PDA

View Full Version : Vulcan AK receivers

RANGER295
11-20-2006, 11:33 AM
I was flipping through a catalog at my FFL’s place and saw some AK receivers that seemed to be a good price. There were two options. The first were stripped Vulcan Arms with the X and Y axis marked, all holes drilled and with rails. The second option did not mention the make but since most stuff in this catalog was Vulcan I assume these were as well. They called them “complete receivers” they had the rear trunnion, trigger guard, mag catch, and selector already installed. They were $30 more than the others which is almost twice the price. Are they worth the extra money having those parts already on them? I have heard a lot of bad things about Vulcan AR receivers. Are their AK receivers bad?

Also would I be better off buying all of the parts separately rather than a parts kit since I will have to buy US made compliance parts anyway?

EBWhite
11-20-2006, 11:35 AM
I did some reading on the vulcans and here is what I found.

Their AK receivers are some of the best products they make.
However, the rails and parts on the receiver are not heat treated correctly. Also, some are warped but most are fine. I would never buy something from them that has been partially assembled. your just asking for something that wont fix correctly later. just stick to DCI /nodakspud.....

Also, Vulcans only take the yugo type parts kits

Charliegone
11-20-2006, 11:45 AM
I had a vulcan underfolder receiver and I can tell you it wasn't that bad. The rails were perfect in my case and the bolt and carrier ran through smoothly. I sold it because I just didn't want to deal with an underfolder.. The problem I had with them was mainly aesthetics. The Vulcan name,etc was near the back in which the holes kind of cut of the Vu from the name and the finish was just crappy.

-hanko
11-20-2006, 2:00 PM
Their AK receivers are some of the best products they make.

However, the rails and parts on the receiver are not heat treated correctly. Also, some are warped but most are fine.
I love irony:D :D

Google "Hesse Vulcan"

Some go together well, others are pita's.

Customer service after sale is non-existent.

You can do a LOT better;)

-hanko

grammaton76
11-20-2006, 2:22 PM
Ok, so they did the EASIEST part of the build for you. :)

Seriously, the hardest parts of a build are

1. Doing the barrel and front trunion
2. Filing on internal surfaces to make the mags work correctly
3. Hand-cycling the blasted thing a thousand or so times to ensure that the surfaces wear in and stop hanging the bolt carrier.

snacks
12-10-2006, 11:34 AM
are these receivers even worth dealing with.