PDA

View Full Version : Price check on aisle .500

chad68
04-24-2011, 3:00 AM
For those of you that are in CA and bought one of the S&W 500 Mags new, about how much did it set you back? So far I have been quoted for the 8 3/8" barrel, with interchangeable compensators, hi vis front sight version for $1,199, plus tax/fees. MSRP on S&W's site I think was $1,320

I was hoping I might be able to find one new for about $1,100 or maybe a little less, without buying online? Depending on price, maybe I would be willing to buy used.

I know the ammo is about 2 bucks a round to maybe 4 bucks for the heavy hitting stuff. I can get 200 rounds shipped and taxed for a hair under 2 bucks a round (not reloads), which would last me I'm guessing 2 years, if I shoot about 20-30 rounds every other time I go shooting or 10-15 everytime I shoot. I'm trying to not think of it as expensive ammo but cheap sticks of dynomite. Has no purpose between Alaska and Africa other than being fun and painfull to shoot.

My previous revolver was a .44 mag I had for about 15 years, so I have an idea of what to expect in recoil. It will most likely be like the .44, just worse:)

TKM
04-24-2011, 3:21 AM
$1400 and change. John Ross PC model.http://www.gunblast.com/LT_SW-JohnRoss500.htm

Keep your eyes on the firearms for sale page.

The 500 is one of those things that some folks don't really want as much as they thought they did. I've seen a lot of very lightly used 500s for sale over the years. Often with the remaining ammo from the first box.

The ballistics are very similar to a 12 gauge slug. You just don't have as much to hang on to.

WARDOG
04-24-2011, 9:35 AM
I see a lot of 'lightly used' .500 S&W's for sale.
That X-Frame is HUGE and the cartridge is just too much.

I would suggest getting a .500 in a different cartridge, and a gun that is half as light.
Magnum Research BFR short-cylinder, chambers the .500 AE, and .500 JRH.
They are fun to shoot, have tremendous power without overkill, have revolver frames that are light enough to carry around without a wheelbarrow, cheaper by about 40%, ammo is readily available, and they can kill anything in North America.
The .500 LineBaugh is a good cartridge also, but hard to find, and the bullet diameter is actually .510"
Edited 4/24: which is a violation of Kalifornia law, they just haven't caught on yet. SO I would avoid the Linebaugh in .500.

The Gleam
04-24-2011, 11:45 AM
The .500 LineBaugh is a good cartridge also, but hard to find, and the bullet diameter is actually .510" which is a violation of Kalifornia law, they just haven't caught on yet. SO I would avoid the Linebaugh in .500.

My understanding is that is not true as they measure the barrel by lands and grooves for the difference, not the actual bullet, so that doesn't apply - still measure at .500. Same as .50BMG which is .510 (though they banned the .50BMG the .50DTC is legal which is also .510 - same bullet).

cali_armz
04-24-2011, 11:56 AM
2 dollars a round for .500 mag?

geez, sounds like a necessity for getting into reloading, at least for that caliber.

chad68
04-24-2011, 12:20 PM
Are you talking about the performance center gun? Mine (standard/not the pc) new with everything you mentioned, 8⅜" barrel, stainless steel with interchangeable compensator, when it was new in 2004 (bought in the second year after they worked out the bugs with the barrel/frame fit) was $799.98 on sale N/I DROS & tax. 11/16/2004 . I even kept a copy of the Turners ad.

This one...

http://www.thegunsource.com/item/45821_Smith__Wesson_Hand_Guns_Pistols_SW_163501_50 0_Revolver.aspx

Love the one review, was his first handgun LOL.

starsnuffer
04-24-2011, 1:09 PM
I thought these were reserved for ranges to rent to the people that get off the tour buses so they can impress their rather ugly girlfriends and then leave to go ice their wrists? People actually buy them?

Seriously though, seems kinda silly to haggle over a few c-notes with the ammo being that expensive. If you want it, just buy it.

