PDA

View Full Version : Finally got the new toy to the range

whipkiller
04-24-2011, 11:33 AM
Pretty sad that it took two months to make it the 2 miles down to a local range.

Got there late, so I didn't have much time, only got to shoot about 60-70 rounds out of the SA Loaded. (I also had to try out a Marlin 795 that's been sitting here unfired.)

One target is the very first mag (@ 7 yards) yanking low & left. (My first .45, think I was anticipating a little?)

The other target is the rest of the first box, starting to get dialed in a little)

I really need to practice more.

ElvenSoul
04-24-2011, 11:39 AM
That is good shooting!

whipkiller
04-24-2011, 11:43 AM
That is good shooting!

Thanks, I'm thinking maybe it's a good gun.

bline01
04-24-2011, 12:06 PM
not bad...i'm sure you can do better with practice since those sa's are great out of the box. btw, i purchased three pistols last month and have yet to shoot them lol.

whipkiller
04-24-2011, 1:24 PM
not bad...i'm sure you can do better with practice since those sa's are great out of the box. btw, i purchased three pistols last month and have yet to shoot them lol.

Yeah, I expected better from myself, but it really is a perishable skill and I haven't been shooting much lately.

I just remembered that some of those headshots (left) were strong-hand only.

whipkiller
04-24-2011, 5:31 PM
So I tried the SA factory mag expecting a bunch of problems because of everything I've been reading, and it fed fine.

What are the usual problems with the factory mags? I only shot one or two mags from the SA mag 'cuz I didn't want to mess with malfunctions, jams, etc.
I mostly used the Chip McCormick.

Lumpia is sarap!
04-24-2011, 6:54 PM
Still combat effective. Great job popping the cherry!

Oceanbob
04-24-2011, 6:56 PM
Get ready to spend more $ on your future collection..Hahaha...

Nice shooting!...

Have fun
Bob

whipkiller
04-25-2011, 7:50 AM
So what exactly is the knock on the SA factory mags?

FTF's, or what? I shot 1 or 2 mags through the SA mag, and it seemed to work fine.
What type of problem(s) am I looking for?

red_eyez
04-25-2011, 8:59 AM
same here, I've got around 500 rds thru my SA Mil Spec with 2 mags came with it fine. Not a single hick up.

Ubermcoupe
04-25-2011, 10:20 AM
Love SA! :D

whipkiller
04-25-2011, 2:46 PM
So what exactly is the knock on the SA factory mags?

FTF's, or what? I shot 1 or 2 mags through the SA mag, and it seemed to work fine.
What type of problem(s) am I looking for?

Anybody?

Erin
04-25-2011, 2:54 PM
i wont shoot anything but springfield mags thru my XD. im sure your talking specifically 1911 though.

in my xd 1500 rds in the last two years. zero malfuntions of any kind, mag or otherwize

whipkiller
04-25-2011, 4:19 PM
i wont shoot anything but springfield mags thru my XD. im sure your talking specifically 1911 though.

in my xd 1500 rds in the last two years. zero malfuntions of any kind, mag or otherwize

Yeah, 1911. I kept reading how the SA factory 1911 mags were problematic, and now I don't recall if I ever heard exactly what the problem was.

I guess I'll just have to keep shooting them and see what happens.

gobi fish
04-25-2011, 4:22 PM
That is good shooting!

mmm idk man, My hipoint has much tighter groups and it isn't the awesome 1911! seems like you may need more pratice and help with recoil. do you know anyone with a .44mag? perhaps a few shotgun sessions will calm your nerves.

whipkiller
04-25-2011, 7:09 PM
mmm idk man, My hipoint has much tighter groups and it isn't the awesome 1911! seems like you may need more pratice and help with recoil. do you know anyone with a .44mag? perhaps a few shotgun sessions will calm your nerves.

:rofl2:

whipkiller
04-26-2011, 10:12 AM

Man, if that isn't motivation to get used to the new gun and tighten up my groups, I don't know what is!

1911 guys, help me out here, I just got owned by a Hipoint!:confused::helpsmilie:

MoBait
04-29-2011, 9:41 AM
unless there's something wrong with your gun, it WILL shoot a 1 hole 5 shot group at 7 yards. It just seems you need practice. A good way to tell if you're flinching is to load several mags and to put a snap cap in one of the mags. Mix up the mags till you forget which has the dummy round. Then while you're shooting you will drop the hammer on the snap cap and notice an embarrassing flinch. I still flinch sometimes, especially when shooting a 12 gauge at ducks, however, it doesn't happen at the range anymore, I'm assuming it's adrenaline related and probably would be a lot worse if instead of ducks coming at me, PCP heads were. Make sure your grip isn't too tight on the pistol. When I started shooting pistols I always tried to strangle the gun to death. Ease up a little and your accuracy may improve. Do a lot of dry fire exercises at home. Usually at night when watching TV or in bed I dry fire myself to sleep. Then I can have dreams about guns and shooting and learn even more. I have come to the conclusion that when you understand the physics of how something operates, any dreams you have regarding the object will be a learning experience. Many of my dreams involve me running out of ammo and the gun having a 35 pound trigger, so the training is limited but worth it. Good luck with the gun, I had a SA GI and I shot tighter groups with it than any other handgun I shot.