PDA

View Full Version : Convince NOT to buy a lc9

mif_slim
04-23-2011, 8:11 PM
I haven't done much research other then hecko45 video and seeing it in the ruger website. But I was inches away from purchasing a pm40 until the guy behind the counter mention the lc9.

I heard a few problems but those were words from the trusty "I heard" group. Anyone here has experience with that gun? How does it shoot? Point similar to X?

I haven't seen it but I want to buy ad trying to hold back my impulse buy but it's getting the best of me.

Any thoughts?? Thanks in advance!

bombadillo
04-23-2011, 8:28 PM
post up hecko45. Is it similar to his mall-ninjaness????

pontiacpratt
04-23-2011, 8:30 PM
Your follow up shots with the lc9 would definitely be quicker than a PM40. When I shot the PM40 it was hard to recover for a quick follow up shot. I was thinking of a LC9 but the false trigger reset turned me off because I'm a creature of habit and I wait for the click (LCR did the same thing). I actually settled on a PM9 last week. The cost between the two is something to consider. Sub-$400 for a LC9 compared to the sub-$700 for a PM-series. Hope I helped

mif_slim
04-23-2011, 8:39 PM
Lol, when did iPhone autO-correct hickok45 into hecko45?! Lmbo!!

Anyways, that helps with my decision on the mp40. ;) thanks.

Keep em coming.

pontiacpratt
04-23-2011, 8:42 PM
Lol, when did iPhone autO-correct hickok45 into hecko45?! Lmbo!!

Anyways, that helps with my decision on the mp40. ;) thanks.

Keep em coming.

MP40 or PM40? lol mixed messages. autocorrect?

mif_slim
04-23-2011, 8:51 PM
Pm40. That was my bad. ;)

GundamCL
04-23-2011, 8:54 PM
I don't really like the LC9 as the trigger pull seems extremely long as does the reset. The Ruger SR9C feels much better trigger pull wise and fits better in my hands.

Do you plan on using this gun for CCW?

robcoe
04-23-2011, 8:54 PM
I have shot the LC9, not a bad little gun, but speaking for myself only, it's a bit to small and the backstrap tends to dig into my hand after a couple of magazines and starts to get very uncomfortable. A houge type wrap around grip would probably help that a lot.

Personally I would pay a couple extra bucks and get the SR9c, it's a bit bigger but easier to practice with, and I find the trigger to be easier to deal with.

As a CCW piece, it would be pretty good, if your willing to practice with it, but as a general compact gun the SR9c is much better.

I have no personal experience with the PM40 so I cant give an opnion on it.

iareConfusE
04-23-2011, 9:25 PM
Here's convincing material that might steer you away from buying one. Hey, you asked.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=409866&highlight=LC9

thrasherfox
04-23-2011, 9:29 PM
I know you said you didnt want to hear "hearsay" but thats all I got, so figred I would throw it out there.

My soon to be son-inlaw works for the LAPD. His off duty firearm he carry's is an LC9. and he loves it.

Matter of fact I am in the process of making an IWB holster for him and probably a couple of IWB magazine pouches for him.

He really does like it for concealed carry.

Target19
04-23-2011, 9:56 PM
These pocket pistols all work.
I can definitely hit bullseyes with the LC9 at 25 ft.
The trigger is very long and creepy and the double reset is long as well.
I don't care to much about that for pocket pistols.
If it works it is good to go!!!

The_Tinman
04-23-2011, 9:56 PM
My wait is up Monday, I'm headed to the indoor range at bass pro immediately after. I'll let you know what I think after that.

Cokebottle
04-23-2011, 10:02 PM
Only one magazine provided.

$30 each for another one.

DAO.

I checked one out and liked the way it felt in my hand, but the DAO was a turnoff, and it is very light.
After my wife's (and my) experience with the LCR, I will never again consider "very light" to be in the "+" column.

mif_slim
04-23-2011, 10:04 PM
Nice. Please do so. :D

Dhena81
04-23-2011, 11:01 PM
Because you can get a PM9 IMO a much nicer firearm a friend of mine in Vegas has all 3 Kel-Tec the Ruger and the Kahr and I prefer it over the other 2. It really is an expensive piece as you could buy the Kel-Tec and the Ruger for the price of the Kahr but the trigger is worth it.

InGrAM
04-24-2011, 2:02 AM
My father wanted this as a "pocket gun" we found out it was too big for that (for him at least). I ended up buying him the kel-tec pf-9.

From what I hear the lc9 is a good gun. But I like the kel-tec guns better.

zdragon
04-24-2011, 7:05 AM
i shot my LC9 for the first time two days ago.....i like it after getting used to the smooth double action trigger pull. The reset ain't bad at all.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=416307

The_Tinman
04-26-2011, 3:15 PM
Just home from the range... I found that the LC9 trigger is really the only feature that I don't like. It's long and hard to predict. That said, I loaded nearly 200 rounds through 3 mags. At 7 rounds per mag it's somewhat time consuming so I guess it's as good of a plinker as any revolver... I think this is a great back-up gun but I doubt this will be going fishing with me anytime soon. What is your intended use?

mif_slim
04-26-2011, 3:23 PM
Thanks for the review. I'm debating between this (lc9), p-11, pm9/40 or a wheel gun. It's for carry so I want it as small as possible. I usually just wear t-shirt and shorts so the smaller te profile the better.