-W

WARDOG
04-24-2011, 2:03 PM
My understanding is that is not true as they measure the barrel by lands and grooves for the difference, not the actual bullet, so that doesn't apply - still measure at .500. Same as .50BMG which is .510 (though they banned the .50BMG the .50DTC is legal which is also .510 - same bullet).
You do not shoot a .500 bullet out of a .500 Linbaugh. The bullet diameter range is .510 - .513. So you cannot reload a .500 S&W bullet in a .500 Linebaugh case, you will have problems. The typical groove depth of a .500 Linebaugh barrel is .510 - .511.
I don't know why Kalifornia hasn't caught onto this yet, probably because they haven't seen it in a movie. That seems to be where they get the rest of their factual information regarding firearms: "... A weapon designed to shoot down civilian aircraft during takeoff and landing would devastate and rip apart a person's body if shot by one of these powerful weapons."

cali_armz
04-24-2011, 2:11 PM
You do not shoot a .500 bullet out of a .500 Linbaugh. The bullet diameter range is .510 - .513. So you cannot reload a .500 S&W bullet in a .500 Linebaugh case, you will have problems. The typical groove depth of a .500 Linebaugh barrel is .510 - .511.
I don't know why Kalifornia hasn't caught onto this yet, probably because they haven't seen it in a movie. That seems to be where they get the rest of their factual information regarding firearms: "... A weapon designed to shoot down civilian aircraft during takeoff and landing would devastate and rip apart a person's body if shot by one of these powerful weapons."

is there a ban on .500 mag pistol rounds too? i thought it only applied to 50 bmg rifle rounds

cali_armz
04-24-2011, 3:05 PM
You know, I really don't know NOW.
According to the CalGuns Handgun flowchart it would illegal if over .50 cal per Cal Penal Code 12303 & 12305, but when I look at those sections it states over .60 cal unless it is smooth bore for a shotgun.
HELL I DON'T KNOW! I will refrain from offering this advice until I know for sure.
F'ing California and their gun laws. If I ever get arrested for a firearm violation I will have the Penal Code entered as an 'exhibit' and see if the soccer mom or 80 y.o. grandmother in the jury can figure it out. I doubt anyone can figure it out anymore.
Sheesh!
Sorry if I offered bad advice...

i feel exactly the same way you do man, california gun laws are so convoluted, its incredibly difficult to make sense of them. the wording almost makes me feel like it was intended to be next to impossible to understand.

ke6guj
04-24-2011, 4:01 PM
I don't know why Kalifornia hasn't caught onto this yet, probably because they haven't seen it in a movie. That seems to be where they get the rest of their factual information regarding firearms: "... A weapon designed to shoot down civilian aircraft during takeoff and landing would devastate and rip apart a person's body if shot by one of these powerful weapons."thats because CA's DD law doesn't start until .60", not .50". YOu could have a .55" handgun in CA and it wouldn't be a DD per CA law.

You know, I really don't know NOW.
According to the CalGuns Handgun flowchart it would illegal if over .50 cal per Cal Penal Code 12303 & 12305, but when I look at those sections it states over .60 cal unless it is smooth bore for a shotgun.
HELL I DON'T KNOW! I will refrain from offering this advice until I know for sure.
F'ing California and their gun laws. If I ever get arrested for a firearm violation I will have the Penal Code entered as an 'exhibit' and see if the soccer mom or 80 y.o. grandmother in the jury can figure it out. I doubt anyone can figure it out anymore.
Sheesh!
Sorry if I offered bad advice...

question #10 of the handgun chart says that if the bore is over .50", that it is a violation of federal law (and if it is over .60" that it is a violation of state law). The bore size of a .500 linebaugh is .50". I'd say that if ATF hasn't shut down Linebaugh in the last 25 years for making a handgun with a .500" land diameter, that it should be fine. The .50AE snafu happened because they used a polygonal barrel, not a traditional land-groove barrel.

GILMORE619
04-24-2011, 9:41 PM
Check out Ballistic supply. They have just reopend there doors and offer alot of custom loads for the 500. They sell 50 rounds for around 75$. Ive shot mostly HSM 350gr loads out of my 500 and they feel like a bolt of lightning leaving your hand. Ballistic supply has reduced target loads and im gonna order up some ammo from them they sell a sample pack and you can also get the 700gr knock you on your ***** shells Ive never shot my 500 at a indoor range in fear of pissing everyone off but outdoors its not bad. I load one shell at a time because ive seen youtube videos of people doing double taps... scary http://www.ballisticsupply.net/Default.aspx?tabid=252105

sirr6
04-25-2011, 1:10 AM
I paid 900 bnib for my 4".

chad68
04-25-2011, 1:52 AM
I paid 900 bnib for my 4".

When did you buy it and where? I know where Elk Grove is, you buy it there someplace?

chad68
04-25-2011, 8:35 AM
I think I found something I like more than the S&W 500. I always loved the style of the Taurus Raging Bull revolvers and just did a DOJ roster search and I can get the 454 Casull with 8" barrel in good old CA.

