PDA

View Full Version : 22lr not lethal? *warning, Bloody pictures*

mif_slim
04-23-2011, 10:44 AM
Alright so some may think a 22lr isn't lethal enough for defense, I think it is.

Here is a 176lbs pig. The ammo was golden bullet Remington. The bullet shot from 1(3 feet) yard. Yes, that is close but it's lethal.

It entered about 6" of pure bone. It shattered about 3" radius of bone from enterance to where te bullet stop. The cavity of the brain shattered into at least 7 pieces.

The lesson here isn't that a 9mm+ can kill better then 22lr, but shot placement is KEY to stopping a threat. Hope you guys like beacon! ;)

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/mif_slim/c57cf6e3.jpg

Tythagoras
04-23-2011, 11:11 AM
What was the penetration overall? What angle did the shot enter? I'm not able to follow from the picture. Hollow point or solid?

.22 is quite lethal, but it's wound channel is very narrow in most cases. I'd rather shoot .22 than throw rocks, but having a 9mm/.40/.45 is a definate step up in priming reliability and wound channel dimensions. Keeping in mind, the importance of shot placement comes first in any "stopping power" argument, penetration second, with wound channel dimensions coming in third. Distantly third for handguns, much closer for rifles.

Good shot, enjoy the bacon!

j99carmona
04-23-2011, 11:14 AM
This thread will not end well. Prepare for a tsunami of internet tough guys and internet "ballistics experts".

Popcorn ready..................

cv0lv0g0
04-23-2011, 11:16 AM
I was saving this for a break on someones stopping power rant but
The most used cartridge in assassinations its a .22!!!

mif_slim
04-23-2011, 11:47 AM
Haha, sorry the center bottom of the pig is the mouth. To the right is the brains. It was hung and cut in half.

Chuck67
04-23-2011, 12:08 PM
This thread will not end well. Prepare for a tsunami of internet tough guys and internet "ballistics experts".

:rofl2:

G-forceJunkie
04-23-2011, 12:13 PM
Where can I buy .22LR that will penetrate 6" of bone. And what is 3" of bone radius, radius is a measure of angles, not depth or distance.

Skunk2Racer
04-23-2011, 12:16 PM
.22LR is plenty lethal. Just look at Robert Kennedy. And WOW that close? A little 2 close for comfort in my book

Riflelover
04-23-2011, 12:19 PM
Family member uses a 22lr for Field Slaughtering pigs, lambs, and sometimes goats. Uses a 22 mag for Beef.

Another family member had his 22 lr stolen in L.A. years ago. The gang member ended up shooting his buddy in the stomach. The bullet bounced around and tore the guy up. Ended up dying from it.

I stand that 22's can be lethal.

Skunk2Racer
04-23-2011, 12:42 PM
Oh OK I was thinking this was Wild Boar..... My Bad

mif_slim
04-23-2011, 12:45 PM
Where can I buy .22LR that will penetrate 6" of bone. And what is 3" of bone radius, radius is a measure of angles, not depth or distance.

6 inches deep, damage wound channel was 3 inch diameter. In ballistic term, "temporary wound channel"

IrishPirate
04-23-2011, 12:51 PM
but, but....it's smaller than a .45!!! HOW CAN THIS BE??? :willy_nilly:

510GUY
04-23-2011, 1:01 PM
22s can be lethal look at those guys on the gator shows them gators take one shot to the dome and they're out.

tuna quesadilla
04-23-2011, 1:12 PM
.22LR may indeed be lethal.

I still think you're absolutely crazy if you trust your life to it.

bussda
04-23-2011, 1:14 PM
It is cited that more people were/are killed with a .22 then other calibers. I wish I could find the source to that.

510GUY
04-23-2011, 1:20 PM
As stated 22s are lethal but for home defence a larger caliber is probably a much better idea.

Riflelover
04-23-2011, 1:22 PM
It is cited that more people were/are killed with a .22 then other calibers. I wish I could find the source to that.

I'm assuming this is because most people dont take them seriously enough.

