PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 uppers that do not require recoil tube

juha_teuvonnen
11-20-2006, 9:26 PM
Per ar15.com, Olmpic arms makes one:

Olympic Arms
.223 6.5" self contained upper that does not require a recoil tube.

Any other vendors? Anybody has any experiences with these receivers?

P.S. I want a U-15 stock and no recoil tube.

PLINK
11-20-2006, 9:30 PM
ZM

http://www.zmweapons.com/index.htm

JPglee1
11-20-2006, 9:39 PM
http://www.jcweaponry.com/images/ar15/Pistol_5.jpg
How about a SHORT buffer tube, ever seen the really short ones where the springs go up inside the bolt carrier, kinda like a FAL para bolt/top cover???

http://www.lauerweaponry.com/images/lcw15SCPistol.gif
This is what you guys are lookin for... but see how its got that tube above the barrel? Thats for a "pull" style recoil spring (pulls the bolt forward instead of pushing it...)

JP

juha_teuvonnen
11-20-2006, 9:53 PM
To me, the point of the exercise is to achieve complete lack of recoil tube. This rules out any possible claims about thumbhole stock. BTW I have no beef with weapons that have a gas piston, I own a few of them and they have never failed me to date. POF looks like a viable option to me.

blkA4alb
11-20-2006, 9:56 PM
Where do you plan to get a cheekweld then? :confused:

juha_teuvonnen
11-20-2006, 9:59 PM
Where do you plan to get a cheekweld then? :confused:

I don't need one. If I ever did, I'd figure out a way to attach it to U-15 somehow.

blkA4alb
11-20-2006, 10:01 PM
You don't need a cheekweld? This is a first.

TheMan
11-20-2006, 10:03 PM

Not when you are sprayfiring from the hip, you don't;)

Matt C
11-20-2006, 10:26 PM
Not when you are sprayfiring from the hip, you don't;)
LOL

Maybe a better option would be for somebody to design a better buffer tube that can serve as a cheek rest to be used in conjuction with the u-15.

Nefarious
11-21-2006, 5:58 AM

Yea.. havent you ever heard of a Chinweld :D

JPglee1
11-21-2006, 6:02 AM
or no weld..none of you have ever shot a wire-folder AK where you really can't get your face on the stock???

You kinda just float there, aiming thru the poor sites as they bounce all around.

JP

Crazed_SS
11-21-2006, 6:09 AM

People are shooting rifles without grips.. is it suprising someone would shoot without proper cheekweld?

Gimped rifles for the lose :(

juha_teuvonnen
11-21-2006, 8:24 AM
I own half a dozen rifles, yet I don't own a single weapon that has a cheekweld at this point. I don't see it as an issue, as it does not materially affect my ability to shoot. It never did with SVD, which was my issue weapon back in the day. Actually I kept the cheekweld off the rifle most of the time. They were "highly coveted prize" bacause they could be used as a compact makeshift pillow. Therefore they were often stolen by our fellow comrades. I remember breaking one jaw and a couple of noses over attempts to steal this stupid cheekweld.

WokMaster1
11-21-2006, 9:32 AM
I own half a dozen rifles, yet I don't own a single weapon that has a cheekweld at this point. I don't see it as an issue, as it does not materially affect my ability to shoot. It never did with SVD, which was my issue weapon back in the day. Actually I kept the cheekweld off the rifle most of the time. They were "highly coveted prize" bacause they could be used as a compact makeshift pillow. Therefore they were often stolen by our fellow comrades. I remember breaking one jaw and a couple of noses over attempts to steal this stupid cheekweld.

Wow! this is getting interesting! Tell us more, sir! I've got my beer & peanuts.:D

cornholio1
11-21-2006, 1:07 PM
Wow! this is getting interesting! Tell us more, sir! I've got my beer & peanuts.:D

Uh O

juha_teuvonnen
11-24-2006, 9:21 PM
Looks like these guys make less expensive gas-piston AR uppers:

http://www.lwrifles.com/

five.five-six
11-24-2006, 9:26 PM
I wonder how a u-15 butstock would look with no tube

juha_teuvonnen
11-24-2006, 9:49 PM
Yet another one:

http://www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com/page/page/967766.htm

juha_teuvonnen
11-24-2006, 11:03 PM
I was told that POF still requires a buffer tube. Is this true?

kantstudien
11-24-2006, 11:36 PM
If it didn't have a buffer tube, then where would the BCG go?

Harbinger
11-25-2006, 11:28 AM
Some systems, like the ZM, used a modified bolt carrier (half size, I think) and don't need a buffer tube.

The POF uses a standard bolt carrier, and thus, requires a tube.

tenpercentfirearms
11-25-2006, 11:42 AM
I would like to see this guy shoot. I didn't say shoot well, just shoot.

juha_teuvonnen
11-26-2006, 6:54 PM
I would like to see this guy shoot. I didn't say shoot well, just shoot.
I shoot K31 and various other rifles in Los Altos on regular basis.

juha_teuvonnen
11-26-2006, 6:56 PM
Some systems, like the ZM, used a modified bolt carrier (half size, I think) and don't need a buffer tube.

The POF uses a standard bolt carrier, and thus, requires a tube.
This rules out POF option for me.

Tweak338
11-26-2006, 7:08 PM
You can try and find the Olympic Arms OA93 Upper..

I see one every now and then on Arfcom

Mssr. Eleganté
11-26-2006, 8:00 PM
I own half a dozen rifles, yet I don't own a single weapon that has a cheekweld at this point.

I shoot K31 and various other rifles in Los Altos on regular basis.

I think we have some "cheekweld" vs. "cheek rest" confusion going on in this thread. :p

I cheek rest will help you get a better cheekweld. A cheek rest is something a rifle stock can have, while a cheekweld is more of an interaction between a shooter's face and a rifle stock.

If you fire your K31 from the shoulder with your face up against the stock then you are firing with a cheekweld. If you fire from the hip then you are firing without a cheekweld. If you add material to your stock to raise the comb so you can get a better cheekweld when using a scope then you are firing with a cheek rest. :D

juha_teuvonnen
11-26-2006, 8:10 PM
I think we have some "cheekweld" vs. "cheek rest" confusion going on in this thread. :p

I cheek rest will help you get a better cheekweld. A cheek rest is something a rifle stock can have, while a cheekweld is more of an interaction between a shooter's face and a rifle stock.

If you fire your K31 from the shoulder with your face up against the stock then you are firing with a cheekweld. If you fire from the hip then you are firing without a cheekweld. If you add material to your stock to raise the comb so you can get a better cheekweld when using a scope then you are firing with a cheek rest. :D
You are right. I admit, English is my second language. I used the word 'cheekweld' instead of 'cheekrest'. I did fire various weapons, some with folding stocks that did not allow for much of a cheekweld, though. It's a bit more difficult to shoot this way, but not by much IMHO.