The 454 looks a lot nicer (modern) than the S&W to me anyway and it's a few hundred bucks less. I've heard that Taurus quality can be hit or miss but since I won't be putting hundreds of rounds down the pipe each year, should be ok, at least that's what I tell myself.

TKM
04-25-2011, 7:34 PM
I own multiples of each. It is possible (kind of subjective) that the 454 is worse than the 500.

The 460 takes the prize. No question about it.

Pick up a glass of your favorite beverage hours later and your hand will still shake.

GunSafari
04-25-2011, 8:07 PM
the .500 s&w's are still legal in california, can't buy them in los angeles city, but drive a mere 5 minutes outside to pasadena or burbank and pick yourself up one no problem.

Legal to possess shoot and play with all inside of los angeles city, just cant buy it here, buy it somewhere else let your tax dollars go to them, then bring it here, thats no problem....

rorschach
04-25-2011, 8:12 PM
the .500 s&w's are still legal in california, can't buy them in los angeles county, but drive a mere 5 minutes outside to pasadena or burbank and pick yourself up one no problem.

Legal to possess shoot and play with all inside of los angeles county, just cant buy it here, buy it somewhere else let your tax dollars go to them, then bring it here, thats no problem....

Pasadena and Burbank are still LA County. I think you mean Los Angeles CITY

I bought my 8 3/8" .500 at Turners Norwalk a few years back when they first got them in, I think it was 1050 + tax/DROS.

sirr6
04-25-2011, 11:22 PM
I bought it at wild sports maybe a few years ago. They might have went up in prices.

chad68
04-26-2011, 2:09 AM
I'm still trying to decide on which of the two I like more. It's tough to say which of the two I'm even leaning towards. If I look at the pros and cons of both, the Taurus gets the edge ever so little but then again it's not a .500 LOL.

Would be a lot easier if they were both .500's or both .454's because I would get the Taurus. The price difference in ammo between the two is not a deciding factor. But if I factor in that the .500 ammo costs more and the .500 gun itself is about $300 more than the .454, I lean towards the Taurus.

If I refrained from buying 200 rounds at one pop for either, then it becomes almost a tie between the two. Buying the Taurus is like getting 200+ rounds free.

WhoWhatWhenWhereWhy
04-28-2011, 11:01 AM
I'm still trying to decide on which of the two I like more. It's tough to say which of the two I'm even leaning towards. If I look at the pros and cons of both, the Taurus gets the edge ever so little but then again it's not a .500 LOL.

Would be a lot easier if they were both .500's or both .454's because I would get the Taurus. The price difference in ammo between the two is not a deciding factor. But if I factor in that the .500 ammo costs more and the .500 gun itself is about $300 more than the .454, I lean towards the Taurus.

If I refrained from buying 200 rounds at one pop for either, then it becomes almost a tie between the two. Buying the Taurus is like getting 200+ rounds free.

If you are willing to put out 1300, go for the John Ross SW500 5" it has a 1:10" twist that will stabilize the heavier grain bullets compare to the factory SW 500s with 1:18" twist. The 8 3/8" is just massive! I prefer the look and feel of the 4" but decided to get the JR 5". came out to $1435 out the door and reloading is a great idea for this gun, statistically it's around 70 cents per round and a nice bonus if you have other guns.

NotEnufGarage
04-28-2011, 2:39 PM
is there a ban on .500 mag pistol rounds too? i thought it only applied to 50 bmg rifle rounds

No. There is no ban on the rounds. There is a ban on rifles which chamber the round, which is why .50 DTC is legal, as are .50BMG weapons that aren't rifles, such as crew served weapons or any other weapon that is not shoulder fired.

OP - I have the S&W .460 Magnum in 8 3/8" stainless. I love it. The recoil is less than my friends .44 Magnum because of the shock absorbing grip and the mass of the weapon. I got the .460 because I can also shoot .45 Colt and .454 Casull, both of which are cheaper than the .460 S&W Magnum ammunition. If you do get the .500 S&W Magnum, you'd be well served to set up to reload them yourself. Then you can find a nice light load for plinking and be able to afford to shoot 50 or 100 each time you go out.

chad68
04-30-2011, 1:30 AM
Long story short, I bought a Raging Bull .44 mag. 6" stainless Friday. Hopefully I will get a Wednesday made one. Good quality, crap quality, we'll find out. I coulnd't help it, I love the freakin looks of the thing. Hoepfully it won't be like a sexy Ducati that spends most of it's time in the shop HA.

