PDA

View Full Version : Just studying! :)

Keala
04-23-2011, 11:15 AM
Hi there! Well first I want to say that my dad owns a gun so that is how I am familiar, somewhat, with them. But I myself do not own any guns. Who knows how I will feel in the future, but for now, I feel safe and secure without one. Anyway, I'm a college student and on a peace studies scholarship this year, and my major assignment is to study the 'gun culture' which will be part of my semester project.

Anyway, as the only 'pro-gun' (somewhat) person in my class, my prof selected this, as I think he is hoping that my studying it will change my mind :(. So I will just be lurking and learning and hopefully can contribute as well :)

Thank you all in advance for your understanding!!!

Bye
Keala

ElvenSoul
04-23-2011, 11:53 AM
Welcome! Required Reading!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=323922

Bigbird19
04-23-2011, 1:31 PM
^ Awesome read, and welcome to the community! Hope you find what your looking for, if not just ask!

zod
04-23-2011, 2:22 PM
Welcome aboard. Enjoy.

den888
04-23-2011, 3:57 PM
Welcome!

flyingjalapeno
04-23-2011, 5:23 PM
Welcome, and feel free to ask questions about anything. I know I asked my fair share of questions on here, and I learned a lot.

loose_electron
04-23-2011, 6:16 PM
Aloha!

Firearms owners engage in sport, hunting, skill development, and personal self defense.

Hopefully you will learn with an open mind!

The_Tinman
04-23-2011, 6:20 PM
Welcome. Many of us are hoping that you will have an adverse reaction and sway the class to overcome a taught bias and make their own decisions based upon stepping out of their comfort zone and experience firearms first hand.

mikaarce
04-23-2011, 8:07 PM
Welcome.

El Toro
04-24-2011, 10:46 AM
Hi there! <SNIP> Anyway, I'm a college student and on a peace studies scholarship this year, and my major assignment is to study the 'gun culture' which will be part of my semester project....

Hello and Welcome Keala.

Can you elaborate more on the possible correlation between 'Peace Studies' and 'Gun Culture'? What do you see as the connection? Perhaps you have some thoughts on American 'Gun Culture' versus say Mexican 'Gun Culture'.

El Toro

taloft
04-24-2011, 11:52 AM
Greetings Keala,

I sincerely hope that your stay here will be beneficial to your education. Here are two links that may help explain some of the views and concepts expressed by pro gun people.

The first is a pdf containing verifiable facts that debunk the various gun myths that are prevalent in today's culture. http://www.gunfacts.info/pdfs/gun-facts/5.1/gun-facts-5.1-screen.pdf

The second is a sort of primer for people exploring the gun world for the first time. It is written by a very smart women who does an excellent job explaining various concepts. http://www.corneredcat.com/TOC.aspx

Feel free to post any questions you may have. I think you will find that most gun owners are polite and will make a sincere effort to help you find the answers you seek.

Keala
04-24-2011, 12:04 PM
Hello and Welcome Keala.

Can you elaborate more on the possible correlation between 'Peace Studies' and 'Gun Culture'? What do you see as the connection? Perhaps you have some thoughts on American 'Gun Culture' versus say Mexican 'Gun Culture'.

El Toro

Well I guess my professor is kinda 'anti-gun' and I am the only person in my class who doesn't think that having guns can, in some instances make people safer. So I am studying both sides of this issue as part of my project. :)

imperials
04-24-2011, 12:20 PM
Welcome!!!

Bigbird19
04-24-2011, 1:58 PM
Let him know that most crimes committed with guns are usually by those who obtain them illegally(especially here in California) and more crimes then can be documented have been prevented by just the presence of firearms and not even a discharge. Also mention that states that have more gun presence (Az, Tx etc) have less break in's/robbery's. Just a couple thoughts to research :D

12:13
04-24-2011, 7:50 PM
Eh, howzit!

Keala
04-24-2011, 11:46 PM
Let him know that most crimes committed with guns are usually by those who obtain them illegally(especially here in California) and more crimes then can be documented have been prevented by just the presence of firearms and not even a discharge. Also mention that states that have more gun presence (Az, Tx etc) have less break in's/robbery's. Just a couple thoughts to research :D

I think most people in my class just think guns are bad and we would be better off without them...kinda like drugs. :(

email
04-25-2011, 12:08 AM
Welcome. I hope you find useful info here.

Irrational fear of guns...it's a mental disorder. Guns, knives, hammers, lathes. ..all tools that can kill. Most people don't fear hammers, though.

Bigbird19
04-25-2011, 7:46 AM
"Blaming guns for murders is like blaming spoons for fat people" -Some comedian

SGGear
04-25-2011, 8:47 AM
Welcome!

pullnshoot25
04-25-2011, 9:17 AM
Calling GrizzlyGuy for his trunk o' fun.

Welcome to the forum!

loose_electron
04-25-2011, 10:25 AM
Keala:

Good academic research includes efforts to avoid social stereotypes and deal with factual information that can be verified by independent sources.

This particular topic has tons of stereotypes (thank you Hollywood) and many people with pre-disposed bias. Fear games get played heavily as well, on both sides of the issue.

I think when you get done wading thru all the misinformation out there, you will have a great research project!

Good luck with your research!

