PDA

View Full Version : Gun Broker Question here in SoCal...

sneather
04-24-2011, 1:52 PM
Hey all:

I'm looking into purchasing a pistol via (probably) Gun Broker. It would be a DOJ-approved weapon, so no funny business. My searches here have come up a little empty, but I'd appreciate some first-hand advice from people with experience.

I'm in the LA area, so I'd like to find a gun-store that has the lowest transfer fees, and is the nicest to work with in administering such a transfer. I have seen some of the FFL lists, but again, those are just arbitrary lists, nothing close to subjective reviews.

Also, any other tips in making the process work smoothly both in terms of buying a new firearm through Gun Broker, and on the local transfer end???

Thanks so much.

sneather
04-24-2011, 1:57 PM
Also. One other question. I have read through much of the "magazine" sticky, but much of the seams to focus on the details of the law. What I'd like to know is what happens if I buy a gun which comes with a fifteen-round magazine, via Gun Broker. Does the FFL dealer I pick here in SoCal take those mags, and swap me for 10-rounders? Do they disassemble the large-caps and give them to me? Do they smash them to bits...? Some of the above, or none of the above?

Cheers.

DannyZRC
04-24-2011, 2:07 PM
lot of people selling on gunbroker won't ship to CA, even if it's a CA DOJ approved firearm.

the FFL could legally disassemble the magazines and hand them over to you as parts, but not all will. the FFL could keep the rebuild kits and give you 10 rounders but it would be as their service, they are under no obligation. They could not hand you complete magazines exceeding 10rd capacity.

Josh3239
04-24-2011, 2:13 PM
Most out of state sellers are uncomfortable selling disassembled high caps to CA. I tell them to either make them rebuild kits, switch them for 10rd mags, or just don't send them. Most of them won't send mags, some will swap for 10rd mags.

The only two inexpensive dealers I know is an individual in Newbury Park who charges $65 or $70 total and Fort Courage in Simi who will charge $75-$80 total. The total will cover DROS, transfer fee, and sales tax.

glockwise2000
04-24-2011, 2:15 PM
Which part of LA are you from. North? South?

If you are in the northern part, then, Burbank has a couple that DROS from OOS transfer. Common price nowadays is $75.

glockwise2000
04-24-2011, 2:18 PM
Fort Courage in Simi who will charge 80% total.

80%? Since when? I know FCA charges $75 ($25 DROS + $50 dealer fee) + 8.25% user tax.

sneather
04-24-2011, 2:21 PM
Thank you, all.

I'm south LA.

I haven't seen any disclaimers on the guns I have currently been considering at auction on Gun Broker. I guess I would need to email the seller to confirm both that they would sell to CA and also what they would do with the mags, to begin with.

sneather
04-24-2011, 2:23 PM
80%? Since when? I know FCA charges $75 ($25 DROS + $50 dealer fee) + 8.25% user tax.

Maybe he meant to type "$80"?
It seems like ~$70 is fair and reasonable, as that means that the dealer is only making $50 for their trouble, right?

As for state sales tax, if the weapon originates out of state, do they still have to add sales tax? That wouldn't apply with other retail items.

Josh3239
04-24-2011, 2:24 PM
Oops, hit the wrong symbol. I meant $80. I'll change it in my OP. Last time I was at Fort Courage, I thought it came out to $80. Is that incorrect?

sneather
04-24-2011, 2:37 PM
Any word on having to pay CA sales tax on out of state pistols?

dunc289
04-24-2011, 2:52 PM
Rettings charge $80, but I believe the DROS is on top of that. (I asked them about a week ago.)

The no sales to Cali thing sucks balls, but there's plenty of vendors out the there for the rifle I'm looking for that will still work with us.

Presumably the sales tax is on the $80, because you've already paid the original vendor.

Not all bad news in other words.

sneather
04-24-2011, 2:57 PM
You should not be paying sales tax to a FFl transfer if you paid for the gun to an out of state seller.
Typical transfer fees $60 - $85, covers the DROS and FFL fees. If you don't buy the gun from the FFL dealer where you are doing the DROS, the FFL needs to make some money to keep the shop open and pay his annual FFL fees to the state. The State charges the FFL $25 of which the FFL gets none of from the total fees you pay.
I was looking for a particualr gun on GunBroker, Guns America. 99% of the sellers would NOT ship to California. Even if it is a State approved gun. I think one seller sees another seller write that disclosure on the ad so they all do it, not understanding why. It really punishes us in this state. Especially when you are looking for a hard to come by gun, in my case a S&W model 625 in .45 LC.

Thanks. I'm totally fine with paying the "going average" transfer fee at a dealer, as they should certainly be compensated for their work.

Like I said, I hadn't noticed any disclaimers on the several guns I looked at, but I'll need to email the seller to confirm. The tough thing is to actually figure out whether there is any deal to be had, going that way. Certain models are hard enough to get in California, that it's not always easy to pin a baseline for price. So once you add in the shipping costs, and associated FFL transfer costs, it could be more money to go that route.

J-cat
04-24-2011, 3:09 PM
When I called the board of equalization I was told that if buy a gun from a private party out of state then I don't have to pay the use tax. If I buy from a dealer who sells more than five guns to California, I have to pay the use tax. When I emailed the board of equalization, they responded I have to pay the use tax regardless.

I feel that PPT in or out of state are use tax exempt and based on equity I would probably win in court. The state wants to strip every last dime it can, but I doubt it has the ability to enforce this against everyone.

morfeeis
04-24-2011, 3:16 PM
if you are anywhere near the palmdale/lancaster area try Safe Space shooting, they bare great.......

sneather
04-24-2011, 3:41 PM
Yeah, not quite close enough to Palmdale/Lancaster.

I don't quite understand what the story is with sales tax. It would either be assessed or not, right. If the product is being re-sold with CA, then I would expect it would apply. But if I purchase the gun from out of state, then I'm paying that person, not the FFL dealer here in CA. I would only be responsible to pay CA sales tax on cost of the service the CA dealer provides. No?

gorenut
04-24-2011, 4:08 PM
If you're willing to drive down to Anaheim, you might wanna hit up Don at Straightline Tactical. I've done many Gunbroker purchases with him as FFL. If you contact him, he can walk you through the process. His charge is $70. You can even talk to him about disassembling the mags upon arrival. I know a lot of FFLs will just keep the mags if they're above 10 rounds.

sneather
04-24-2011, 4:30 PM
If you're willing to drive down to Anaheim, you might wanna hit up Don at Straightline Tactical. I've done many Gunbroker purchases with him as FFL. If you contact him, he can walk you through the process. His charge is $70. You can even talk to him about disassembling the mags upon arrival. I know a lot of FFLs will just keep the mags if they're above 10 rounds.

Excellent! That sounds like just the kind of guy I'd like to do business with, if it works out. Anaheim is just a few minutes away, so not a big deal at all. Thanks so much.

ruddogg
04-24-2011, 7:59 PM
+1 for don @ straightline, I've transferred 4 guns via gunbroker to him. $70 out the door. He used to be $50 out the door. You can also try mike at of armory www.ocarmory.com i've done 2 transfers to him. He's also $70 out the door.

sneather
04-24-2011, 8:47 PM
Thanks for that additional recommendation.

For the both of you who have had success getting Gun Broker deals into CA, are there any particular dealers or individuals you'd be able to recommend? People who know the system, and understand that it's legal to sell their weapons to those of us here in Cali.