PDA

View Full Version : Newbie in SFV.

mkga14
04-24-2011, 7:24 PM
Hey all,

Just started shooting and have been doing some homework, figured best way to really get some info is from the people in my own area. Great forum.

I'm interested to buying a Glock 17 3rd gen, since 4th is off limits from my understanding.

Question is where could I get one? I tried a generic Google map search and it just came up with Turners in Reseda and a few shooting ranges. How much does it usually run? Is it possible to get factory installed Tritium night sights or will I need to buy them aftermarket and hire someone to do them?

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong area, just another rookie with tons of questions. :confused:

FourLoko
04-24-2011, 7:31 PM
I would check out www.oaktreegunclub.com or www.islandviewent.com

Chontkleer
04-24-2011, 7:32 PM
If they don't have one at Turner's they can probably order it for you easily. Give them a call tomorrow.

Rhythm of Life
04-24-2011, 7:44 PM
Fort Courage Armory is close to the SFV. They are my #1 gun store. Turners doesn't care enough about their customers, I mean really does it take an hour to release a gun when no one else is in the store? Nope, they just would rather sit in the back and BS than help a customer get his $1000 gun.

romerosanchez
04-24-2011, 8:05 PM
P&D gun supply in San Fernando is a small local gun shop. Dmitry is a great guy. Support the small business.

SGGear
04-24-2011, 8:15 PM
Welcome. I prefer buying em online. Check out www.budsgunshop.com

den888
04-24-2011, 9:30 PM
Welcome!

flyingjalapeno
04-24-2011, 10:35 PM
Welcome, Yeah I had tons a questions when I joined 2-3 weeks ago and I still have questions. But the members on here are great so ask many questions and soak in the knowledge.

bsg
04-25-2011, 12:38 AM
if you come out to the san gabriel valley, there are a few small places that carry the Glock; Bain & Davis in san gabriel and Alamo in west covina. Alamo has been out, but will be getting a shipment in; if they haven't already.

Spetsnazos
04-25-2011, 12:44 AM
Fort Courage Armory is close to the SFV. They are my #1 gun store. Turners doesn't care enough about their customers, I mean really does it take an hour to release a gun when no one else is in the store? Nope, they just would rather sit in the back and BS than help a customer get his $1000 gun.

I live in Northridge and Fort Courage is not that close. They are great guys and great customer service, but its at least a 30-40min drive to get to them. Their inventory is horrible.

Turners gets a bad rap but if you're cool with them and don't demand instant service then they're fine. Fort Courage helps you really quickly because they don't have 10+ people in their store. Respect goes both ways. But then again i don't subscribe to "customer is always right" mentality.

mikaarce
04-25-2011, 6:18 AM
Welcome and goodluck on your search

mkga14
04-25-2011, 7:03 AM
Wow, thanks guys. I didn't expect such a quick response. Well I got family out in the 805 and I'm sometimes out in the SGV but I prefer to stay local. Ordering online seems like a good idea, but don't you still have to pay roughly an extra $150 in fees and paper work? Thats just what I heard, more than likely I'm wrong, lol.

I'll check out P.D. and turners today if I can. Or at lease call them and see how they deal with a newbie :chris:

Thanks for the info guys. Would anyone know if Glock has Tritium night sights installed from factory? A friend suggested that factory will be more true as appose to someone installing them and "eye balling" them. Any thoughts?

Thanks again!

SGGear
04-25-2011, 11:57 AM
Wow, thanks guys. I didn't expect such a quick response. Well I got family out in the 805 and I'm sometimes out in the SGV but I prefer to stay local. Ordering online seems like a good idea, but don't you still have to pay roughly an extra $150 in fees and paper work? Thats just what I heard, more than likely I'm wrong, lol.

I'll check out P.D. and turners today if I can. Or at lease call them and see how they deal with a newbie :chris:

Thanks for the info guys. Would anyone know if Glock has Tritium night sights installed from factory? A friend suggested that factory will be more true as appose to someone installing them and "eye balling" them. Any thoughts?

Thanks again!

You can find good deals on line. Most online stores are about 15-20% cheaper. I know budsgunshop offers free shipping. And you pay $55-75 for paperwork depending on where you start the dros. I pay $75 at a local range in Brea to support their business, but you can find cheaper stores that ll do em for about 55. Just make sure you give the online store a call and see if the model you want is approved in CA and if they are willing to ship.

Big E
04-25-2011, 1:43 PM
Welcome to the site. No problem posting you first question here as part of your check in. You'll learn the site layout quickly enough. Regarding customer service at various stores, it's all subjective. I'm pretty critical about stuff like that normally, but I don't mind waiting if others are being helped or they are processing paperwork. But if a store is backed up, I won't wait if I don't see customers being readily attended to. Regarding the sights, when I was looking into changing mine as well. It looked like something I could do myself (but I'm mechanically inclined). The rear site looks simple; the front site not so intuitive, but doable. If you not good with your hands, leave it for the professionals.

zod
04-25-2011, 7:10 PM
Welcome aboard. Enjoy. Good luck on your search.

.22guy
04-25-2011, 7:52 PM
Welcome to Calguns! :)

dellgsg5
04-25-2011, 7:54 PM
Welcome to Calguns.

Kodemonkey
04-25-2011, 8:01 PM
Oaktree in Santa clarita is a 20 min drive from the valley. There is a Turners in Reseda, but I like dealing with Oaktree better. Bought 3 guns there, ask for Victor he will take care of you. You can also rent a bunch of guns at Oaktree and you might find something different you like. They have a wide selection of rentals. Guessing over 50. and if you buy it at Oaktree you can shoot it while it is still in "jail" (10 day waiting period). You also get one free range fee as well. Nice folk there and they are doing a TON of business now.

mkga14
04-25-2011, 8:21 PM
Nice !! Now I have a few places to visit/call. Thanks for the recommendations. Guess I'll find some place in the forums to ask some Glock questions now :confused:

Kidkoala
04-26-2011, 11:19 AM
Hey, there are about 3 gun shops in Burbank on magnolia blvd. I've only been to one of them, but the staff were friendly and they are pretty new. Been there since November. I took that as a positive sign as all I have heard so far is gun shops are closing down.

PM me if you want more details as I'm not sure of the open posting rules for this forum.

DeanW66
04-27-2011, 1:30 AM
Welcome aboard!