NoJoke
04-26-2011, 4:47 PM
My wait is up Monday, I'm headed to the indoor range at bass pro immediately after. I'll let you know what I think after that.

My wait BEGINS tomorrow. Can't wait to get some first hand opinion on the subject. :D

Hopefully I can talk my daughter into taking a video of me at the range, of all this trigger pull /reset discussion.

Ranger20
04-26-2011, 5:22 PM
Get a SW 442 or 642 in 38 +p forget the LC9.. Sure it's a bit smaller.. but you have to contend with will it function or like the SD ammo you choose. If you are in close quarters if you hit the slide will it FTF or Eject..

In contrast the SW Hammerless Jframes are not finicky with ammo. No FTF 5 good solid 158gr. LWSCHP loads on tap are plenty strong enough with good shot placement. Nothing to snag or jam Shoot it through your coat pocket if you need the element of surprise.. Excellent bug for your primary gun.

Ok that was my best attempt to convince you not to buy the LC9.

Not my gun but some pics for you anyways. Yes I realize this is the 357 J frame and not the 442 or 642 same size though overall.. Ouch...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/stmcelroy/IMG_7778.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/stmcelroy/IMG_7779.jpg

Shenaniguns
04-28-2011, 10:01 AM
I'm waiting for my buddy to review it, but if it does well for him I may buy one.

m1a1driver
04-28-2011, 10:42 AM
I picked up my LC9 last week, was shooting it and the hammer pin walked out from recoil, now it wont go back in! its angled and I couldnt align it back straight to go in so i'm shipping it back to ruger.

NoJoke
04-28-2011, 10:59 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/stmcelroy/IMG_7778.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/stmcelroy/IMG_7779.jpg

what does that weigh?

Jack L
04-28-2011, 11:31 AM
Get a SW 442 or 642 in 38 +p forget the LC9.. Sure it's a bit smaller.. but you have to contend with will it function or like the SD ammo you choose. If you are in close quarters if you hit the slide will it FTF or Eject..

In contrast the SW Hammerless Jframes are not finicky with ammo. No FTF 5 good solid 158gr. LWSCHP loads on tap are plenty strong enough with good shot placement. Nothing to snag or jam Shoot it through your coat pocket if you need the element of surprise.. Excellent bug for your primary gun.

Ok that was my best attempt to convince you not to buy the LC9.

Not my gun but some pics for you anyways. Yes I realize this is the 357 J frame and not the 442 or 642 same size though overall.. Ouch...

I have a S&W 442. The beifits are snag free and when you pull the trigger it will always fire. All .38 ammo works in it. The downside for CCW for me is the 1 7/8" barrel. Now that manufactures like Kahr build very small/short 3.5" barrel guns, I carry one of those. A 3.5" barrel length is so much more accurate than a 1 7/8" barrel.

No one gun is perfect for every situation. I put the 442 in my pocket when I go feed the animals at night or early morning out here on my ranch. I like the fact I can pick it up and stuff it in my coat jacket and I have something which is better than nothing. Those 442s have a pretty good recoil and after shooting 100 rounds my hand is not very happy.

Ranger20
04-28-2011, 4:36 PM
15 oz for the 442 per smith and wesson.

Jack L.
True some 380s have longer barrels Sig 232, PPKs. Mustangs I've owned each. Some don't...
Ex. the Kahr 380 has a 2.5" barrel. The 380 round takes up nearly an inch of barrel so the 380 kahr is down to 1.5"+/- of barrel length... unlike a J frame so in that case even the J frame has a longer barrel.

But shootability is easier on a locked breech like the Kahr or Mustang.. over the PPKS or 232/230 sig. which are a blow back design and prob for many better than the J frame.

I offer up the J frame as I have had nearly every little 380 32 or 25 of reasonable quality made. I think the J frame for me is best. YMMV.. and I wish you well in your decision.

It's great that we have choices.. some more than others..

I add the following link to an excellent read between 380 and 38spcl. Just one more thing to absorb toward your decision. Stephen Camp is excellent in thought and easy to read.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/38specialor380acp.htm

You can always own more than one ;)

SixPointEight
04-28-2011, 4:49 PM
I looked the the Kahr PM series guns. They're pretty nice, but I'm not so sure I like them. I think if I decide to step to a smaller gun than my g19, I'm going to get a 442.

rogervzv
04-28-2011, 5:16 PM
I like the SR9c and would go that way unless you really need the small size of the LC9. Looked at the LC9 at a gunstore and it looks and feels like a well-made gun. Haven't fired one though. My next gun is likely an SR9c.

roost812
04-28-2011, 7:05 PM
I picked mine up two weeks ago. once i cleaned the grease out and lube it up. I fired 150rds without a hiccup. No fte, fte nothing. yes the trigger pull is a bit long, however, you get used to it quick. If the option is there to purchase one do it you'll love it!