PDA

View Full Version : ....

Foriegn power
04-23-2011, 9:42 AM

chris
04-23-2011, 10:42 AM
i would say do the 6 and 2 contract. as for MP you have to get a security clearane for that. make sure you know all your history jobs, places of residence, any tickets you have gotten in the past taken care or not. do your best to remember them. other than that go for it.

thebloodsonthewall
04-23-2011, 12:12 PM
From what I have seen of both the Reserves in general and MP's I would do neither. I have come a cross a lot of National Guard and Reservists in Iraq and I am not impressed what so ever. I would 90 percent of them are out of shape. A large percent of that is very very out of shape. They lack discipline and pride. I know there are some MP's on here and I mean no harm but everyone hates MP's. Their job is to give fellow soldiers tickets. They have MP's patrol some of the big FOB's like it was a city back home or something.

I don't know your situation but if you really want to be in the military I would go Active Duty and pick a different MOS.

I was considering going National Guard when I joined and I am glad someone from this site talked me out of it.

rooster85
04-23-2011, 2:57 PM
Why the Reserves? Why not just go active?

Petro6golf
04-23-2011, 3:36 PM
Definately go active duty. I was an active infantryman for 5 years before I made the mistake of joining the reserves.
It is not the military, it is a warped weird version of the military. I have seen the shadyest things go on. there is little accountability of personnel, no funding at all and just weird happenings that go on in my company. Join active duty if you want the military experience.

epilepticninja
04-23-2011, 4:11 PM
I guess the reserves vary from branch to branch. I was AD for 12 years in the Air Force and then did 12 years in the Air Force Reserves. The AF reserves were very professional and had to maintain the same requirements (twice a year physical fitness tests, performance reports, grooming and uniform standards, training requirements, etc.) as the active duty. The interesting part of our unit was that almost everyone had a different job in the civilian world from their military career field, so when we deployed we were able to do much more than your average airman. We had people singing our praises where ever we went. And our UTA's and annual tours were busy with well organized training. To the OP, you should check out Security Forces with an Air Force reserve recruiter. They always have enlisted slots and I'm sure there are open officer slots as well.

SGT Loco
04-23-2011, 5:56 PM
I have to throw in a contrary opinion to the ones above, and say that I absolutely love and highly reccomend the Guard. I understand that your experience will vary greatly based on your MOS and unit, but that goes for active as well.

As for contract length, that depends, really. Keep in mind that the three year precludes pretty much all of your incentives, including many increased educational benefits and any cash signing bonus.

I, personally, was lucky enough to land in a job I love, and in an exemplary unit that in which we do good MOS related training every month. The NCOs are great, the command is great, and pretty much everyone shows the discipline and pride associated with being a member of the US Army.

Milspec714
04-23-2011, 7:00 PM
Coastguard pretty much gave me the impression if you want the reserves they cannot give me an opportunity to have the Maritime Enforcement rating and there was no offer.
Coast Guard Reserve said that ME was not avail for reserves?
Is only avail for reserves....
http://www.gocoastguard.com/find-your-career/reserve-opportunities/reserve-opportunities/reserve-enlisted-ratings-descriptions

just spoke with recruiter CG want me first to finish my National Guard enlistment first then they said they'll take me for the ME rating.... mmmm...

Milspec714
04-23-2011, 7:34 PM
Oh... understood...

The Director
04-23-2011, 7:47 PM
What is the difference with the national guard reserves and army reserves?

National Guard is a Title 32 (state) force until activated federally, where it becomes a Title 10 (federal) force.

The Guard has far more combat arms branches (in fact, the same ones as big army)than the reserves. The guard also has a dual mission, so it can be called by the governor to quell riots, put out fires, disaster relief, etc. You want to be infantry, cav scout, fister, whatever, join the guard. These are not available in the reserves.

The Army Reserves are a purely federal force of mostly sustainment troops in MOSs such as quartermasters, logistics, med, etc etc etc.

My personal experience has been that some of the lowest speed unmotivated pogs I've ever seen were found in the Reserves, while some of the highest speed units I've ever beheld have been in the guard.

Active duty Army has been somewhere in the middle. There is something to be said for a citizen soldier that has a whole other skillset than just a full time soldier.

Also, the maturity level in the guard seems to be higher, but that is to be expected as it's the guard's demographic.

