PDA

View Full Version : GSG5 reliable or not?

getafterit
04-24-2011, 11:16 AM
Just wondering what you GSG5 owners think of your rifles. I have read a little on the net about owners having their bolts crack or blowing up. Also read that many are seeing FTF as well as FTE issues.
I understand that the differences in gen 1 to gen 2 guns are cosmetic so I can only assume that the above mentioned issues have not been corrected.
What are you guys that own em seeing with yours. Are they worth having as anything more than a tin can shooter. Price not being a factor are they worth buying?
Please keep in mind that in my opinion having a firearm that is not as close as possible to 100% reliable is not worth owning. I only say this as I treat all my firearms as a defensive weapon, even if it is only a 22lr.
Thanks for any and al input.

Fish-n-Shoot
04-24-2011, 1:56 PM
I love my gsg-5, and don't regret even a penny spent on it. No jams or failures of any kind with about 400 shots through it. Heck of a gun.

jimbos44
04-24-2011, 3:14 PM
The gsg is the king of kool ! Everyone wants to shoot it. Use lots of WD-40 from people drooling on it LOL. Federal and winchester ammo no problems. Love the big forearm on my SD. can jumper at 50yds all day long. I just need a collapsible stock and a red dot. High cap rebuild kits for private use . JUST BUY ONE !!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

USMC VET
04-24-2011, 3:15 PM
I love mine. About 1500 through it with only a few ftf's but this was only due to my not cleaning it after about 4-500 rnds. It will certainly suprise you in the accuracy dept. too. Although I haven't done it yet but I'd recommended getting the push pin and hex bolt upgrades for under 40 bucks.

Mamluke
04-24-2011, 3:29 PM
I love my gsg-5, and don't regret even a penny spent on it. No jams or failures of any kind with about 400 shots through it. Heck of a gun.

400 is not enough... I just shot 1000 rounds of Federal Champion 36 grain HP, 1260 fps in ONE WEEKEND!!!... I did not have any problems, but since I got the H&K, I have easily put through it about 8000 rounds... Just a couple of FTF, and one FTE!... I have used both CCI and Federal ammo...mostly Federal lately... no worries!!
As for the GSG5, bewARE of CHinesE ClONes.... :D....(just kidding)...!!!

getafterit
04-24-2011, 3:43 PM
Nice. I was hoping to get some positive feedback on this.
What are the current prices you guys are seeing.
I have one on hold for $399 at my local hole in the wall.
Seems like a fair price. It is a gen 1 though. I have not checked for the updated dummy can though. I will do that before I take it out of the shop.

getafterit
04-24-2011, 3:49 PM
Does anyone know if the collapsable stocks that RRages sells are any good?

BroncoBob
04-24-2011, 3:56 PM
I've run thousands of rounds through mine never an issue with FTF, FTE what ever!

Massappeal
04-24-2011, 4:17 PM
Only 500 rounds through mine! works like a champ! People always want to shoot it, looks like a beast and works like a beast!
I have the 1st gen.

Oldrice
04-24-2011, 4:22 PM
I've had mine (a 2nd generation model) for about two years and have fired approximately 7,000 rounds through it - 90% of which was Federal bulk pack from WalMart. Very few malfunctions and that was only when it was extremely dirty. I like my Sig 522 more, but I'm glad that I bought the GSG-5 when I did. It's alot of fun.

I have an ATI collapsible stock on mine and it works, but it's kind of cheap and wobbles a little. If you get one, just use care opening and closing it; the locking mechanism will last longer.

Also, if you do buy one, definitely invest in a screw kit and a charging handle buffer. RRages has them, too.

When cleaning it, make sure that you use the water-soluable Hoppe's - not the regular solvent stuff or Gunscrubber, or you'll take the finish right off the weapon. Also periodically disassemble your magazines and clean them as well. You'll be amazed at how much crap gets inside of them.

getafterit
04-24-2011, 4:25 PM
oldrice, are the collapsable stocks that RRages sells anygood?

InGrAM
04-24-2011, 6:53 PM
I have not shot to many rounds through my gsg-5 SD. Maybe 2000 or so. Not one problem. Shoots even the cheapest of crap ammo I put into it.

The ONLY thing I do not like about the gun, is that the empty shells hit the edge of the ejection port and it has marred the finish off of the side of the ejection port. Other than that it is an awesome little shooter. (and it looks WAY cooler than a 10/22) ;)

Quiet
04-24-2011, 7:30 PM
I have a 1st gen GSG-5.
I have 2000 rounds through it.
There have been 7 failure to feeds with it due to operator induced errors.

I like it, it's a great little plinker.
Main compliant, shoulder stock wobbles. Need to find a more solid stock.

