PDA

View Full Version : Misfires at the range...

flyingjalapeno
04-24-2011, 10:03 AM
So when a misfire happens at an indoor range what do I do? Do indoor ranges have a procedure for this? Just wanted to be informed incase this were to happen to me.

kazman
04-24-2011, 11:17 AM
Define what you mean by misfire

kemasa
04-24-2011, 11:41 AM
There are many types of "misfires". Squib loads and hang fires are two which are especially dangerous, if you don't know what to do. While it is an idea to get assistance, in reality you should know what to do and not trust someone else, who might not have a clue, to assist you.

In the case of a hang fire, you need to keep the firearm pointed down range at all times. It can take longer than you might expect. A friend had a hang fire with some old military ammo and thought that he had waited long enough and just as he was about to open the bolt, it went off. He learned to wait longer :-). I think around 2-3 minutes, although less might be ok, but you don't want to take a chance.

For a squib load, or for anytime the firearm does not sound or feel right, you need to clear the firearm and then ensure that the barrel is not obstructed (do not look down the barrel of a loaded firearm, as I heard a police officer did many years ago, fortunately nothing happened, other than almost causing a heart attack of the instructor). Clear the firearm and take it down to allow for a safe look through the barrel (this can be done off the line, which might be a good idea since if others see you, they won't know what you are doing.

You should NOT leave a loaded firearm lying around a gun range unattended. If you are alone, wait a couple of minutes for a possible hang fire and then unload the firearm.

flyingjalapeno
04-24-2011, 9:37 PM
Thanks for the info, it hasn't happened to me yet but I rather be informed on what to do then make a mistake later.

Packy14
04-24-2011, 11:07 PM
i'm bad.. every so often a .22lr fails to go bang..i wait 5 seconds and rack the slide and eject it, i can't imagine waiting 3 minutes.

BayAreaShooter
04-24-2011, 11:35 PM
I don't think I have ever had a center fire round not go off. I get .22lr that fail to go off all the time. I will wait maybe 30 seconds usually less and take out the round. I will inspect it and if all is well I will try and shoot it again. Normally .22lr will shoot the second time around. If it were center fire I would wait a good 1-2 minutes and then take the round out. I personally would try to fire it again but thats just me.

Packy14
04-24-2011, 11:39 PM
Ya, i usually try to fire it again, 70% of the time it goes off the 2nd time even though it got hit good the first time w/out success. That's why rimfire is not a self defense round (if not for other reasons). I think i've only ever had a centerfire round not go bang that was reloaded, can't recall a factory round in many 1000's.

Big E
04-25-2011, 1:24 PM
There are many types of "misfires". Squib loads and hang fires are two which are especially dangerous, if you don't know what to do. While it is an idea to get assistance, in reality you should know what to do and not trust someone else, who might not have a clue, to assist you.

In the case of a hang fire, you need to keep the firearm pointed down range at all times. It can take longer than you might expect. A friend had a hang fire with some old military ammo and thought that he had waited long enough and just as he was about to open the bolt, it went off. He learned to wait longer :-). I think around 2-3 minutes, although less might be ok, but you don't want to take a chance.

For a squib load, or for anytime the firearm does not sound or feel right, you need to clear the firearm and then ensure that the barrel is not obstructed (do not look down the barrel of a loaded firearm, as I heard a police officer did many years ago, fortunately nothing happened, other than almost causing a heart attack of the instructor). Clear the firearm and take it down to allow for a safe look through the barrel (this can be done off the line, which might be a good idea since if others see you, they won't know what you are doing.

You should NOT leave a loaded firearm lying around a gun range unattended. If you are alone, wait a couple of minutes for a possible hang fire and then unload the firearm.

Yep, that's basically my proceedure. Not sure if it's 2-3 minutes, but definitely longer than 1. It also has a lot to do with knowing your weapon. If I pull the trigger and nothing happens, I immediately start going through my mental checklist of possible problems while I'm still on target. If I get to the end on my list and nothing, then I can take my eyes off the target and start to addess the problem. I've seen guy's immediately start to put the gun down and it go off.....that' when it's time to take a break.

Maybe one of the experts here can add.

kemasa
04-25-2011, 1:30 PM
The issue is that you don't want to partially open the breech and have the round go off. The question is how long to wait, which can be longer than you think, especially if you are dealing with old military ammo or ammo that has had oil get into it.

Big E
04-25-2011, 2:23 PM
Good point. I wasn't considering old ammo (I don't shoot the stuff personally, and I rotate my stock).

Surf & Turf
04-25-2011, 2:46 PM
Why don't you just eject the round? What's the difference of waiting 1' or 3 ' as you would have to eject anyhow?

Even if it goes off after ejection, what is bad about it if it's not in a barrel and on the ground?

What is the consensus on this?

scorpionking
04-25-2011, 2:47 PM
Check your gun like this and make sure the range safety officer and everyone else is watching you......LOL!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=95491&stc=1&d=1303771623

Nodda Duma
04-25-2011, 2:49 PM
Why don't you just eject the round? What's the difference of waiting 1' or 3 ' as you would have to eject anyhow?

Even if it goes off after ejection, what is bad about it if it's not in a barrel and on the ground?

What is the consensus on this?

The problem is if it goes off while you are opening the bolt...you end up with a firing out of battery condition, which is very bad.