Jerry

Big E
04-25-2011, 12:54 PM
Welcome to the site. I think you'll find most people here are firmly planted, sound people; but a few are pretty highstrung as well. That's life, but the norm is usually somewhere in the middle. I work with a lot of people like your professor and fellow students. Key is just to give them facts. So while you are here, ask questions if you don't follow.....heck, that's what the rest of us have done at some point. :)

.22guy
04-25-2011, 6:57 PM
Welcome to Calguns! :)

nwoods
04-25-2011, 7:35 PM
Welcome to CalGuns. I think the "gun culture" is as diverse as any other segment of society you happen to examine.

You've got people who own guns because the 2nd Amendment allows it, and our current government has forgotten this (I am in that camp).

You've got people who own guns for sport (shooting is fun!)

You've got people who own guns for specific purposes beyond recreation, such hunting, personal protection, protection of others and/or assets, law enforcement (police officers are people too!), etc..

And you've got people who own guns for when the "S##T hits the fan" (SHTF) or "The end of the world as we know it" mentality (TEOTWAKI).

Then of course you have the very small minority of owners who wanna bust a cap in their gangsta hood.

I suggest a quick read over here: http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

Super Spy
04-26-2011, 1:46 PM
Welcome to Calguns! I think part of your research should include a few trips to the gun range to experience the "Gun Culture" first hand. I think you will find any number of gun owners would be delighted to take you shooting. We all want to convert you, here try some Koo-laid....:D

I work full time and go to school part time at CSUEB, right now I'm studying Physics. I've certainly experienced some anti-gun bias at school, though the longer I'm there the more people I meet that are Pro-gun. I think most of the "Pro" people keep fairly quiet about it because of the decidedly liberal bent this area has.

Yesterday while studying in the library I discovered another class mate that is Pro-gun. She is former military and talked guns for a bit as well as fun things to do with guns. The subject of Cowboy Action Shooting came up, and she thought she'd love to check it out.

I suggest this because I've never come across a friendlier group of gunnies. I have no idea if they have this in Hawaii, but it's worth a look. It tends to be mostly middle aged to retired folks, though all ages are welcome. Get dressed up in Cowboy duds, strap on the six shooters, and go shoot metal targets that make a satisfying DING when you hit them and fall over.

I personally like to collect old guns, and enjoy shooting games. I'm not very good at most of them as I'm fairly new, but I have a great time. Good luck in your quest!

Keala
04-27-2011, 9:35 AM
thanks everybody! :) I've learned so much just from reading on this site and I think I have tons of info to rebut my professor already! It is so sad that even in college people will twist things so they sound how they want. :(

snypr
04-27-2011, 10:12 AM
Keala, Welcome to the forum. I am impressed that you are looking at both sides to conclude your own answer. Kudos to you for this and not just buying into the "Indoctrination" that most young adults do. They think because their teacher said "this" or "that", it must be true.

If firearms are not effective at keep anyone safe, then why are these in forefront to support the basis of our military, if they are not effective? Dont buy into the "anti" misleadings. I would get some fact gathering and challenge what is being taught to help others see more than one side.

dellgsg5
04-27-2011, 10:15 AM
Welcome to Calguns!

gvbsat
05-12-2011, 2:42 PM
It is sad that anyone in the field of education, especially at the college level, can be so ignorant of firearms. I understand that there are people who do not like them, for whatever reason, but do they understand the meaning behind them? Your anti-gun professor who you think is hoping to change your mind during your research, is at best laughable. He is able to sit up there on his soap box because of arms, and more specifically because of the armed CIVILIAN.

Anchors
05-12-2011, 3:09 PM
Almost everyone that was afraid of guns or actually supported banning them changed there mind after I took them to the range.

You can also point out that criminals carry guns and break laws in countries where guns are illegal for civilians to own and thus making them illegal does nothing but remove the right of defense from the good guys.

llamatrnr
05-12-2011, 4:00 PM
Think "pro-constitution" rather than "pro-gun" and see if that suits better. Keep the conversation going, at any rate. ;)

fishnbeer
05-12-2011, 4:17 PM
there are a lot of stereotypes i have heard about gun owners, or as you put it "gun culture". ignore the stereotypes, open your mind and you will find people like me. i got into shooting with my dad and grandpa at an early age. they passed away a few years back, but i feel it is up to me to carry the tradition to my future children like they have done to me.

no politics. not a "gun nut". nothing but family tradition that i hope to keep going.

mag360
05-12-2011, 7:34 PM
I like the idea of focusing on the constitution, founders, self defense. Its not about a macho thing (but people are macho about everything, from the size of their back yard griddle to their TV), it is that my life is equally as important as the wealthy politician who gets a security detail where he goes, or the police officer who gets to carry a weapon off-duty.

gl0ckc0ma
05-12-2011, 8:08 PM
http://www.ttiwwop.net/files/1/this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif

MSL209
05-12-2011, 8:55 PM
thanks everybody! :) I've learned so much just from reading on this site and I think I have tons of info to rebut my professor already! It is so sad that even in college people will twist things so they sound how they want. :(

This is a wealth of factual information.

http://gunfacts.info/

Crash3110
05-13-2011, 7:58 AM
Welcome!

pTa
05-13-2011, 9:10 AM
Welcome

ripcurlksm
05-13-2011, 11:20 AM
Welcome and good luck with your project :)

Bigbird19
05-13-2011, 11:32 AM
Make sure you give us an update as you go on w/ your project!!!

send it_hit
05-13-2011, 11:38 AM
Welcome to Calguns! I think you'll find any answers to your questions here, and if not everyone is ready to answer any questions :)