View Full Version : Sportsman Steel Safes aka Pentagon

11-20-2006, 8:38 PM
Does anyone have any info, opinion on these? http://www.pentagonsafes.com/ They are in Long Beach. They are only like 20 minutes from me. I went down there today. They actually manufacture the safes on site there. It totally felt like the stereotypical used car salesman experience in the showroom. The guys I talked to just seemed like idiots and almost every question I asked, they didn't know the answer to but it is a 10 gauge formed safe for pretty cheap. Their fireproofing is ceramic and drywall with an air gap. I saw the locking mechanism and I thought it looked like crap. Just thin flat pieces of metal on a cam that pushes the locking bolts but then I saw the browning safe basically has the same setup but the metal was just finished a little nicer. I was looking at their jig-saw door with the double gasket too.

11-21-2006, 7:47 AM
The general consensus I've seen is if the safe is built and ready to be sold, they're fine. However, if you have to order it and put down a desposit, avoid like the plague. They have one of the worst customer service reputations I have ever seen.

12-03-2006, 8:51 PM
I know I'm late but BIG+1. I ordered mine and while the safe is good, I will never buy another from them!

12-04-2006, 1:01 AM
saw one, it was pretty nice, heavy!!

02-26-2007, 7:00 PM
I have two of their safes...I bought one back in 1998 and I love that thing, great craftsmanship and overall looked like it was well built...I bought another one, about 3 years ago and was very disappointed...It seems like the quality went down and they cut some things to save some $$$$...I recommend Liberty Safes...I sold the other Sportsman Steel Safe and bought a Liberty Safe...Much better design and craftsmanship...

02-27-2007, 6:09 PM
+1 on what 50BMGBOB said.

02-27-2007, 9:41 PM
I also made the mistake and bought one of their safes ( special forces II), While the safe does function OK, their customer services sucks. In the process of delivering the safe, they managed to make a 1/2 X 7" scratch (down to bare metal) along the side of the safe. When I called them, they acted like they could care less, and was actually doing me a favor by giving me some paint to masked the scatch.
So my advice to future Safe buyer...Do not buy a safe from this company!!!!

03-01-2007, 4:47 PM
Seems a lot of their models are 12 gauge.

For the types they have you seem to be looking at, you might want to look into Fort Knox. If you go through a dealer, you can find they discount very well. Also their customer service sounds like a lot better than what I am reading here.

03-01-2007, 5:47 PM

Visalia Safes are made to order, and they're really nice for a utilitarian gun safe. I've seen dozens of them, and every one of them was nice. They display at many of the local gun shows. They'll most likely be at Cow Palace. Their double door safes are nice and secure too. My next safe will be from them.

03-05-2007, 12:25 PM
++1 for visalia. nice safes. great price. best bang for the buck.