IMO...
Out of all the currently available tacticool .22LR rifles on the market, the SIG-522 is the best.

Oldrice
04-25-2011, 1:23 AM
oldrice, are the collapsable stocks that RRages sells anygood?

I can only speak for the one that I have - which is this one on his site: http://rrages.com/stocks/retract2/index.htm ... and it's cheap.

I'm seriously thinking about doing the "expandable foam and lead weight thing" to the original, full length shoulder stock of mine and reinstalling it. The collapsible stock looks cool - and it does work - but it is becoming impractical for truly accurate shooting because of the wobble.

I agree with you Quiet... the Sig 522 is outstanding.

getafterit
04-25-2011, 6:33 PM
I can only speak for the one that I have - which is this one on his site: http://rrages.com/stocks/retract2/index.htm ... and it's cheap.

I'm seriously thinking about doing the "expandable foam and lead weight thing" to the original, full length shoulder stock of mine and reinstalling it. The collapsible stock looks cool - and it does work - but it is becoming impractical for truly accurate shooting because of the wobble.

I agree with you Quiet... the Sig 522 is outstanding.
Just so Im clear, by cheap you mean ummm....garbage?
What is the wobble from the factory stock about? Can one see it from handiling or do you have to shoot it for the wobble to come into play?
Thanks

Oldrice
04-26-2011, 1:28 AM
I wouldn't go so far as to call it garbage, but many of it's components are manufactured out of plastic and simply don't hold up. The spring locking mechanism in this particular stock is especially prone to failure.

The "stock wobble" is clearly evident just in handling.

getafterit
04-26-2011, 6:48 AM
thanks oldrice. I did a little poking around and see that the classic army might be a better choice for durability. Anyone have any experience with the CA version?

getafterit
04-26-2011, 5:16 PM
Have any of you guys run CCI Blazers through your GSG? Seen em somewhere online for $1+ per 50.
Seems like a good deal to me....if the GSG will digest em.

davek8s
04-26-2011, 10:38 PM
I have a gsg-5 with the CA stock. It's not perfect, the wobble isn't to bad. But since it's not a target rifle i really don't mind it. I only buy federal 550's because all my 22's love it. They've never been a problem in the gsg. It's a fun plinker and just a good gun.

That said, I consided the gsg-5 to be more of a toy than say my 10/22 or henery H001t. Even my S&W 15/22 seems to be of higher quality. I just don't see the gsg as a gun that my grand kids will be shooting in 20 years. But thats just an opinion.

To answer your question, mine has been 100% reliable

getafterit
04-27-2011, 6:12 AM
Hey guys, just wanted to thank everyone for their input.
I bit the bullet and ordered mine. I opted for the SD model. Had it shipped to my FFL from Range Master. Price with shipping and tax was a bit steep at $482 but it is what I wanted so that counts I guess.
Cant wait to get it.
Thanks again for all the input.

davek8s
04-27-2011, 8:22 AM
While you're waiting for it, now is a good time to order yourself a claw mount and the replacement screw set

getafterit
04-28-2011, 5:54 PM
While you're waiting for it, now is a good time to order yourself a claw mount and the replacement screw set
I plan on getting the screw set and maybe the push pins. Not sure if I need the claw mount or not. Not sure if I want to add an optic to it.
I still cant decide on a stock...Classic Army or the factory GSG stock?
Help me decide this one please.

davek8s
04-28-2011, 9:02 PM
I have the classic army. Since it's a colapisble stock there is some wiggle, but its really not a big deal. I don't think you'll be dissapointed either way

jimbos44
04-29-2011, 7:50 AM
I was looking on e-bay, and saw the M4 style stock. Does anyone have one? Wondered how they looked, felt, and the "wobble" was compared to theother retractable stock. And has anyone checked out the UAG red dot, that mounts directly to the gun? I like this thread:cool:

shadow65
04-29-2011, 12:58 PM
Mine was very reliable. I just couldn't warm up to it. Too toy like.

Nate87
04-29-2011, 1:07 PM
you know, at first i HATED my GSG. It had WAAAY to many failure to feed, failure to extract, stove pipes, double feeds. It just pissed me off in general and regretted ever buying it. I even hated LOOKING at it......... BUT, its seemed to have come into its own now. I dont know what it was but one day it just started working, and working and working. HECK, one day i went through about 2000 rounds of remington bulk with minimal issues but mostly due to bad ammo. Just kept her lubed up and it kept going.

So i dont know if it needed a brake in period or what because even with CCI minimags it would still have issues but now it shoots everything and its since climbed back onto my good side.

Justintoxicated
04-29-2011, 1:52 PM
mine sometimes would have trouble loading the next round, but I think it was the ****ty ammo I was using. Not enough pop, and I was getting like 4-5 FOOT groups lol