collector interest.

JMO

YMMV

Bob

Miltiades
04-25-2011, 7:59 AM
I've had a blue Interarms PPK for about 12 years, buying it used on a whim. It has never failed to load, fire and eject, and has not bitten my hand unlike some other posters. The gun is quite accurate, and very flat and concealable. It weighs about 21 ounces empty, and is made entirely of steel. The best mode of carry is probably IWB on the belt in a tuckable holster.

If you use the hottest modern .380 ammo, such as the 90 grain JHP from Buffalo Bore, you can achieve a muzzle velocity of 1200 fps and 288 ft-lbs of energy, which isn't bad.

The gun is roughly the size of a steel J frame revolver, as shown below, but is much flatter.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o25/pogo2/WaltherPPK40.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o25/pogo2/SW36andWaltherPPK.jpg

Mickey D
04-25-2011, 8:27 AM
I have two older Walthers, one PPK/s in .380 and a PP in 7.65 (.32acp).

I like shooting both and are reliable with all ammo used. As mentioned, the .380 can feel snappy for those that are recoil shy.
I recommend the .32 for shooting pleasure.

PP in 7.65 (.32)
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w22/MickeyD1/Walther765LH.jpg

PPK/s in .380
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w22/MickeyD1/WaltherPPKs.jpg

beauregard
04-25-2011, 9:26 AM
As you read this thread please take note of and separate those speaking from experience and those portraying what they read on the internet as fact.

blackfalcon
04-25-2011, 10:53 AM
I have a newer PPK by Smith and Wesson (.380) and it does bite and a heavy. It is a nice size for concealed carry, but I think it is also heavy. You may want to look at Sig Sauer P232 which is very similar in size and same caliber, but it is lighter. The P232 also doesn't have an external safety though. I also have a 1935 PPK (.32) which is lighter and doesn't bite as much, but this one is mainly a safe queen.

bw762308
04-25-2011, 9:59 PM
I had a stainless PPK for a while. It was a nice looking gun, but somewhat heavy for its caliber. And even though it was no lightweight, the blowback snap made it not-so-fun to shoot. My little P380 is much easier to shoot and control.

HCz
04-25-2011, 10:04 PM
Slide cut my hand.
Had some problems feeding(Interarms)

It's in my collection because it is cool, but I'd not go out of my way to get it.

Omil
04-25-2011, 10:16 PM
It's a collector item, nice & classic IMHO!:)

Ike Arumba
04-25-2011, 10:20 PM
I have an early 1939 PPK from Zella-Mehlis (with no Nazi markings), that my uncle captured in the war. I am glad to have it, although I wouldn't go out and buy one. It does bite my hand. The sights are too small to shoot accurately from very far -- in the sense of trying to reliably hit a milk jug at 40 yards. (And even if I do hit it, it's hard to tell.) The biggest problem is the FTFs. I found that there was a little burr on the outside of the chamber that pushed on the extractor, displacing the slide sideways just enough to cause the case mouth to hang up on the lever that actuates automatic last-round hold-open. After removing that burr with a fine diamond knife sharpening steel, it works much better, but it's still not reliable enough to depend upon. It was enough to get me hooked on shooting, but also enough to make me want to buy something else to shoot. Now it is a safe queen.

resident-shooter
04-25-2011, 10:34 PM
I like !

7anthony7
04-26-2011, 9:41 PM
Hated it.... had it for about 6 months, and never liked the thing. Always wanted one though and was dissapointed. Unless I held it very akward, the web of my hand would be chewed up. Long trigger pull for first round that was a little heavy for me for a gun with a manual safety

Blue Ridge Reef
04-27-2011, 6:11 AM
To avoid slide bite, hold your thumb down. Once you adjust the grip, it will be second nature -especially since it will "remind" you if you grip it improperly! But until S&W took over manufacturing, it was a well crafted classic German/French firearm. The Ranger made guns (1978-2000?) have a good reputation too and don't have quite the collector price tags. Is it the ultimate pocket carry weapon in 2011? No, nothing that came out in 1931 is. But it is like a 1911 or Marlin 1894 to me -a cool historical firearm that still has a place in some of our collections.

morrcarr67
04-27-2011, 6:13 AM
To avoid slide bite, hold your thumb down. Once you adjust the grip, it will be second nature -especially since it will "remind" you if you grip it improperly! But until S&W took over manufacturing, it was a well crafted classic German/French firearm. The Ranger made guns (1978-2000?) have a good reputation too and don't have quite the collector price tags. Is it the ultimate pocket carry weapon in 2011? No, nothing that came out in 1931 is. But it is like a 1911 or Marlin 1894 to me -a cool historical firearm that still has a place in some of our collections.

I like your thinking.

Andy Taylor
04-27-2011, 6:26 AM
It's one of those guns that I want to like, but can't.

I've owned a PPK and a PP, both in .380. I still have a scare from slide bite on the PPK from about 15 years ago.

mossy
04-27-2011, 7:44 AM
if you have big man hands the hammer will bite you, i shot a frinds PPK, and could only get through 3 mags.

