PDA

View Full Version : Building .308 ???

marxdspot
11-20-2006, 4:42 PM
Hi All.

I was thinking about building a .308 AR. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start? My main concern is purchasing the right parts. I wasn't sure if the most or some of the parts for a .223 were interchangeable with a .308. Please advise me with your wisdom. Thanks.:)

grammaton76
11-20-2006, 5:07 PM
Presently, your only choice in a 308 AR is the HAR-25. Other folks will have to chime in with info on the parts, but basically you can regard the Hesse HAR-25 as a "90% AR-10 receiver", since it will require a bunch of work - but ultimately you can get AR-10 uppers to work with it.

C.G.
11-20-2006, 8:15 PM
Presently, your only choice in a 308 AR is the HAR-25. Other folks will have to chime in with info on the parts, but basically you can regard the Hesse HAR-25 as a "90% AR-10 receiver", since it will require a bunch of work - but ultimately you can get AR-10 uppers to work with it.

I disagree that it is a "90% AR-10 receiver." I have two, both had a crappy finish, but lined up fine with an AR-10 upper. The only mod was opening up mag catch slot to fit the new and larger Armalite mag catch. Both work fine, but I used all Armalite AR-10 parts on the HAR-25 built.
I think part of the problem (eventhough there may have been some HAR-25 out of spec, but then there are Stags out of spec, too) is going cheap and using cheap AR-15 parts or inexperience on the part of the builder

ohsmily
11-20-2006, 8:20 PM
Hi All.

I was thinking about building a .308 AR. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start? My main concern is purchasing the right parts. I wasn't sure if the most or some of the parts for a .223 were interchangeable with a .308. Please advise me with your wisdom. Thanks.:)

what receiver were you planning on using? The 308 catridge is too long to fit in a standard ar-15 receiver.

sniper_jay
11-20-2006, 9:31 PM
i thought we could legally get RRA lowers for .308 (AR-10).. have i been misinformed?:confused:

69Mach1
11-20-2006, 9:41 PM
i thought we could legally get RRA lowers for .308 (AR-10).. have i been misinformed?:confused:

Nope, you haven't been misinformed. What Grammaton means is that right at this moment, your only choice is the Hesse HAR25. You can't buy an RRA .308 rifle until they're released sometime early next year.

Sailormilan2
11-21-2006, 12:29 PM
To bad you want an AR in 308. There are other things you can turn into a 308.

jemaddux
11-21-2006, 1:00 PM
Nope, you haven't been misinformed. What Grammaton means is that right at this moment, your only choice is the Hesse HAR25. You can't buy an RRA .308 rifle until they're released sometime early next year.

Few other things to consider when looking at a .308 (AR10). First off the RRA .308 will only be a .308 semi auto firearm, it will not be a AR10. Meaning you will only be able to use RRA parts with the firearm according to RRA. Second thing I found out today is that most places offering a AR10 complete upper is out of stock on most of the parts to build and ship one. DPMS told me today that they are looking a 16 to 26 week time frame for shippment, Brownells is out of all DPMS parts also. Armalite just said they would not be able to give time of shipment and the cost of a Armalite upper is around a thousand. It looks like what has happened is that none of these companies expected to get the sudden rise in sales that they did. They put all efforts into parts kits and other stuff trying to keep up with orders. Now is just a major catch up time. Most of the parts for .223 is pretty easy to get because that is what everyone wanted so now that people are looking for .308 parts its not going to be there. If you plan on building one, buy your lower while you can just in case. Then expect to wait a while to get it built.:(

bwiese
11-21-2006, 1:14 PM
James Maddux has it right.

Non-Armalite 308 AR stuff is few & far between, these are not really production items.

Armalite has made way more AR10s than all other 308 AR mfgrs, and in fact the 1990s "new Armalite" has made way more AR10s than all *original* total 308 orders from the "old Armalite" (and its licensees) back in the 60s/70s.

AR15.COM Equipment Exchange usu has some AR10 uppers being sold, so that's an option, but again they're pretty much all Armalite ;)

SemiAutoSam
11-21-2006, 1:23 PM
Also keep in mind AR10 mag interchangeability as in not all mags fit all lowers in the AR10 family. I would think Armalite would be the standard but. I do not believe there is a mil spec like with AR15 series weapons.

Feel free to correct if you feel I'm mistaken.

five.five-six
11-21-2006, 1:27 PM
James Maddux has it right.

Non-Armalite 308 AR stuff is few & far between, these are not really production items.

Armalite has made way more AR10s than all other 308 AR mfgrs, and in fact the 1990s "new Armalite" has made way more AR10s than all *original* total 308 orders from the "old Armalite" (and its licensees) back in the 60s/70s.

AR15.COM Equipment Exchange usu has some AR10 uppers being sold, so that's an option, but again they're pretty much all Armalite ;)

if you are patiant, you can find an upper for ~ $500, then you need a bolt group and charging handle

bolt group ~$250 used, charging handle $65 new but you end up with a .308 that kicks like a *****cat

cornholio1
11-21-2006, 5:41 PM
Also keep in mind AR10 mag interchangeability as in not all mags fit all lowers in the AR10 family. I would think Armalite would be the standard but. I do not believe there is a mil spec like with AR15 series weapons.

Feel free to correct if you feel I'm mistaken.

Your right. All "AR10" designs different by their respective manufacturer

C.G.
11-22-2006, 8:03 AM
if you are patiant, you can find an upper for ~ $500, then you need a bolt group and charging handle

bolt group ~$250 used, charging handle $65 new but you end up with a .308 that kicks like a *****cat

Kick is relative, I guess; my Har-25/AR-10 kicks less then my FAL.

mike452
11-22-2006, 8:58 AM
I just completed one with a 24" upper for a friend. I wouldn't call pushing pins considers building and AR. Very easy.

I should have done this:
Get the HAR-25 complete lower then buy the Eagle Arms AR10 upper (I think is complete for $430) from Armalite Summer Sale, get an AR10 10rd magazine. Done!

The bolt will touch the follower in the magazine, but feeds fine with ammo.

Or wait and get a complete RRA LAR-10 sometime in 2007. There might already be a line 6 months long.