PDA

View Full Version : AK OLL question

nearsightednate
11-20-2006, 7:43 PM
Hi everybody.

I've read up on the AR type OLL's, but I need to know more about AK type OLL's. Are there certain makes and models to stay away from? What about the kits, Romanian, Polish, etc., what are better/more desirable? What are your experiences with them?

Thanks for your wealth of information.

Nate

cornholio1
11-20-2006, 8:05 PM
search the old threads. same questions came up b4

rorschach
11-20-2006, 8:06 PM
I'm currently in the middle of a Romy "G" kit build on a Nodakspud reciever. So far so good- only difficult part so far was pounding out the barrel pin with a BFH. All the Romy parts fit the NDS-3 receiver pretty good, I don't anticipate having to do any major fitting other than cutting an extra slot for a double hook trigger.

All the Nodakspud receivers are offlist. You can get good parts kits from bocefus on AKfiles, I got mine from Cope's, but bocefus is cheaper.

Check out akfiles.com for a cornucopia of info.

PLINK
11-20-2006, 8:21 PM
I'm currently in the middle of a Romy "G" kit build on a Nodakspud reciever. So far so good- only difficult part so far was pounding out the barrel pin with a BFH. All the Romy parts fit the NDS-3 receiver pretty good, I don't anticipate having to do any major fitting other than cutting an extra slot for a double hook trigger.

All the Nodakspud receivers are offlist. You can get good parts kits from bocefus on AKfiles, I got mine from Cope's, but bocefus is cheaper.

Check out akfiles.com for a cornucopia of info.

Did your Romy "G" kit from Copes have a nice front half (barrel, barrel trinnion, ect) but a crappy rear half (rear trinnion, stock, etc)? It's almost like mine was from two different guns. My front half looks nice and the back half has some rust on the butt plate and sling swivel. I don't care too much because I don't plan on using the stock but it kinda sucks for a hand picked kit.

rorschach
11-20-2006, 8:33 PM
No, actually both front and rear sections were very nice. The stock was a little dinged, but I'm replacing it with US made plastic stuff anyway.

PanzerAce
11-20-2006, 8:33 PM
Did your Romy "G" kit from Copes have a nice front half (barrel, barrel trinnion, ect) but a crappy rear half (rear trinnion, stock, etc)? It's almost like mine was from two different guns. My front half looks nice and the back half has some rust on the butt plate and sling swivel. I don't care too much because I don't plan on using the stock but it kinda sucks for a hand picked kit.

really? that sucks. Mine was in great condition overall. (and now that I finally have found a machine shop whos owner is a gun person, I need to finally get around to cleaning it all up and getting ready to build it)

wilit
11-20-2006, 11:20 PM
I'm in the middle of a Yugo underfolder build on a Nodak NDS-4 receiver. Yugo's require a little more work than the Romy's, but it's not impossible to the average person with the right tools. The front trunions are a little harder to rivet on the Yugos because the rivet placement is different that the non-bulged trunions. But there are excellent tutorials out there for creating the proper rivet tools and jigs for both the Romy's and Yugo's.