PDA

View Full Version : sigpro da trigger pull

calisigpro
04-24-2011, 4:11 PM
hello all, this is my first post although i've been following the many forum topics for about a year now. as my nick shows, i have an sp2022 (first handgun) purchased in 2010. i've shot about 300 rounds and so far the gun has been great at the range.

when shooting double action, i've learned to squeeze the trigger using the tip of my finger because the break point is almost at or near the back of the guard. if i don't use the tip of my index finger, i run out of leverage and squeezing all the way slowly becomes very difficult.

is this normal for a sigpro? anybody else experience the same da trigger pull? i have the small grip installed.

thanks in advance.

Fishslayer
04-24-2011, 5:01 PM
Most DA/SA have a long, kinda mooshy DA pull. My wife's 2022 does. Practice with it.

A smith might be able to do something with it, maybe not.

guitargeak99
04-24-2011, 6:11 PM
This same thing happened to me when I installed the "short trigger" on my 2022. I ended up putting the factory trigger back on. I have heard people say that some SP2022's come with the "short trigger" installed, but I don't know if this is true.

plsmyk
04-24-2011, 6:40 PM
I had the same experience as guitargeek99 but with a P228. I switched back to the stock trigger after trying the "short" trigger. I didn't like it at all.

gorenut
04-24-2011, 6:45 PM
This same thing happened to me when I installed the "short trigger" on my 2022. I ended up putting the factory trigger back on. I have heard people say that some SP2022's come with the "short trigger" installed, but I don't know if this is true.

Pretty much this. Most new sig pros come with the short trigger. I'm not a fan and prefer the original trigger

9mmepiphany
04-24-2011, 7:02 PM
Before you go spend money on the short trigger and tear the gun down to install it...or pay someone to do it...you might try it with the larger backstrap.

BTW, you are pressing the trigger correctly...with the tip

calisigpro
04-24-2011, 7:27 PM
thank you all for the feedback.

9mm, i had a medium backstrap but i found it hard to reach the decocker with it on but it's perfect with the small grip. so is trigger press with the tip the correct way to do it with all handguns and not just with my sigpro situation?

glad to hear that i can try something out to improve the da pull given my situation. so is the effect of the standard trigger basically moving the length of the da stroke farther up front by x mm's? how can i tell if i have the short trigger or the standard trigger (purchased in 2010)? any recommended gunsmiths in the los angeles or san fernando valley area that can install the standard trigger (assuming i have a short trigger)?

AaronC11
04-24-2011, 7:39 PM
The DA trigger pull on the 2022 takes a good tug and it's tough to know when it's going to break. I don't care for the DA trigger, but once it's in SA it's a very nice factory trigger. My Beretta has a much better trigger all aroud. The DA pull is smooth and at least 3 lbs lighter.

9mmepiphany
04-24-2011, 7:52 PM
thank you all for the feedback.

9mm, i had a medium backstrap but i found it hard to reach the decocker with it on but it's perfect with the small grip. so is trigger press with the tip the correct way to do it with all handguns and not just with my sigpro situation?

glad to hear that i can try something out to improve the da pull given my situation. so is the effect of the standard trigger basically moving the length of the da stroke farther up front by x mm's? how can i tell if i have the short trigger or the standard trigger (purchased in 2010)? any recommended gunsmiths in the los angeles or san fernando valley area that can install the standard trigger (assuming i have a short trigger)?
While there have been different schools of thought on it...well, really only two...the goal should be to use as little finger on the trigger, for the DA stroke, as you can for all auto pistols. That way you don't have to shift your finger between the DA and SA trigger press...plus it makes it easier to press the trigger straight to the rear.

I've always shifted my grip when de-cocking...but then I do that to hit the magazine release too. You could even do both with your support hand thumb.

The old standard trigger doesn't affect the length of the trigger stroke. Short Trigger is a misnomer...it is really just thinner. The standard trigger is thicker (front to back), so that your finger, when on the face of the trigger, is further away from the rear of the trigger guard

calisigpro
05-06-2011, 9:03 PM
just a quick update - i sent my sp2022 to the factory for a standard (thicker) trigger installation. the pistol arrived today and the good news is there's a very noticeable difference in the da pull when dry firing. the da pull is now so much easier to accomplish. the tip of my index finger no longer gets sore during da dry firing. $75 for standard trigger, installation, and roundtrip shipping. i'm very satisfied with this change.

Voo
05-07-2011, 1:32 AM
+1 to what 9mm stated

As a side note, the first time I took a class with my P226 DA/SA was a total nightmare. I had never practiced the DA trigger pull up to that point. I was all over the target at 7 yards. After the first day, I had to switch over to my Glock35 as my hand/arm was just too strained.

Once the class was all said and done, I made it a point to specifically practice the DA pull. I almost want to say that it should be a requisite that anyone with a DA/SA gun (like the Sig) needs to learn the DA pull. IMHO, you're putting yourself at a distinct disadvantage by not doing so.

Nachoman
05-07-2011, 8:43 AM
+1 to what 9mm stated

As a side note, the first time I took a class with my P226 DA/SA was a total nightmare. I had never practiced the DA trigger pull up to that point. I was all over the target at 7 yards. After the first day, I had to switch over to my Glock35 as my hand/arm was just too strained.

Once the class was all said and done, I made it a point to specifically practice the DA pull. I almost want to say that it should be a requisite that anyone with a DA/SA gun (like the Sig) needs to learn the DA pull. IMHO, you're putting yourself at a distinct disadvantage by not doing so.

I had a similar experience during my very first training class, where initially my DA shot wasn't up to snuff. However the constant repition during the class put it pretty much on par with my SA shots. There was another guy with a Sig who initially tried to cheat and cock the hammer after drawing, however the instructor put a stop to that really quickly. He became really proficient at the DA as well.