PDA

View Full Version : New member

LT1VegaGT
04-23-2011, 8:28 PM
Hey guys,
I've been on the fence for quite awhile about purchasing a firearm. Last night at 2:40am someone started banging on my front door so hard my windows were rattling. Needless to say, the police picked him up.

I live in the High Desert (Victorville) and have decided it's time to purchase a firearm of some sort for my family's protection. Your site came recommended by a member of LS1GTO.com.

If you could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. I want to take couple of gun classes and shoot some rounds before I decide which pistol would suit my family's need.

Thanks for the help!
Colin

socalphoto
04-23-2011, 8:45 PM
Look for a handgun safety course or class to take. They are usually about 4-6 hours but they cover everything a first timer should know. The last part of the class is usually on the range where you shoot a few hundred rounds.

I have taken the one at Raahauges and can say it was a great class. The wife took the class with me and she was scared of guns. Now she doesn't mind so much.

http://www.raahauges.com/

Welcome!

BayAreaShooter
04-23-2011, 8:57 PM
First off I am glad to hear you are taking the right step to protect yourself and your family. I agree with you taking some classes first. Welcome aboard and ask lots of questions.

den888
04-23-2011, 9:41 PM
Welcome!

llamatrnr
04-24-2011, 12:14 AM
Welcome. You'll soon learn that there are many opinions in these forums, so I may as well get you started by saying that, in my opinion, your best choice for home defense is a pump or semi-auto shotgun, in 20 or 12ga.

Good luck, and good to know you'll get some training. :clap:

mikaarce
04-24-2011, 5:00 AM
welcome. Stay safe.

10RNDr
04-24-2011, 4:30 PM
Welcome. I'm sorry to here about your wakeup call about todays society. First and foremost, a fiearm safety course for you and your family should be priority. Look for a reputable instructor in your area. Your local gun shops should be able to help you out.

SGGear
04-24-2011, 7:19 PM
Welcome. Go to the range and try out as many guns as you can.. Both handguns and long guns. You cant go wrong with a shotgun and a reliable sidearm.

.22guy
04-25-2011, 6:55 PM
Welcome to Calguns! :)

DeanW66
04-27-2011, 12:58 AM
Welcome aboard! Lots of helpful folks and useful info 'round these parts. Sorry it took a negative situation to 'wake you up' but at least it was only negative and not tragic.