I will probablly end up getting the .500 Magnum around Christmas because I like them both so much for different reasons. Picking one was the hardest descision I have had to make in many many years.

TKM
04-30-2011, 12:54 PM
If you are willing to put out 1300, go for the John Ross SW500 5" it has a 1:10" twist that will stabilize the heavier grain bullets compare to the factory SW 500s with 1:18" twist. The 8 3/8" is just massive! I prefer the look and feel of the 4" but decided to get the JR 5". came out to $1435 out the door and reloading is a great idea for this gun, statistically it's around 70 cents per round and a nice bonus if you have other guns.

Good first post.

I got the JR as a birthday prize to myself.

Called up Mr. Ross and he poked around in the safe and found one with my birthday as the serial number. Nice guy.

Did you get the Ken Null holster and some speed-loaders yet.

chad68
05-13-2011, 8:57 PM
Still waiting to pickup my .44 Tuesday. The wait is driving me nuts so to help ease my pain, I now have 140 rounds of Chapstick sized ammo. The .500 magnums tower over the .44 mags pretty good. They make my .38 special rounds look like pudgy .22LR's.

Cheep
05-14-2011, 6:13 AM
If you were in SoCal I'd let you shoot my 500 just to try. It's interesting...

Bongos
05-14-2011, 6:50 AM
OP - I have the S&W .460 Magnum in 8 3/8" stainless. I love it. The recoil is less than my friends .44 Magnum because of the shock absorbing grip and the mass of the weapon. I got the .460 because I can also shoot .45 Colt and .454 Casull, both of which are cheaper than the .460 S&W Magnum ammunition. If you do get the .500 S&W Magnum, you'd be well served to set up to reload them yourself. Then you can find a nice light load for plinking and be able to afford to shoot 50 or 100 each time you go out.

Sure the recoil i less than 44 mag if you shoot 45LC in the 460, even the 454 is still more recoil than the 44 mag, if you shoot full 460.. it will rock the house.. when reloading, the cost for the 460 went from $2 a round to $0.65 a round using the Hornady 240gr XTP Mag providing you reload

Oceanbob
05-14-2011, 6:53 AM
This guy is a member here; doesn't post much because he's busy filming surfing videos.

He had his SW .500 mag for sale last year. Under 80 rounds fired. He bought it brand new last year.

I don't know if Mike still has it for sale (he lives in Huntington Beach) but if you're interested contact him on the backside.

Here is a video of the weapon at On Target.

LZKIgIG6KGc

WhoWhatWhenWhereWhy
05-15-2011, 11:12 AM
Good first post.

I got the JR as a birthday prize to myself.

Called up Mr. Ross and he poked around in the safe and found one with my birthday as the serial number. Nice guy.

Did you get the Ken Null holster and some speed-loaders yet.

I have yet to order any accessories for this gun, I did look up the Ken Null holsters and read his website. Which one did you get and how long and much much did it come out to? I was actually browsing the web for a holster yesterday and today! saw a few leather ones and some nylons as well, the price difference is a world apart. I'm picking up another SW 500 4" on Wednesday, don't know why but I thought I have to have it. Please let me know more about your holster, a picture will be great!! I read through a gang of reviews about Ken Null and his work, seems like a reputable man.

chad68
05-21-2011, 2:26 PM
Haven't even shot my new .44 yet and just ordered the .500 Smith today. Oh this is gonna be a looooong fookin' wait.

Can't do DROS till the 7th!

I'm even thinking about a Desert eagle with my tax money next year.

This gun buying BS needs to stop.

Cokebottle
05-21-2011, 2:53 PM
He had his SW .500 mag for sale last year. Under 80 rounds fired. He bought it brand new last year.
The 500 Mag is one of the few guns that I believe when I see the ad posted "Less than 100 rounds down the pipe" :D

NotEnufGarage
05-21-2011, 3:57 PM
Sure the recoil i less than 44 mag if you shoot 45LC in the 460, even the 454 is still more recoil than the 44 mag, if you shoot full 460.. it will rock the house.. when reloading, the cost for the 460 went from $2 a round to $0.65 a round using the Hornady 240gr XTP Mag providing you reload

With .45Colt, the recoil is no worse than a .38 special. I was talking about .454 and .460 being less than an uncompensated .44 magnum with no shock absorbing grip.