G1500
04-23-2011, 1:25 PM
My dad is a butcher and has killed thousands and thousands of pigs and cows with a .22lr, he uses a Ruger mark 3, and some unknown .22lr bolt rifle for cattle.

They ALWAYS go down.

IrishPirate
04-23-2011, 1:25 PM
.22LR may indeed be lethal.

I still think you're absolutely crazy if you trust your life to it.

I CCW a .25acp because it's much more concealable than my .45 (also on my CCW) and it's better than not carrying anything at all. It's not always feasible to carry my .45, especially when all I'm wearing is board shorts and a white Hanes t-shirt (which is most of the time). I'm not going to grab my .25 to check out a loud crash downstairs at 3am, but i do trust it to protect me better than whatever rocks or sticks happen to be laying around when i'm reading in the park, or walking my dog...

rimfireman
04-23-2011, 2:55 PM
.22lr is fairly lethal even up to 300 yards. shot placement is just important as caliber.
if you hit your target in a critical area like a major artery, and/or critical organ.

Izzy43
04-23-2011, 4:34 PM
Home defense, 12 gauge pump. Magazine load is:1st round-00 buckshot, 2nd round-deer slug, repeat until empty.

cv0lv0g0
04-23-2011, 4:48 PM
Home defense, 12 gauge pump. Magazine load is:1st round-00 buckshot, 2nd round-deer slug, repeat until empty.

same except
2 00 buck rest slugs

Blue Ridge Reef
04-23-2011, 4:51 PM
I'm about to "trust my life" to a Seecamp in .32. I actually *wish* this new pistol was .22lr. Ultimately, for me, I wanted something so tiny I would know if I'm wearing pants, I have it. Like Irish Pirate said, it's not what I would grab if someone was kicking my door in, but having a gun is pretty important to me.

DirtyDave
04-23-2011, 5:02 PM
The gang member ended up shooting his buddy in the stomach. The bullet bounced around and tore the guy up. Ended up dying from it.

A lot of people say this about .22's
There is no bullet that will "bounce around inside of someone". It may change direction slightly from hitting bone, but not enough to "bounce around". It will either pass through or go in and stop. There is not enough energy to have more than one direction change.
I picture a pinball machine and your eyes lighting up and the score displayed on your forehead while the bullet "bounces around" inside you hahaha

Gryff
04-23-2011, 5:08 PM
The lesson here isn't that a 9mm+ can kill better then 22lr, but shot placement is KEY to stopping a threat. Hope you guys like beacon! ;)

Placement is nice, but in all honesty, it's a luxury when you are in the standard fight for your life (which usually is over in a matter of seconds and occurs at distances of three yards or significantly less).

I would definitely be nice to be able to see the slide/barrel index on the dirtbag's cranio-ocular cavity. Unlikely, but nice. But since reality trumps idealism, I'll take the largest caliber that I can fire efficiently in a firearm form factor that is suited to the situation.

Does that mean that I wouldn't use a .22 if that is all that I have? Heck no. But I'm also going to plan on dropping the gun after I empty it and finishing the job with my thumb through his eye as I grapple with him until he bleeds out. A ballpoint pen is better than no weapon at all. Doesn't mean that you should buy a ballpoint pen instead of a .45acp handgun.

It is a better evolutionary strategy to hedge your bets rather than getting by with "just enough" or relying on shot placement to get the job done.

A lot of people say this about .22's
There is no bullet that will "bounce around inside of someone". It may change direction slightly from hitting bone, but not enough to "bounce around". It will either pass through or go in and stop. There is not enough energy to have more than one direction change.
I picture a pinball machine and your eyes lighting up and the score displayed on your forehead while the bullet "bounces around" inside you hahaha

Actually, if you read some GSW autopsy or surgical reports, "bouncing around" isn't uncommon (although "deflection" is the appropriate term). It is common to see incidents of a bullet entering one part of the body and ending up in a completely unexpected part. I remember reading one of a guy who was shot in the shoulder, and the bullet ended up exiting just above the knee. Strange stuff happens when people get shot.

