PDA

View Full Version : I need to refinish a 10/22 reciever

motorwerks
04-24-2011, 11:40 AM
So I'm buying a 10/22 from a friend the receiver has been bead blasted because when he got it, it had a garbage Kyrlon job and looked like hell. Well what would you guys recommend I was looking at gun-cote, and dura-cote but I haven't ever had to refinish a gun other then my shotgun that I dropped off at a gunsmith for rebluing.

I am however a DIY guy, I own a compressor, and spray gun, have fab, and painting skills and I play home gunsmith while my kids are napping. I'm just not sure what will hold up the longest, and be the most durable.

I think I want black, because I really want an OD houge stock and I'm leaning toward a black Tactical Solutions barrel because I really like the look.

What would you guys recommend, and if you have pictures too that would be AWESOME! I like to look, anyhow thanks in advance.... and I did try search but I didn't really have any luck.

foesgth
04-24-2011, 12:02 PM
How can you not do this...? (http://www.timbersedgecamo.com/Illusion-Skulls.html)

GreenAndy
04-24-2011, 2:47 PM
Check out the spray on finishes that Brownells sells. They are easy to use and come in a variety of colors. I used the Teflon Moly on my 10/22 receiver and barrel about 10 yrs ago and it still looks good. I used the stainless steel color at the time. I would use green or black today. I applied with an air brush. bead blast or sand blast first and make sure it's clean and oil free. Standard painting rules apply.

here is a photo.
http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad119/craighennings/4sale/P2240333.jpg

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad119/craighennings/4sale/P2240330.jpg

motorwerks
04-24-2011, 4:06 PM
How can you not do this...? (http://www.timbersedgecamo.com/Illusion-Skulls.html)

thats just not in the cards :D

motorwerks
04-24-2011, 4:07 PM
Check out the spray on finishes that Brownells sells.

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad119/craighennings/4sale/P2240330.jpg

That looks REALLY good! I may have to give that a shot.

10-22
04-24-2011, 8:31 PM
I'd get it anodized.

motorwerks
04-24-2011, 9:20 PM
I'd get it anodized.

Any recommendations for the Sacramento area?

bohoki
04-24-2011, 9:30 PM
wow you painted the buttplate too was that metal or plastic?

10-22
04-25-2011, 6:28 AM
Any recommendations for the Sacramento area?

Not specifically, I'd use google and call around. Tell them your needs, someone will be able to do what you want.

Sky_DiveR
04-25-2011, 12:03 PM
Sounds like ya need to Duracoat or Gun Kote, since you probably already have the tools and skill. Duracoat doesn't need heat curing but would be nice to fully cure... otherwise it takes up to 6 weeks to fully cure. Duracoat is very flexible and durable and I've yet to see one flake if properly applied. In other words... it's tuff to remove without sand blasting the part. Duracoat does have a wider selection of colors.

Gun Kote is a flat Teflon based paint so it does have some lubricating properties. I believe that in only come as a heat cured product.

I think durability after fully cured for both are comparable but I've only seen acouple of examples of Gun-Kote.

I'm no expert on these two coatings, these are just my biased observations. YMMV

motorwerks
04-25-2011, 3:08 PM
Thats all good information for sure. I just happen to have a toaster oven in my garage that I picked up a while back in case something like this came up. I'm not sure I have an oven large enough to do the barrel should I decide to do it too though. So I guess I could just stuff an ear plug into muzzle and go to work. Hell I haven't even picked the damn thing up yet and I have a new stock for it already. :D

1-M-42
04-25-2011, 3:12 PM
Duracoat is good but another option is to polish out the receiver and replace the barrel with an stainless steel bull, swap out the trigger assembly or polish it out as well....

motorwerks
04-25-2011, 6:11 PM
Duracoat is good but another option is to polish out the receiver and replace the barrel with an stainless steel bull, swap out the trigger assembly or polish it out as well....

It has a stainless bull barrel on it now I hadn't really thought about polishing the receiver. I have the tools to do that, I love polishing stuff but I thought this was a regular steel upper I didn't think it was stainless.... I don't really know how that would look with OD Houge ether.

santamonica9
04-25-2011, 9:47 PM
please post up pics....before, during stages & after - many people have poorly done factory paint on the 10/22's. I think its to keep the cost low :)

motorwerks
04-25-2011, 10:40 PM
please post up pics....before, during stages & after - many people have poorly done factory paint on the 10/22's. I think its to keep the cost low :)

Will do I'm picking it up in the next couple of days.

1-M-42
04-26-2011, 8:26 AM
The receivers are alum. and polish up very nicely. I've done several, it matches up with the SS barrels.

motorwerks
04-26-2011, 10:15 AM
The receivers are alum. and polish up very nicely. I've done several, it matches up with the SS barrels.