All depends what you want. If you want to do it full time, go active army.

I personally wouldn't touch the reserves, but that's just me.

The Director
04-23-2011, 7:51 PM
What is the difference with the national guard reserves and army reserves?

Oh, and not to be pedantic but it's just the "National Guard" and the "Army Reserves" , not the national guard reserves.

Army has TWO components: Active, and Reserve.

The reserve component is comprised of the National Guard and the Army Reserves.

Hope that clears it up.

chris
04-23-2011, 8:15 PM
The Guard has far more combat arms branches (in fact, the same ones as big army)than the reserves. The guard also has a dual mission, so it can be called by the governor to quell riots, put out fires, disaster relief, etc. You want to be infantry, cav scout, fister, whatever, join the guard. These are not available in the reserves.The Army Reserves are a purely federal force of mostly sustainment troops in MOSs such as quartermasters, logistics, med, etc etc etc.

that was a mistake by DOD and the Dept of the Army. the Guard and Reserve should have had a 50/50 split on combat units and combat support units. this was done in the mid 90's

My personal experience has been that some of the lowest speed unmotivated pogs I've ever seen were found in the Reserves, while some of the highest speed units I've ever beheld have been in the guard.

HAHHAH you should have seen the guard unit i was under in Iraq now that was a joke. the det i was in was all Active and Reserve. they had to learn from us what was right and wrong. there are some great Reserve units as there are bad ones same goes for Guard.

Active duty Army has been somewhere in the middle. There is something to be said for a citizen soldier that has a whole other skillset than just a full time soldier.

this goes for both Guard and Reserve. we bring a whole lot more to the table than active duty does. you never know what job we have on the civilian side and it does come in handy in theater.

Also, the maturity level in the guard seems to be higher, but that is to be expected as it's the guard's demographic.

maturity in the Guard can be a joke i work on a guard base those guys are tore up from the floor up. some of the crap they do is sometimes lets say illegal. again there are good units in both branches. the Battalion in Iraq had some real "winners" so to say.

my example is this: they left 38 people behind from Baghdad to Kuwait so they could demob and go home. needless to say the MIRC was a little pissed off at this.

All depends what you want. If you want to do it full time, go active army.

if you don't know the Army is downsizing so choose wisely. go active for a couple of years. you may like it. it was not for me the BS meter was too high for me.

I personally wouldn't touch the reserves, but that's just me.

to each their own.

Milspec714
04-23-2011, 8:40 PM
my example is this: they left 38 people behind from Baghdad to Kuwait so they could demob and go home. needless to say the MIRC was a little pissed off at this.
:oops:

I believe it...

semperfidelis354
04-24-2011, 12:53 AM
I came from the marine corps reserves to National guard mp. Man the difference was might and day. I'm not saying this unit is bad I am just saying thattuere is a serious lack of good training going on. However we were now put on this HRF (homeland reediness something something blah blah blah) which basically means we can respond to disasters in our state plus other states in the region we are in. There is a final eval at th end othe ear or something.

I got off target my point was if you gave thought to deploying don't come to my unit we are on this mission for like 2 and a half years. Wish I knew that before I chose this unit.

The Director
04-24-2011, 7:07 AM
I came from the marine corps reserves to National guard mp. Man the difference was might and day. I'm not saying this unit is bad I am just saying thattuere is a serious lack of good training going on. However we were now put on this HRF (homeland reediness something something blah blah blah) which basically means we can respond to disasters in our state plus other states in the region we are in. There is a final eval at th end othe ear or something.

I got off target my point was if you gave thought to deploying don't come to my unit we are on this mission for like 2 and a half years. Wish I knew that before I chose this unit.

let me guess -40th mp?

chris
04-24-2011, 1:24 PM
:oops:

I believe it...

oh yeah it happened and MIRC CSM was not happy. lets say he chewed out the Batallion SGM at FT. Dix when they got back.

QQQ
04-29-2011, 7:31 AM
What is SOP for a guardsman/reservist who is called up and deployed while enrolled in medical school?
Is there any rule that requires the school to take him back after the deployment?

Vacaville
04-29-2011, 7:36 AM
My military service was a 3/3 stint in the Reserves in the 80's. It was a great experience, except now that I look back at it I wish I'd gone regular army all the way.