PDA

View Full Version : Building a Dedicated .22 AR???

joe84780
04-24-2011, 9:13 AM
I had a spare Stag lower floating around for the last few years, so I thought I would build a dedicated .22 AR style rifle. The lower is almost put together and now I'm looking at uppers.

I'm eyeing the CMMG unit here and had a few questions for the more experienced members of this forum.
http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/item/M4LEP-.22-LR-Evolution-16-inch-Upper-w-Receiver-Height-Railed-GB-1646

Should I do the bolt and receiver upgrades? Any other upgrades listed on there that are worth doing?

Thanks for your advice.

TheDeej
04-24-2011, 10:40 AM
Talk to Shadow65, he has thousands of rounds through the CMMG uppers and can get you a great price on them as well. I just placed an order with him and I got all the upgrades. I got the anodized upgrade just for a durable finish but I'm sure Shadow can tell you if the ceramic holds up fine. He got great pricing for the stainless bolt (M4 LEP Upper with SS Bolt $365 shipped add $20 for forward assist). I got the forward assist, bolt hold-open just so all the features of the standard AR translate over and everything will function the same.

His thread is here http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=412101

Send him a pm and ask away, he has tons of first-hand experience with these and is extremely helpful.

wiki wiki
04-24-2011, 10:46 AM
I'm currently assembling a dedicated .22lr AR, and just ordered a CMMG upper with the anodized finish and s.s. bolt option as well. Shadow65 has done a lot of testing on the CMMG, if you send him a pm he can give you some good advice. He also can hook you up with a great deal on the upper.

NorCalDustin
04-24-2011, 10:51 AM
I recommend at the very least the stainless steel bolt, if not the entire action upgrade.

Receiver... I have one Anodized and one with the ceramic finish (IIRC) and I believe they look exactly the same.

dfletcher
04-25-2011, 9:43 AM
I guess I'll post my new CMMG experience here, I have the basic upper (no upgrades other than BHO) on a dedicated lower, use CMMG and Black Dog mags.

I put about 300 rounds of standard velocity Aguila target ammo through mine this last Saturday and the gun functioned fine, accuracy was better than expected - thumb sized single ragged hole @ 50 yds. The two problems I ran into were failure to fire and the bolt not closing fully.

It seems to not take a whole lot of gumming up for the bolt to not have enough power to close, when that happens the firing pin doesn't make contact and/or the case isn't fully seated and the round doesn't fire. I also got failure to fire even with the bolt fully closed, took two strikes to fire. I have a RRA 2 stage trigger, I suppose a stronger mainspring would help. My "fix" so top speak will be to smooth the rails on which the bolt rides, it's finished a touch rough but I think that will take care of the sluggish bolt. If I can't find a heavier AR mainspring I'll add a little width to the mainspring just behind the hammer and that should give a heavier strike.

NorCalDustin
04-25-2011, 10:38 AM
Keep in mind that the standard bolt requires a break-in, where as the stainless steel bolt does not.

shadow65
04-25-2011, 10:50 AM
I always recommend the stainless upgrade. I don't believe I've even ordered one with a black bolt.
The stainless is stronger, smoother, stays cleaner and is easier to clean.
The BHOA is a nice drop in but the problem with CA orders right now is the 10 round BHOA mags are discontinued until the new modular mags with steel feed tower come out. Problems with the molds.
The forward assist isn't necessary but cannot be added later.
I also recommend the stainless collar(feed ramp)
Feel free to contact me.
Dave

joe84780
04-25-2011, 4:23 PM
I always recommend the stainless upgrade. I don't believe I've even ordered one with a black bolt.
The stainless is stronger, smoother, stays cleaner and is easier to clean.
The BHOA is a nice drop in but the problem with CA orders right now is the 10 round BHOA mags are discontinued until the new modular mags with steel feed tower come out. Problems with the molds.
The forward assist isn't necessary but cannot be added later.
I also recommend the stainless collar(feed ramp)
Feel free to contact me.
Dave

Thanks Dave and everyone else who responded.

Dave- I will pm you when I'm ready to purchase...Thanks