Steve1968LS2
04-27-2011, 7:50 AM
I have a newer PPK by Smith and Wesson (.380) and it does bite and a heavy. It is a nice size for concealed carry, but I think it is also heavy. You may want to look at Sig Sauer P232 which is very similar in size and same caliber, but it is lighter. The P232 also doesn't have an external safety though. I also have a 1935 PPK (.32) which is lighter and doesn't bite as much, but this one is mainly a safe queen.

Yea, I have the S&W one.. small, well made, HEAVY.. lol

Havent had a problem with bite but I don't shoot it much.. I inherited it from my step-dad.

Mickey D
04-27-2011, 8:14 AM
I have shot Colt GMs, 1911s, Walthers, Hi Powers, etc.

I have never had a hammer or slide bite.

How are you folks gripping your guns? Can someone post a picture?

ElvenSoul
04-27-2011, 8:18 AM
You can get a P4 for chezper and easier to handle...about the same size.

Can't buy anything here
04-29-2011, 1:01 PM
I have shot Colt GMs, 1911s, Walthers, Hi Powers, etc.

I have never had a hammer or slide bite.

How are you folks gripping your guns? Can someone post a picture?

Same here....

zinfull
04-29-2011, 3:00 PM
I shot a 1911 once that bit me, never again.

jerry

Wonderwhippet
04-29-2011, 3:13 PM
I love 'em. I collect 'em. I have a trunk full of 'em. But as a carry gun they are obsolete as a typewriter. You can get far more firepower in a much smaller, lighter package these days.

hnoppenberger
04-29-2011, 3:39 PM
i want one, but in 32 acp.

the 380 is too much for the little gun.
id really want a german pp or ppk, maybe french.

RedFord150
04-29-2011, 4:01 PM
Have a look at the Bersa Thunder .380. Cheaper price. PPK like goodness. Better trigger than the PPK. I haven't experienced any bite with the Bersa even though I get it every time from any 1911 without a beaver tail.

Agreed.
Twice the gun for half the price. I've owned my Bersa for around 3 or 4 years, nothing but good to say.

oddjob
04-29-2011, 4:38 PM
I have a 1967 PPK and an older S&W PPK (that wasn't recalled). Both in .380 and I like them both. The quality in the German gun is better than the S&W gun. Having said that the S&W PPK malfunctioned only once in 300-400 rds. The 67 PPK has not malfunctioned at all, but its been 30 yrs since I fired it.

I also have a PPK/S, W. German in 22lr. That thing is just plain fun to shoot. If you can find one of those....thats what I would get. I used to have a W. German PPK/S in .380 and it was very reliable. I traded it away and regret it.

beauregard
04-29-2011, 5:51 PM
Awesome pistols, look how reasonably priced they are in 100% condition (smile): http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=426537

leoffensive
04-29-2011, 6:05 PM
I've had a blue Interarms PPK for about 12 years, buying it used on a whim. It has never failed to load, fire and eject, and has not bitten my hand unlike some other posters. The gun is quite accurate, and very flat and concealable. It weighs about 21 ounces empty, and is made entirely of steel. The best mode of carry is probably IWB on the belt in a tuckable holster.

If you use the hottest modern .380 ammo, such as the 90 grain JHP from Buffalo Bore, you can achieve a muzzle velocity of 1200 fps and 288 ft-lbs of energy, which isn't bad.

The gun is roughly the size of a steel J frame revolver, as shown below, but is much flatter.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o25/pogo2/WaltherPPK40.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o25/pogo2/SW36andWaltherPPK.jpg

if you bought the smith and wesson just the other week at fine fire arms i hope you get the runs lololol cause i was gonna buy that and you bought it about an hour before i got there to buy it.

Ranger20
04-29-2011, 7:55 PM
I've had 2 PPKs One with was a Manurhin PPKS and the other recently a PPKS stamped W. Germany near new in the box.

The Manurhin went to my brother. I recently traded off the other one.

I liked them very much. I've got big hands and still didn't get the slide bite. However that is because I was target shooting them and had good hand placement. As a quick grab from a holster My big paws could over run the beavertail if you will and I'd sure get a failure to function. Having a smaller hand or being careful No worries. As a Carry gun they are weighty in compaison to my Airweight J frame. They are accurate and stay on target shot after shot quickly. Walther USA (earls repair) is the only place I'd ever have one worked on and did with my Manurhin to change springs and give it the once over prior to shooting it. The European PPKS are the only ones I'd own.. Earls wont work on the SW versions or the ones made in the USA. Ask him why you will get a earful of dislike of anything not made by the euros.
In short they are a fine beautiful weapon regardless of the fame of James Bonds ppk. They work and will handle any powerful 380 you can throw at them. Earls said the European ones are even ok with Carbine ammo I had some Fiocchi and it was HOT ammo in my Manurhin. They are accurate little guns made well and shoot excellent. NO they are not like the newest little plastic guns of today.. But to me they are timeless. and worth your consideration. First however make sure they fit your hand well. IF not then consider something for carry that does over the PPK or PPKS. If you are going to use it for carry. Otherwise they are just fun to own and shoot.

Ps. I've owned Mustangs, Sig232, PPKs, Kahrs, and the PPK was the best made by far.

That said I prefer the East German Makarov and my new SW 442 no lok Jframe..
Best to you..

paul0660
04-29-2011, 8:07 PM
Bond. James Bond.

Just lean forward, with a good grip, and they are fine.