NotEnufGarage
05-21-2011, 3:59 PM
The 500 Mag is one of the few guns that I believe when I see the ad posted "Less than 100 rounds down the pipe" :D

At $2 or $3 a round, not surprising.

OP - I got my .460 for $800 on gunbroker, with about $400 in .460 Hornady and Cor-bon ammo. There are deals out there. You just have to watch for them.

Cokebottle
05-21-2011, 4:27 PM
At $2 or $3 a round, not surprising.

OP - I got my .460 for $800 on gunbroker, with about $400 in .460 Hornady and Cor-bon ammo. There are deals out there. You just have to watch for them.
Meh...

Any gun is like a Harley, only worse.

Buying the Harley is only the down payment on the chrome and fuel.

Buying a gun is only the down payment on the ammo.

My wife has had her 92FS for less than 4 months and she's already shot more than the value of the gun in WWB and Speer.

chim-chim7
05-21-2011, 9:06 PM
Just paid for my 4" Smith and Wesson 500 Mag today. $1,100 OTD. I will be loading my own mag rounds, and now that .500 Special cases are available from Starline I will be experimenting with them as well. I have priced it out to be approx. .28 cents a round reloading verses $2.00 or more per round new factory. I think $65 for 20 rounds is kinda ridiculous.:confused:

chad68
05-27-2011, 4:45 PM
Got to look at it today.

The case the 8 1/2" Hi Viz model comes in is huge but the gun itself doesn't look or feel like a cartoon gun IMO, like I kept hearing about. Compaired to a 4" barrel 9MM yea it's big but compaired to any 6" revo, it aint. It felt much lighter than I thought an 8 1/2 barrel 500 mag X frame would feel. The nose weight didn't feel any different than my 6" Raging Bull. Some ways my Raging Bull looks beefier where the grip meets the frame than the Smith. The Hogue grips like my other Hogues felt great!

Can't wait to get it home. Every time I pull the trigger, I will be hearing a cash register sound:p

Specter7
05-27-2011, 5:56 PM
Mine was $1070 out the door at Orangeville gun shop Wildsports. I get my ammo at Mywal IE: The Range up in Grass Valley.

forgiven
05-28-2011, 5:28 AM
I own a Performance Center 10 1/2" S&W 500 1/2 dull blue 1/2 satin with compensator and built in scope mount. Traded for it a few years back. I've thrilled many a shooter by offering them a chance of shooting it with 700 grain ammo. Expensive yes but well worth it.

WhoWhatWhenWhereWhy
05-30-2011, 7:21 AM
SO I just picked up my SW 500 4" plus the John Ross SW 500 5" performance center on Saturday night. Waiting to go out to Riverside for a session on Wednesday or Thursday this week. =]

CSACANNONEER
05-30-2011, 7:44 AM

Are you talking about the Los Angeles CITY ban against ANYTHING .50 cal related? If you are not, please explain why you think that there is a ban of 50BMG ammo. I'll give you a little hint: THERE ISN'T ONE! Many of us legally buy and sell 50BMG ammo in this state. Hell, some of us even shoot it. Please, understand the laws before stating misinformation as facts. That is how FUD gets spread.

chad68
06-19-2011, 1:21 AM
Ouch haha. My trigger finger is still sore at the fingertip joint. Never had my .44 make my trigger finger sore before. Other than that, the .500 kicked about what I expected, which was more than a .44 but less than an ICBM.

Really don't know why my trigger finger is sore since the recoil kicks backwards but gives me a good excuse to get some shooting gloves. Only thing I can figure is the Hogue grips have that really soft squishy gel type of cushon at the top of the backstrap area and maybe some that violent rearward recoil is being transfered into foreward motion from the softness of the grip. Other than that, it was fun shooting it, no wrist or other pain or discomfort at all. Even through ear protection I could tell it seemed to echo through the mountains louder and further than the .44 did:D Similar would probally be standing next to 1/2 stick of dynomite

Looks so purty when it's all shined up too.

I don't think I will ever sell this gun.

Cokebottle
06-19-2011, 10:38 AM
On the Ruger LCR, it was the muzzle flip.
Pushed the trigger guard into the joint on my finger.

Wasn't a big deal, but the poor finishing on the inside of the guard (plastic mold parting line) left a nasty callous after only two trips to the range and less than 100 rounds.