Freeballer
04-23-2011, 5:26 PM

Hope your being sarcastic because the way he described it is pretty clear. Radius is measured in distance, you know from the center of a circle to the outside edge?

G-forceJunkie
04-23-2011, 6:14 PM
I apologize, I was being facetious. I still don't believe a .22lr went through 6" of solid bone and left a 6" diameter wound channel.Hope your being sarcastic because the way he described it is pretty clear. Radius is measured in distance, you know from the center of a circle to the outside edge?

WTSGDYBBR
04-23-2011, 6:19 PM
OUCH :D

mif_slim
04-23-2011, 6:37 PM
I apologize, I was being facetious. I still don't believe a .22lr went through 6" of solid bone and left a 6" diameter wound channel.

You dont have to, but the damage is there and you can see it in the picture. Well, at least I can wry my iPhone. Unles I Photoshop the damage in but I didn't, I dint even play with Photoshop.

daybreak
04-23-2011, 6:52 PM
i have no idea what i'm looking at as far as damage done :( Can someone draw a diagram if they're feeling up to it?

Reductio
04-23-2011, 7:03 PM

Quote of the month. :rofl:

Target19
04-23-2011, 9:42 PM
Who said it was not lethal in the first place?
Think about the movie Bloodsport...
"You break brick...but brick don't hit back"
Was the poor pig shooting at you?
I can also kill a pig with a knife.
Whoever thinks 22lr is not lethal is an idiot and may get shot with one thinking it is nothing and die from it.

Falstaff
04-23-2011, 10:33 PM
I believe ya; I was on a grand jury last year and one of the cases was a guy murdered with a .22. The forensic patholgist explained how the bullet went through his chest (actually through his seatbelt first as he was sitting in his car, shooter was standing at his window almost point blank) through a rib, nicked his aorta, ripped his lung and something else(i forget what), ended up lodged near the spine of his lower back- about 12" of penetration. I was shocked, said he died in less than 2 minutes from massive internal bleeding. .22s are not toys!

DirtyDave
04-23-2011, 11:41 PM
Was the poor pig shooting at you?

Seriously? Where do you think Bacon comes from?

G1500
04-23-2011, 11:56 PM
Seriously? Where do you think Bacon comes from?

Turkey.

:D

Toast
04-24-2011, 12:05 AM
There's no doubt that a .22lr can be lethal but if I had to choose a firearm for defense I would want something that would be capable of stopping a determined attacker in 10-15 seconds, not in the hospital hours later. A chest full of expanded 9mm/40/45 holes would be more effective but if it's all you have a .22 is nothing to sneeze at.

InGrAM
04-24-2011, 3:02 AM
My fathers best friend shot himself through his calf muscle when he was about 10 with a .22 revolver. He did not even go to the doctor. The bullet went clean in and out. No longterm damage to his muscle either.
(I love listening to the stories my father and his friends tell about life in the late 50's and 60's in OK)

But to OP. .22 is definitely lethal. It is all about shot placement. I would not trust me life to a .22 but I would to 30 rounds of .22 wmr. lol ;)

Wicked K5
04-24-2011, 8:32 AM
My dad used to employ a 10/22 to slaughter pigs. And like mentioned above, they DO drop like a ton of bricks. Now that he's passed on, I use the rifle for killing paper targets and banging steel.

vwynn
04-24-2011, 8:49 AM
ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

elnielsen
04-24-2011, 9:14 AM
Dirty Dave your avatar freaks me out! Maybe some of those stories come from 22s that are also 223s. We've all heard those stories like "it entered his ankle and exited his shoulder"...

jyo
04-24-2011, 11:01 AM
ALL guns can be dangerous---from 22s on up---in the good (?) old days, my friend lived on a farm and we would visit every summer---whenever they needed to kill a farm animal for food, it was a 22 to the forehead---from the biggest to the smallest, done deal!

DannyInSoCal
04-24-2011, 11:26 AM
Instead of 22L vs .45 - This thread gives a great new opportunity for a new debate:

Facetious vs Sarcastic...

Skunk2Racer
04-24-2011, 12:59 PM
Dirty Dave your avatar freaks me out! Maybe some of those stories come from 22s that are also 223s. We've all heard those stories like "it entered his ankle and exited his shoulder"...

