PDA

View Full Version : Selling my wife's glock. How does that work?

Ultimate
04-23-2011, 4:21 PM
Hey guys, I am planning to sell me and my wife's glock but she is Colorado right now and the gun is in her name. What would be the simplest way of going about this? I have never sold a gun before.

pullnshoot25
04-23-2011, 5:42 PM
Just sell it. The DROS form asks for the SELLER'S name, not the owner's name.

I've sold pistols for people several times, it is not an issue.

CAglock20c
04-23-2011, 5:43 PM
What model(s) are you selling?

Striker
04-23-2011, 5:48 PM
Really, what happens when the DOJ does a check on the firearm?

pullnshoot25
04-23-2011, 6:44 PM
Really, what happens when the DOJ does a check on the firearm?

They check to see if it is stolen.

It is not illegal to sell another's gun.

dachan
04-23-2011, 11:08 PM
Hey guys, I am planning to sell me and my wife's glock but she is Colorado right now and the gun is in her name. What would be the simplest way of going about this? I have never sold a gun before.

Any worries about what'll happen when she gets back and finds out you sold her gun?

707electrician
04-23-2011, 11:28 PM
Any worries about what'll happen when she gets back and finds out you sold her gun?

Deal with that issue later, at least she wont have a gun when she is mad at you:D

Comrade Thingy
04-23-2011, 11:30 PM
Have her sell it in Colorado. Way easier.

Mssr. Eleganté
04-24-2011, 1:24 AM
Have her sell it in Colorado. Way easier.

FedExing the Glock to Colorado would be more of a hassle than just selling it in California.

InGrAM
04-24-2011, 3:27 AM
Sounds like some shady ground to me. Selling your wifes gun while shes in another state..?
Remember a TRO is very easy to get.

I would get my behind kicked unless I sold her gun(s) to buy her new ones. lol

rareair
04-24-2011, 8:18 AM

Is the Glock in both your names?

evidens83
04-24-2011, 8:24 AM
Just sell it. The DROS form asks for the SELLER'S name, not the owner's name.

I've sold pistols for people several times, it is not an issue.

This

/thread

Ubermcoupe
04-24-2011, 8:29 AM
"As per rules price and location please...":rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I kid, I kid.

If the right model, and @ the right price your (her) glock should go pretty quick. Although I have seen quite a few here on calguns maybe, glocktalk.com might help expedite the process. I'd recommend checking out a local dealer but they may only offer you $$ for a $$$$ gun...

I did like the idea about selling colorado, fedex isn't that much... ;)

G/L with your sale!

G-forceJunkie
04-24-2011, 8:48 AM
California, a community property state, says it it.Is the Glock in both your names?

Oceanbob
04-24-2011, 9:03 AM

Pullnshoot25 is 100% correct.

1. Gather up the weapon, the case and everything you're offering and clean it.

2. Take a couple of good photos of the gun. Ads are worthless without photos.

3. Place an AD here in the Firearms for sale Classifieds. Be sure and mention your location, the price and that whoever buys it is responsible for any fees
($35 transfer Dros fee). Mention also that the deal has to be Face to Face
(FTF) and you don't want to ship the weapon.

4. When you accept an offer via Private Message meet the buyer at you LOCAL FFL gun store for the PPT (Private Party Transfer).

5. All you need is your DL as ID. It doesn't matter who owns the gun or who the gun is registered too. Only if it is STOLEN...

6. The buyer will need two forms of ID and an HSC card.

7. Before you approach the counter in the gun store the buyer looks at the weapon and hands over the cash to you.

8. After about 10 minutes of paperwork (mostly for the buyer) the buyer pays the $35 fee and its over. After a 10 day wait the buyer goes back to the gun store to pick up the weapon.

Done deal.

kemasa
04-24-2011, 9:29 AM
Is the Glock in both your names?

Welcome to California, the firearm can ONLY be "registered" to one person in CA and it is IMPOSSIBLE for it to be in two or more different names. Only one person can own it according the CA. You can not have one firearm on two different CCWs as it has to be registered to the person on the CCW and unlike vehicles, there is NO concept of joint ownership. CA views that the person that the firearm is registered to is the owner. This came up because I was asked about letting a spouse "borrow" a firearm.

Talk to the CA DOJ about this. It is wrong, but it is the way it is.

I had a customer who had a firearm taken by LAPD. The firearm was legally received by him before transfers were required to go through a FFL. While the LAPD took it from him and could not show that anything was done illegally, they would not release it to the person that they had taken it from and forced him to have a FFL pick it up (me) and have a DROS submitted so that he could get it back and have it registered in his name.