PDA

View Full Version : No fishing threads???

Thrillbilly
11-20-2006, 5:39 PM
Just wanted to start a thread about fishing. How many of ya are into fishing, and what type of fishing do ya like. Ill start with myself. I probably fish as much as I shoot. I like all kinds of fishing from Saltwater to Catfishing. However I do prefer freshwater stream fly fishing. I would say my scond is a tie between surf fishing with a light action rod and standard stream with a light action rod.

jmlivingston
11-20-2006, 6:04 PM
Freshwater stream in the Eastern Sierra's, prefer the little creeks with the native trout rather than the stocked ones. Usually use worms, occasionally eggs.

Also do some beaverpond fishing in south-central Colorado. Up there, simple lures like a Kastmaster work very well. Again, I'll use worms in some of the streams in the area. Occasionally a dry fly on a small lake, but rarely and not very succesfully.

John

SemiAutoSam
11-20-2006, 6:47 PM
Haven't been in a long time but there is a place my M&D would take me back in the 60's and 70's.

Its still there today although I have no idea if the fishing is still as good as it was then.

Mac Arther Burney falls / Lake Britton. and the streams around that area were great for LMB and rainbow trout fishing.

The best Rainbow trout fishing was at the base of the falls.

And real good eatin trout cooked on a open fire.

Fjold
11-20-2006, 6:52 PM
I fish for minnows.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/YFT96.jpg

Thrillbilly
11-20-2006, 6:52 PM
Here is a stream I used to fish when I was living down in Valencia. It is nice as it has wild trout in the upper areas (only about a half a mile hike). The lower areas are stocked so I never fished there. Ive had equal luck with flies and worms. But agree with ya there are quite a few nice streams in the sierras. My last Sierra trip I went up to a place called Kennedy Meadows.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/sashathelen/99344450_l.jpg

rorschach
11-20-2006, 7:26 PM
I dont get out as much as I should, a few trips to the Seal Beach pier, maybe a 3/4 day boat to Catalina once every summer. Got albacore limits on a 2 day trip out of San Diego a few years back. Wish I had the time for another trip.

FatKatMatt
11-20-2006, 7:35 PM
I like fishing with my Dad every so often, but us together can't catch a thing, ever. The most I've ever caught was a few baby trout. Oh well.

jmlivingston
11-20-2006, 7:35 PM
Here is a stream I used to fish when I was living down in Valencia. It is nice as it has wild trout in the upper areas (only about a half a mile hike). The lower areas are stocked so I never fished there. Ive had equal luck with flies and worms. But agree with ya there are quite a few nice streams in the sierras. My last Sierra trip I went up to a place called Kennedy Meadows.

I've never been up there, but pass the turn-off several times a year on my way up to the Owens Valley area. What's it like up there, is it crowded like the OV areas can get?

John

taloft
11-20-2006, 7:45 PM
I like fishing when I have the time. Fresh water at the Reservoirs here in San Diego county. Saltwater fishing is always good. Occasional nights hoop netting lobsters this time of year as well. Haven't been fishing at all this year.:( I wanted to, but never had the time, now it isn't worth getting a licence just to renew in a month. No worries, my friends have kept me stocked with yellow tail, and tuna this season.:D

jemaddux
11-20-2006, 8:54 PM
If there is water and fish, I'M IN!!!!!!!!!:D

Kestryll
11-20-2006, 9:33 PM
I like fishing when I have the time. Fresh water at the Reservoirs here in San Diego county.

What is the name of the man made 'lake' that I think is just west and north of the shopping center of the 94? I think the shopping center is called College Grove or used to be. I used to go fishing there waaay back when, when I was a kid!

taloft
11-20-2006, 9:52 PM
I think you mean Chollas it is a man made pond that is only open to kids under 15 years of age. At first I thought you were talking about lake murray in la mesa. I edited this post accordingly.

anotherone
11-20-2006, 9:55 PM
I just wish they'd leave threads up for longer in this forum :(! Nobody got a chance to see my invitation for duck hunting.

JamesY
11-20-2006, 10:41 PM
I do more fishing than shooting. I usually go to local lakes and catch trout, cats, bass, etc. I've recently been hitting the surf for perch, striper, halibut, etc.

It's crab season now, so I've tried to go crabbing lately. I don't have a boat, so I just hit up the piers. Not much luck so far.

We should plan a salmon trip next season. I like going on the Flying Fish out of Berkeley marina. This salmon season kinda sucked, but hopefully, it picks up next year. The rockfishing has been very good this season though. Easy limits.

