PDA

View Full Version : Would a clip-on target light be something you might buy?

BigFatGuy
04-24-2011, 1:22 PM
I'm thinking about the possibility of producing a line of lights that would clip onto a target stand or target hanger to provide light on the target for night shoots, dimly lit indoor ranges, etc.

The light would rake the target at a fairly low angle, so it might even help highlight hits on the target.

Since this might get shot, I will avoid batteries, avoid metal parts as much as possible, use LED's instead of light bulbs, etc...

Keep in mind these would be hand made in my house, so they may have a somewhat ghetto-fabulous appearance to them, especially in the first couple of generations

How much would you pay for a light that could illuminate a target in this manner? Would such a product interest you at all?

sk8804
04-24-2011, 3:21 PM
it would be awesome for people who shoot in the desert alot. Night shoots are cool.

CSACANNONEER
04-24-2011, 3:26 PM
I see them getting shot up too much to be worthwhile for most shooters I've seen at public ranges.

bsg
04-24-2011, 6:31 PM
I see them getting shot up too much to be worthwhile for most shooters I've seen at public ranges.

+1 on that.

VictorFranko
04-24-2011, 6:40 PM
Unless the BG is going to illuminate himself with a similar light, what is the point of training on a target so illuminated?
Not trying to curb your creative juices BFG, just trying to be realistic.

Cokebottle
04-24-2011, 6:50 PM
I think I would rather risk shooting a couple of CR3032 lithium cells than shooting an AC power supply... and no power in the dez.

BigFatGuy
04-24-2011, 7:34 PM
I think I would rather risk shooting a couple of CR3032 lithium cells than shooting an AC power supply... and no power in the dez.

I'm planning on using "super" capacitors. You'd recharge them at home, they should give several hours of light, and if you shoot them there's no toxic chemicals.

Plus, those little lithium cells are freaking expensive after a while.

@VicktorFranko:

Some people just like to shoot targets.

NorCalAthlete
04-25-2011, 1:20 AM
What's the problem with just using a regular spotlight on your target? Plenty of portable ones you could setup and aim at your target.

BigFatGuy
04-25-2011, 12:33 PM
For one, these would fit into a pistol bag... and work in places without power sources.

Thanks for the input, everyone.