I've seen him WWF or wait I know Cirque de Soleil:D

fuenstock
04-24-2011, 1:25 PM
I also grew up on a farm where we sold and butchered cow, pigs and goats. Cows and pigs got a 22lr to the head that dropped them instantly and the goats got a blade to the throat. 22lr might not be my first choice for defense, but I would rather have a 22lr then my barehands in a life or death situation.

Cali-Shooter
04-24-2011, 1:34 PM
The ppl who say that .22 LR is not lethal are the same ppl I dare to stand in front of a .22 LR and be shot with.

Cali-Shooter
04-24-2011, 1:41 PM
I also grew up on a farm where we sold and butchered cow, pigs and goats. Cows and pigs got a 22lr to the head that dropped them instantly and the goats got a blade to the throat. 22lr might not be my first choice for defense, but I would rather have a 22lr then my barehands in a life or death situation.

+1 on this. No one in their right mind would choose a .22 LR over a "proper" caliber like 9 mil, .40, etc, but if .22 is all you got, you would rock it and wield it like no other, because it is your only chance at survival.

In Chechnya, some of the rebels that fought an insurgency war against the Russian soldiers used .22 LR rifles to good effect by aiming and shooting the armored troops in their faces in urban combat.

I hope and pray that the day never comes that I'll have to use a .22 target pistol to fight for my life, but I would if I absolutely had to, despite the fact that my Ruger MK III 22/45 has "Stovepipe" FTE's 1 every 100 rds, and doesn't chamber a round very well from the magazine once every five magazine changes, not to mention the fact that I can't hit anything for s**t with it past 50 yds.

fishnbeer
04-26-2011, 6:25 AM
Here is a 176lbs pig.... Hope you guys like beacon!..... ;)

so i never got the invitation to the pig roast. your email out of order? :D

seriously whats your plan for cookin it? smoker? roast? luau?

rojocorsa
04-26-2011, 8:47 AM
All guns are always loaded.

Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.

Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target.

Identify your target, and what is behind it.

I didn't read any disclaimers excusing .22 LR

santamonica9
04-26-2011, 9:50 AM
why would so many people HATE on the 22lr round?? if it does come to a SHTF, natural disaster (earthquake, fires etc.) I know I cant carry thousands of rounds in 308 or 7.62x39 or .223 BUT I can easly carry a thousand rounds of 22lr

I know they are the smallest round, have some failure issues (stay away from the Remington golden poopoo) but as stated in this thread and other places: SHOT PLACEMENT is the most crucial aspect of shooting. I just think way too many new shooters have fallen into the video game mode and all want those big calibers.

I hope never to use any of my weapons in self-defense but im glad to have my .22lr's handy in case of emergency. Do you really think your gonna shoot a person attacking you from 800 yards in a SHTF situation? How heavy of stuff are you willing to lug around in an emergency situation? just my 2 cents.

SixPointEight
04-26-2011, 10:00 AM
why would so many people HATE on the 22lr round?? if it does come to a SHTF, natural disaster (earthquake, fires etc.) I know I cant carry thousands of rounds in 308 or 7.62x39 or .223 BUT I can easly carry a thousand rounds of 22lr

I know they are the smallest round, have some failure issues (stay away from the Remington golden poopoo) but as stated in this thread and other places: SHOT PLACEMENT is the most crucial aspect of shooting. I just think way too many new shooters have fallen into the video game mode and all want those big calibers.

I hope never to use any of my weapons in self-defense but im glad to have my .22lr's handy in case of emergency. Do you really think your gonna shoot a person attacking you from 800 yards in a SHTF situation? How heavy of stuff are you willing to lug around in an emergency situation? just my 2 cents.

Precisely the reason I have a 10/22 now. Perfect for snagging something to eat(which is MOSTLY what I'd think I'd use it for. Someone with me can carry the AR, and some pistols. A shotgun for protecting wherever we make home. Probably wouldn't even bring my .308 bolt gun, too heavy. I do suggest, if you leave any guns behind, remove a critical piece. If you ever return to where you left the guns to look for something, if someone else found your stash, don't want it used against you.

paul0660
04-26-2011, 10:04 AM
Anything is better than nothing.