Kestryll
11-20-2006, 10:42 PM
I think you mean Chollas it is a man made pond that is only open to kids under 15 years of age. At first I thought you were talking about lake murray in la mesa. I edited this post accordingly.

I think Chollas is it, I was a fair bit under 15 when I used to go up there. Back then 'tackle' was a dowel with line, a hook, weight and a bobber tied to the end!
I kind of remember Lake Murray as well. I grew up down in Lemon Grove/Spring Valley. We lived just off the intersection of Massachusetts and Mount Vernon and in Spring Valley by Jamacha and Sweetwater.

Oh man, the memories of childhood...

anotherone
11-20-2006, 11:07 PM
Oh man, the memories of childhood...

Back when I grew up in one of the smallest counties in Michigan I thought life was boring as heck. Working summers on the farm, fishing with cane poles, giggin frogs, and hunting. Looking forward to ice fishing in the winter and building snowmen and riding my bike in the 4th of July parade. Man I just didn't know how good I had it back then... best days of my life and I just let 'em fly on by.

Sheldon
11-21-2006, 2:34 AM
Have not done much the lately but for a few years I was hitting the 3/4 and 1/2 day trips out of the local salt water landings. Have done a few 2 1/2 day trips as well. I like to hit the local jetty and piers too.

hitnrun
11-21-2006, 4:45 AM
I prefer saltwater fishing for sharks, salmon, and tuna. I like to crab on occasion as well. However, as that is not always feasable, I do like salmon, striper, sturgeon, and trout fishing in the freshwater venues.

Thrillbilly
11-21-2006, 11:14 AM
I've never been up there, but pass the turn-off several times a year on my way up to the Owens Valley area. What's it like up there, is it crowded like the OV areas can get?

John
I went with a buddy of mine. It was too bad as far as we ran into noone there. But I think next time I will take a firearm as we saw quite a few bears up there. We had to sneak up un the stream as the wild browns there are quite skiddish and will hide even if they see your shadow.

jmlivingston
11-21-2006, 11:29 AM
Hhhmmm..... I have an unfilled bear tag, maybe I need to take a drive! :D Unfortunately, with the holidays and family events coming on this is really just wishfull thinking.

John

paradox
11-21-2006, 12:50 PM

John

As a local, I don't like Kennedy Meadows because it is a bit overcrowded. In that area of my county, I recommend trying out Beardsley Lake and the Emigrant Wilderness. Beardsley is nice lake fishing in a beautiful, steep canyon. Even better for boulderhoppers like us is the afterbay and down stream through the middle fork canyon. East of Beardsley, past Pinecrest and Dodge Ridge is the Emigrant Wilderness. This has some of the most beautiful granite formations Iíve seen and lots of high mountain lakes linked by a nice trail system. If youíre camping at Pinecrest, you can do a day trip to fish camp lake, bear lake and their streams. To really experience the area, you should spend a couple of days backpacking.

Raspy
11-21-2006, 4:21 PM
<><> I like fishing the Smith for King
Salmon--- and Steelhead...

Sometimes I'll drift the river in my
driftboat---other times if I feel
lazy--- I'll plunk...

Last year was my best year for
Steelhead in 16 years,,, haven't
caught any yet this year--- I've
only fished three times so far this
year... Supposed to go tomorrow
if it dosen't rain too hard...

=============================

<><> Raspy <><>

dw1784
11-21-2006, 11:39 PM
haven't done any saltwater stuff for a while, mostly freshwater right now. In my neck of the woods, it's Silverwood, Big Bear, Lake Perris and a few county ponds.

Here's some trout I caught at Silverwood and my friend's strippers at Castaic:

anyone's got weird recipes? like coca-cola, 7-up, italian dressing marinades, etc.

Thrillbilly
11-22-2006, 12:01 AM
haven't done any saltwater stuff for a while, mostly freshwater right now. In my neck of the woods, it's Silverwood, Big Bear, Lake Perris and a few county ponds.

Here's some trout I caught at Silverwood and my friend's strippers at Castaic:

anyone's got weird recipes? like coca-cola, 7-up, italian dressing marinades, etc.

Thought the second pic looked familiar (I grew up in Castaic). The last time I fished there was about 2 years ago. My buddy and I had bad luck all day. As we were thinking of leaving I caught one. It was about a 16" carry over rainbow trout. Then right after that my buddy hooked into one that was around the same size. They were the only two fish caught that day.