PDA

View Full Version : Stamp Painting the AR receiver???

marxdspot
11-20-2006, 4:37 PM
Hi All.

I've been looking at some really nice AR's on the site. <I'm a novice to the AR>. I noticed that some of the logo stamping on the lowers are painted white. I was thinking about purchasing a CMMG lower and thought the logo was worth getting painted. Can this be done at home? If so, does anyone have any advice on how to get started? If not, does anyone have any referrals to take the my lower's stamping to get painted? I'm in L.A. County. Thanks.

Oh...if you have yours painted, do you think you can show off your lowers with some nice pics. Thanks.

bu-bye
11-20-2006, 4:50 PM
All it takes is a crayon. Take a crayon and rub over the logo or writing a bunch of times to get the wax pushed in to the cracks. Then take a rag and rub over the whole thing. The color in the cracks will stay while the rest comes off. It does take a lot of rubbing to get all the color off so don't think a min or two will cut it.

762cavalier
11-20-2006, 4:54 PM
I use white china marker(grease pencil). It is easier to get into the stampings than crayon and you can wipe the excess off of the receiver with a rag with a little Hoppe's on it.;)

marxdspot
11-20-2006, 4:54 PM
All it takes is a crayon. Take a crayon and rub over the logo or writing a bunch of times to get the wax pushed in to the cracks. Then take a rag and rub over the whole thing. The color in the cracks will stay while the rest comes off. It does take a lot of rubbing to get all the color off so don't think a min or two will cut it.
Good idea...:) but won't it chip or fall off in the long run from the shooting/vibration?

marxdspot
11-20-2006, 4:55 PM
I use white china marker(grease pencil). It is easier to get into the stampings than crayon and you can wipe the excess off of the receiver with a rag with a little Hoppe's on it.;)
Nice...thanks.:)

bu-bye
11-20-2006, 4:57 PM
Good idea...:) but won't it chip or fall off in the long run from the shooting/vibration?

I thought so too but my glock still has its on and its been 6 years and 15,000 rounds.

marxdspot
11-20-2006, 4:59 PM
I thought so too but my glock still has its on and its been 6 years and 15,000 rounds.
Perfect...thanks!

Shane916
11-20-2006, 5:08 PM

Any pics? :)

bu-bye
11-20-2006, 5:20 PM
Any pics? :)

Sure.....

http://64.124.10.205/glock/thumbrest.JPG

rorschach
11-20-2006, 5:56 PM

Even if it does, all it takes is a little work with said crayon again.

krim
11-20-2006, 7:37 PM

i used crayon to fill in the Motorola on my pager back in the day.. :rolleyes:
i found that a regular old pink eraser is great for removing the excess wax crayon.

marxdspot
11-20-2006, 7:40 PM
i found that a regular old pink eraser is great for removing the excess wax crayon.
Yeah I remember those days. I'll give it try. Thanks.:)

xenophobe
11-20-2006, 8:13 PM
Don't use wax crayons... the wax does not stick in the rollmark well, and you're likely to get it into the anodization and it can be difficult to clean the shininess after you've 'polished' it.

Oil based crayons work best, and can be easily removed with oil and a brush...

762cavalier
11-20-2006, 9:26 PM
Oil based crayons work best, and can be easily removed with oil and a brush...
Xeno that is kind of what a grease pencil is like. They come in all different colors and are called china markers. I got mine in Red and White at Ace hardware in the tool section.;)

Pryde
11-20-2006, 10:23 PM
I color all the lettering on my rifles myself, grease pencil or crayon won't cut it if you want it to look professional.

Go to a hobby shop somewhere and buy one of those small jars of model paint.
What I do is take a small toothpick and color in the letters carefully. After it partially dries, I use a damp rag with simple green and wipe away the overlap and spillover. It looks fantastic and it should last a lifetime because once the paint dries, it is tough as nails. I have even scrubbed the lettering with CLP and a brush and it didn't scratch it in the least.

Here's a pic of some of my work. The top pic is a bit blurry cuz I couldn't get the camera to focus properly.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v698/sickeness/g1-2.jpg

xrMike
11-21-2006, 7:14 AM
Don't do it! Next you'll be wanting some spinner mags on your vehicle! It's a slippery slope downward once you start coloring in the letters and logos on your lowers...

Vulcan20mm
11-21-2006, 7:28 AM
You could alos use Brownell's Lacquer Stik from what I have read it works great as well.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=7778&title=LACQUER-STIK%7e

Ubergeek
11-21-2006, 10:51 AM

Be careful when using a pink eraser on metal - they're somewhat abrasive and may leave scratches.

Skawrpion
11-21-2006, 11:55 AM
Don't do it! Next you'll be wanting some spinner mags on your vehicle! It's a slippery slope downward once you start coloring in the letters and logos on your lowers...

ROFLMAO, does anyone know where I can get a miniature disco ball that would fit my bayonet lug??