Jinxo
04-27-2011, 12:04 PM
I've seen articles about BB guns being lethal to humans - as has been said numerous times already it is shot placement.

Skunk2Racer
04-27-2011, 12:36 PM
^^^^ Oh BB's better be careful or you'll put someone's eye out

rojocorsa
04-27-2011, 1:01 PM
I am willing to bet that if SHTF, that .22LR will be one of the most valuable cartridges.

donw
04-27-2011, 6:41 PM
same except
2 00 buck rest slugs

870 pump stoked with #7 shot...almost virtually impossible to miss at across the room ranges and won't blow thru 6 inner walls and kill neighbor or someone in bedroom.

"The best defense" on the outdoor channel did a comparison test and the results were not spectacular but worth seeing.

the best overall for penetrating a fridge (empty) was a 9mm, second was 5.56/.45/.40

00 buck was last.

point? don't rely on hiding behind a fridge...:(

yes...the .22 rimfire is highly UNDERestimated by most...:o;):D

xs2k
04-27-2011, 8:21 PM
LOL...at 1 yard, anything can be lethal!!! Even a sling shot!

cali_armz
04-28-2011, 12:49 AM

i believe you're thinking of radians. radius is in reference to the dimension of a circle

cali_armz
04-28-2011, 12:51 AM
its true that a 22 can do some damage if you hit a target in the right place, but as far as self defense goes, 22 seems to be very prone to jamming. this is the reason i would never want to use it in any kind of self defense situation

MrPlink
04-28-2011, 1:02 AM
There's no doubt that a .22lr can be lethal but if I had to choose a firearm for defense I would want something that would be capable of stopping a determined attacker in 10-15 seconds, not in the hospital hours later. A chest full of expanded 9mm/40/45 holes would be more effective but if it's all you have a .22 is nothing to sneeze at.

very true.
a friend of mine witnessed an accidental discharge about a year ago or so.
Shot was in the chest, and the guy was DOA.

Wasnt too long ago where some idiot decided to scare his buddy with what he thought was an air gun, turned out to be a loaded .22lr rifle. Also shot in the chest, he died before the ambulance came.

omgwtfbbq
04-28-2011, 1:06 AM
As many others have mentioned, if you somehow think that you're impervious to pieces of metal traveling at or above 1000 FPS toward your soft fleshy body.... go ahead and stand in front of one.

xs2k
04-28-2011, 12:43 PM
As many others have mentioned, if you somehow think that you're impervious to pieces of metal traveling at or above 1000 FPS toward your soft fleshy body.... go ahead and stand in front of one.

Maybe if stand 10 yards away, it will be lethal; but 1 yard, can't be lethal at all.... LOL....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Riodog
04-28-2011, 7:22 PM
Maybe if stand 10 yards away, it will be lethal; but 1 yard, can't be lethal at all.... LOL....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Gee, I'm glad I didn't know that. Having carried one for the past 30 years, when I'm on my back in the dirt and some a-hole is gonna stick me I'll take my lil 22 or 22 mag over my d**k in my hand any day of the week. Never have had to use it thank God but by now it sort of feels like it's my second weenie.
Rio

J&B
04-29-2011, 6:45 PM
I love bacon!

Colt-45
04-29-2011, 7:12 PM

You're free to try it with a .45. See how much more of a mess it'll make.:D

Ifticar
04-30-2011, 7:37 PM
Keeping in mind, the importance of shot placement comes first in any "stopping power" argument, penetration second, with wound channel dimensions coming in third. Distantly third for handguns, much closer for rifles.