I wonder how that would look with an OD green stock?

santamonica9
04-26-2011, 11:11 AM

what is done to polish up the reciever please. Do you sand down the cracking factory paint? Use a paint stripper and just go to town on the polishing compound and dremel? I hate the paint cracking on my 10/22 so polishing it might be a good option but how do you protect the receiver that is now bare? would it not be weaker to damage by the elements ie. rust?

thanks, i too am stuck on this same issue of paint for the 10/22

1-M-42
04-26-2011, 12:37 PM
On the older receivers you pretty much have to blast the anodize off. On newer ones, it's little more then crinkle paint. Spray them with a paint remover (the one I use is "airplane" something or the other, get it at WalMart). Scrape the goo off and rinse really well. Any metal polish will work, I happen to use Mother's Mag Polish, others are just as good. You can use a Dremel, polishing wheel or do it by hand, I've done all three. The polished alum. looks almost like a nickel finish if you work at it. You can also use one of the scratch pads (like your use to clean dishes) and drag it across after it's finished. This leaves it with a finish similar to that of the stainless steel barrel. DON'T polish inside the barrel channel and be careful if you polish the inside, it's alum, once you've done too much you can't take it back. You can do the same thing to the trigger housing if it's one of the old metal ones. If not, you can replace it with a grey/silver housing available from several after market locations.

1-M-42
04-26-2011, 12:39 PM
As for protecting the finish, the last one I did is on the rifle I shoot the most. I have not touched it since first using the Mother's Mag Polish on it other then to clean the rifle. It still looks the same. All you would have to do to fix it up would be to polish it quickly.

1-M-42
04-26-2011, 12:42 PM
I wonder how that would look with an OD green stock?

It looks really nice. I did one a year ago that had an E.R. Shaw Stainless Steel bull and put it into a Hogue Ghillie OD Green stock, really nice contrast. My keeper is the same set up with a grey/silver drop in Hornet Product trigger assembly in a Boyds Birch three color thumbhole stock. It is really nice

1-M-42
04-26-2011, 12:44 PM
go to www.rimfirecentral.com and check out the 10/22 gallery. Lots of examples.

santamonica9
04-26-2011, 6:29 PM
On the older receivers you pretty much have to blast the anodize off. On newer ones, it's little more then crinkle paint. Spray them with a paint remover (the one I use is "airplane" something or the other, get it at WalMart). Scrape the goo off and rinse really well. Any metal polish will work, I happen to use Mother's Mag Polish, others are just as good. You can use a Dremel, polishing wheel or do it by hand, I've done all three. The polished alum. looks almost like a nickel finish if you work at it. You can also use one of the scratch pads (like your use to clean dishes) and drag it across after it's finished. This leaves it with a finish similar to that of the stainless steel barrel. DON'T polish inside the barrel channel and be careful if you polish the inside, it's alum, once you've done too much you can't take it back. You can do the same thing to the trigger housing if it's one of the old metal ones. If not, you can replace it with a grey/silver housing available from several after market locations.

thanks - going to check out rimfirecentral to get more ideas - thanks again

motorwerks
05-03-2011, 2:30 PM
So....... now I may be polishing it. I'm taking my wife out to shoot it if she likes it, I'm Staining the target stock pink and polishing EVERYTHING that's aluminum or stainless (for some girly bling) for her birthday. Her friends will be super jealous. :D

IF she does end up with it, I'm just buying myself a new cheap 10/22 in black so I don't have to refinish this one in Black. I wanted to get an aftermarket trigger with a metal housing anyway.

I'll still keep you guys updated.

norcal-ar
05-05-2011, 8:45 PM
was looking into this as well. I have the stainless mode,l and was thinking of using enterprise arms. having them use their hard chrome finish on it. well... if they ever get back to me.

ojisan
05-05-2011, 9:14 PM
So, yeah, one of my kit bodies had a paint flaw so I tried to touch it up and it only looked worse.
Since I had a ugly receiver with the new crinkle coat finish flaking off, I hit them both with paint remover to strip then refinish them.
The powder coating took a lot of scrubbing to get off, with some areas ending up polished smooth.
So I kept polishing and cleaning up, thinking this kinda looks nice in a way.
Sorta pimp-gun ish.
I really got carried away when I ordered up a stainless finned barrel.
Uh oh, now all the other parts need polishing too.
Do not get carried away with this polishing thing....
http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc324/scottwerx/P6200107.jpg

motorwerks
05-07-2011, 8:58 PM

Thats one of the top 3 coolest things I have ever seen. :D

santamonica9
05-08-2011, 12:11 PM
So, yeah, one of my kit bodies had a paint flaw so I tried to touch it up and it only looked worse.
Since I had a ugly receiver with the new crinkle coat finish flaking off, I hit them both with paint remover to strip then refinish them.
The powder coating took a lot of scrubbing to get off, with some areas ending up polished smooth.
So I kept polishing and cleaning up, thinking this kinda looks nice in a way.
Sorta pimp-gun ish.
I really got carried away when I ordered up a stainless finned barrel.
Uh oh, now all the other parts need polishing too.
Do not get carried away with this polishing thing....

ive shot that thing, the pic is not doing any justice. Ojisan built a tack-driving shiny 10/22 Tommy Gun -> VERY NICE