Shot placement is greatly enhanced (for many) with the addition of a Laser Sight.

http://www.crimsontrace.com/Home/Products/Walther/LG480/tabid/247/Default.aspx

substancesd
09-18-2012, 7:46 AM
ITS NOT LIKE UR GONNA SHOOT SOMEONE WITH A 22 ONE TIME IMAGINE 5 TO 10 SHOTS OF A 22 WILL KILL ANYBODY MY HOMEBOY IS DOING LIFE FOR KILLING SOME FOOL WITH A 22 HE TOLD ME THAT HE SHOT THAT FOOL IN THE STOMACH AND WHEN HE TURNED AROUND TO RUN AWAY HE WAS BLEEDING FROM THE BACK OF HIS SHOULDER .

Bartin
09-18-2012, 7:51 AM
ITS NOT LIKE UR GONNA SHOOT SOMEONE WITH A 22 ONE TIME IMAGINE 5 TO 10 SHOTS OF A 22 WILL KILL ANYBODY MY HOMEBOY IS DOING LIFE FOR KILLING SOME FOOL WITH A 22 HE TOLD ME THAT HE SHOT THAT FOOL IN THE STOMACH AND WHEN HE TURNED AROUND TO RUN AWAY HE WAS BLEEDING FROM THE BACK OF HIS SHOULDER .

:popcorn:

famas619
09-18-2012, 7:55 AM
Anything with velocity can kill. Would .22 be my first choice for defense, no, but i rather have that than nothing.

Nookieaki
09-18-2012, 8:04 AM
Caps Lock key broke?

sholling
09-18-2012, 8:58 AM
A 22LR can absolutely be instantly lethal ---> with perfect shot placement. Perfect shot placement can be pretty easy to achieve when putting down an animal from 2-3 feet away and if that's the OP's point I agree. It can also work for an assassin that has the luxury of surprising an unsuspecting victim from close range and if that was the OP's point I agree with that as well. The problem in a self defense situation is that darn few bad guys will hold still and let you put a perfectly placed round or two into their head. But it's always possible that some members live in an area with a more docile and cooperative breed of bad guy than anyplace I've lived :p. A 22LR beats heck out of having to defend yourself with empty hands but I won't trust my life to one when I have access to better and I would certainly urge people to make a point of having more capable arms handy for self defense.

RuskieShooter
09-18-2012, 10:14 AM
I always love the comments of "my insert relative/friend here always used a .22 to kill insert livestock/game animal here" that show up in the .22lr lethality debate. I guess the bad guy is going to hold still while you walk up to him, put the end of the barrel a foot away from his head, and pull the trigger... :rolleyes:

HD situations are usually shooting center mass (chest shots). Ask those same friends and relatives if they would be willing to put their livestock down with a chest shot from a .22lr. I would be willing to bet the answer is no because it would either not kill the animal or take too long for it to die.

-Ruskie

Curley Red
09-18-2012, 10:25 AM
And what is 3" of bone radius, radius is a measure of angles, not depth or distance.

Radius definition:

1. a straight line extending from the center of a circle or sphere to the circumference or surface: The radius of a circle is half the diameter.

2. the length of such a line.

----------------------------

Radius is not a measure of angles, it is a distance.

Joe Register
09-18-2012, 10:48 AM
I didn't read everything in this thread but was the pig shot with the .22 or was it killed by shrapnel when the Remington Golden exploaded out of battery mid-fingernail pry after six attempts of hammer dropping?

tacticalcity
09-18-2012, 11:01 AM
Leathal, definately. Reliably so as a weapon of war or self defense...eh, not so much.

Know a former LE who has a scar running from the middle of his forehead into his hairline left by a .22lr round that did not penetrate his skull. After being shot from a few feet away he charged, subdued and arrested the guy who shot him. The shooter missed his occular cavity by less than two inches. With a 9mm, even if it hadn't penetrated the skull it would have likely knocked him out or at the very least stunned him long enough for the bad guy to escape. The 22lr didn't even ring his bell. This is far from an isolated incident.

With my life on the line, 9mm is as small as I will go. Plinking, fun stuff, a .22lr is fine. Self defense, why risk it? It is just not the smart choice.

em9sredbeam
09-18-2012, 11:02 AM
A gun, is a gun, is a gun. Doesn't matter if it is 22 or 45. It sends a projectile at a high velocity. If you poke a hole in something important, it is over. With that said, I would still rather have a 9, 40, 45, 38 , etc. if it came down to needing one for self defense.

sholling
09-18-2012, 11:55 AM
Leathal, definately. Reliably so as a weapon of war or self defense...eh, not so much.

Know a former LE who has a scar running from the middle of his forehead into his hairline left by a .22lr round that did not penetrate his skull. After being shot from a few feet away he charged, subdued and arrested the guy who shot him. The shooter missed his occular cavity by less than two inches. With a 9mm, even if it hadn't penetrated the skull it would have likely knocked him out or at the very least stunned him long enough for the bad guy to escape. The 22lr didn't even ring his bell. This is far from an isolated incident.
It happens a lot. A friend took a 22lr in the chest from about 10 feet and fortunately the bullet deflected off a rib and never entered the chest cavity. The shooter never got a 2nd shot off before being disarmed by the shooting victim who only required a couple of glorified band-aids over the entry and exit wounds and was home from the ER in a couple of hours.

Lots of people don't seem to realize that a firearm isn't a phaser and the bad guy doesn't vaporize when hit. It's really a good idea to study the 1986 FBI shootout in Miami (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_FBI_Miami_shootout) to get a real world idea of just how much damage the human body can take and still continue the fight when the bad guy is really determined.

noob_tube
09-18-2012, 12:28 PM
.22 is definitely lethal. But .40 is lethal-er! :D

AR22
09-18-2012, 5:57 PM
I know a .22 bullet can travel in some funny ways once inside. A friend of mine was shot just below the knee about half way to the foot years ago by another friend of ours. He went to the Hospital and the Doctor did not believe he was shot. There was of course a hole there but no exit wound. They Xrayed and indeed found no bullet. The Doctor as said did not then even believe it was a bullet wound. About three days later he was having alot of pain in the bottom underside of his foot. You guessed it the bullet traveled all the way down his lower leg and lodged in the underside of his foot. They found this after the second XRay and removed it..How that was possible I do not know but it happened.

XVIga_Rob
09-18-2012, 7:08 PM
so i never got the invitation to the pig roast. your email out of order? :D

seriously whats your plan for cookin it? smoker? roast? luau?

Funny....I was thinking the same.

HD never entered my mind, but if that's all I had....Rock On!!

bloodhawke83
09-18-2012, 7:11 PM
My cousin killed himself with a 22lr pistol. They're not toys or weak.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

donw
09-19-2012, 11:21 AM
ANY missile/projectile introduced into animal/human bodies via hi speed entry DOES inflict damage...in terms of lethality? shot placement is crucial with ANY missile/projectile.

(this is to take into account we understand the difference between hits from a larger caliber as opposed to a .22 lr in a CRITICAL, as opposed to, a NON-critical location)

it's simple: hit with a .22 lr in the heart/lung(s)/brain/head/face/mouth...they're going down; as they surely will with a hit in the same spot with a larger caliber.

tal3nt
09-19-2012, 2:50 PM
.22LR obviously does less damage than centerfire rounds, but plenty exceeds the amount the damage necessary to kill.

TrailerparkTrash
09-20-2012, 11:41 AM

I was wondering the exact same thing. :D:D:D

M. Crane
09-20-2012, 12:03 PM
I would invite any "expert" in this forum or anywhere else who claims that a .22 is not lethal to submit to 1 shot in the head and live to argue about it.

colt45sa
10-06-2012, 1:17 PM
My deceased father-in-law was one of the first OSS men and was the most highly decorated officer in Naval Intelligence during WWII. He was issued a Hi-Standard HD Military (supressed) to accomplish his killings. Not lethal? I think that he and the OSS would challange that statement.
I don't think that any of us will be accosted by a 300 pound drug crazed maniac any time soon. So we don't need to talk about lethal. Think about this. Ever been stung by a hornet? How about two hornets? Did it hurt? Did it get your attention? Three or four .22's in a bad guy is certainly going to divert his attention. In the confines of your home, the blast from a .22 is not going to be so loud that you cannot continue to concentrate on the subject. And finally, the recoil from a .22 is not going to take you off target so badly that you have to aim a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th time. Now, if you must think 'lethal', having experienced no excess noise or recoil, you can calmly walk up to the perp and put a couple in his head. Still think a .44 magnum is necessary????

sholling
10-06-2012, 2:42 PM
it's simple: hit with a .22 lr in the heart/lung(s)/brain/head/face/mouth...they're going down; as they surely will with a hit in the same spot with a larger caliber.
How long can you wait for him to die? A 22lr lung shot is fatal if it isn't treated in time but there'll be enough time for the shootee to beat you to death with your 22. Sure a head shot can be fatal if the shot is perfectly placed and you get enough penetration but as far as face or mouth shot goes sorry but that won't stop someone that is really determined to do you harm. It might sit down the non-serious or someone that's watched too much TV and faints at the sight of his own blood but someone seriously bad-A (and I've known a few) will just get pissed off enough to beat you to death. In his study Dr Martin Fackler (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Fackler) concluded other than central nervous system hits most of those stopped in their tracks by a single gunshot did so only because they'd watched too many movies and just reacted to the gunshot like they thought they supposed to rather than from physical damage. But if you don't believe me feel free to join firearms tactical and argue it out with DocGKR - wound ballistics is what he does for a living. I don't see one 22LR in his list of recommended duty rounds. ;)

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887

I would invite any "expert" in this forum or anywhere else who claims that a .22 is not lethal to submit to 1 shot in the head and live to argue about it.
That could be the most idiotic post in this whole thread. They're lethal with perfect placement but placement has to be perfect. But don't let me keep you from your fantasies.

john67elco
10-06-2012, 3:11 PM

Now that's interesting.:confused:

Meety Peety
10-06-2012, 3:20 PM
I feel like threads about how .22lr is lethal come up a lot more than threads claiming it isn't. Everyone knows a .22 can kill, and people can surely survive a .45 to the face too. What was the point of this, to show us a bloody picture? If so, thanks for that.

Toyman321
10-06-2012, 3:36 PM
Three or four .22's in a bad guy is certainly going to divert his attention. In the confines of your home, the blast from a .22 is not going to be so loud that you cannot continue to concentrate on the subject. And finally, the recoil from a .22 is not going to take you off target so badly that you have to aim a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th time. Now, if you must think 'lethal', having experienced no excess noise or recoil, you can calmly walk up to the perp and put a couple in his head. Still think a .44 magnum is necessary????

Yes I do, if I wanted to divert a home invaders attention I would toss out my guns and arm my family with pepper spray and tasers. Yes, given no other option I'd reach for my .22.

If you are going to defend yourself do it with the right tool for the job, the goal is to stop an assailant, stop means stop, not slow down, not annoy, not distract, not wound so they bleed out in 3 minutes. Assassins use .22 because they are the right tool for their job, which is not the job of self defense.

TrailerparkTrash
10-09-2012, 9:46 AM
I'm still waiting for the reply of how the .22LR went through "....6" of pure bone." Solid bone mass at 6" thick???? ....and the .22LR went through all that???? Surrrrrrrre it did. :cool:

Lifeon2whls
10-09-2012, 10:38 AM
As mention before, .22 is all about placement. Hit the correct place on the human body with a .22 and I don't care what that person is on, they will drop instantly. However, when adrenaline is flowing, that larger caliber is going to allow you to have more leeway with your placement and still have a chance at hitting a vital spot on the body that stops your attacker. That's why I sleep with a .45 next to me and not a .22.

guns_and_music
10-09-2012, 1:49 PM
As stated 22s are lethal but for home defence a larger caliber is probably a much better idea.

This is the statement I agree with the most.

CasperSYTFU
10-10-2012, 9:19 AM
Unfortunately it has been proven to be deadly in the news as of the other day :(

http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2012/10/i-didnt-want-them-to-feel-any-pain-thats-why-i-used-a-gun-parker-county-teen-tells-911-after-mom-and-sister-are-shot.html/

Izzy43
10-10-2012, 10:10 AM

^^^^ Best post in this thread :taz::taz::taz: