PDA

View Full Version : Want to join IDPA or USPSA.

Prophet
04-23-2011, 8:26 AM
I want to joint Either IDPA or USPSA. At the range I go to they host both. Being a beginner,how do I go about getting started? I want to use my 92fs. Any suggestions? What are the round counts?

rareair
04-23-2011, 8:46 AM
If you plan on competing, USPSA has presence @ every meet. Good for you. Check out these shoots. They're located in the Corona area, but still fairly close by.
http://sites.google.com/site/ssaresults/

http://www.wegc.org/wordpress/?page_id=2926

SuperSet
04-23-2011, 8:49 AM
You don't have to join either for your first match. Try them out and see which one(s) you like.
Have you read Randall's sticky note in the Competition forum about getting started shooting tactical matches?

AvyDriver
04-23-2011, 8:51 AM
Prado puts on an IDPA match the 1st and 3rd Saturday of each month. Closer than WEGC. It's a good place to get your feet wet. However WEGC puts on very good matches as well. I attend Prado 99% of their matches. Wegc I attend on occasion however it's difficult to get to if you own a car due to the drive in.

USPSA and IDPA are both very different but both very fun. Prado is $15 for your first match. So give it a try. Another option or action pistol (USPSA) type stuff is Raahauges.

As for getting started usually club level matches don't care if you join for a little while however they may charge you a little more. My experience is we like new people and more than happy to assist while you get comfortable.

Any questions feel free to PM me here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mif_slim
04-23-2011, 8:51 AM
IDPA is less round count and requires less equipment. If you want to shoot more, USPSA has higher round count.

If you reload then both sport isn't a problem, if not, USpSA will cost more per match.

LloydXmas250
04-23-2011, 9:08 AM
I've shot USPSA and loved it but it is a high round count and $30 to play. You will need at least 4 magazines, and most people would say 5. If you go to Norco Running Gun that they have every Saturday, they rent out mag pouches and holsters so don't spend money on those until you know you enjoy the sport.

I haven't shot IDPA but from what I've seen/read, it's more concealed based shooting. I thought I read that you must wear a vest or shirt that covers your holstered gun. Also it's very direct in the ways you shoot a course. USPSA is perceived more as a puzzle and it's up to you to figure which way to shoot the course. I guess IDPA is more practical, but it seems (to me) that USPSA is more fun.

mixicus
04-23-2011, 10:21 AM
Head out to a match under both organizations with the gear you have and 200 rounds of ammo (see the club sites for more details on what is suggested for a day at each). Tell the guys you sign up with it's your first match. They will likely point you at a squad or other shooter that will explain the stages and help you out. Some clubs have a beginner's lecture/demo 30 min before the start of a match.

Keep in mind you don't have to do just one. Shoot 'em both for a while and see what sits better with you. Something else to consider is how often are the matches, where are they and can you get to them? If you love style X and the matches are on Sunday mornings but you devotedly go to church at 9am every Sunday, that doesn't sound like a good fit. Or you coach your kid's soccer/baseball/checkers team and games are on Saturdays, same idea. If matches are 100+ miles away and you don't feel like burning an extra 800 miles on your tires and gas card a month...you get the idea.

Both are fun and I seriously doubt you can make a 'wrong' choice with either.

AvyDriver
04-23-2011, 11:20 AM
Head out to a match under both organizations with the gear you have and 200 rounds of ammo (see the club sites for more details on what is suggested for a day at each). Tell the guys you sign up with it's your first match. They will likely point you at a squad or other shooter that will explain the stages and help you out. Some clubs have a beginner's lecture/demo 30 min before the start of a match.

Keep in mind you don't have to do just one. Shoot 'em both for a while and see what sits better with you. Something else to consider is how often are the matches, where are they and can you get to them? If you love style X and the matches are on Sunday mornings but you devotedly go to church at 9am every Sunday, that doesn't sound like a good fit. Or you coach your kid's soccer/baseball/checkers team and games are on Saturdays, same idea. If matches are 100+ miles away and you don't feel like burning an extra 800 miles on your tires and gas card a month...you get the idea.

Both are fun and I seriously doubt you can make a 'wrong' choice with either.

Great advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

h2o4lf
04-23-2011, 2:53 PM
I just shot IDPA for the first time today. This was my first time shooting in a competition of any kind. If all the other places are as friendly as http://www.isishootists.com in Piru, CA. You will have a good time. I would let them know your a first time shooter. Everybody was helpful and encouraging. I think, as long as you have good safety training, the only thing that you can do wrong, is to not have any fun. I used less than a hundred rounds, more like 80 for the shoot. I was also allowed to warm up and shot 50 rounds.(separate shooting area) I had so much fun I want to do some steel challenges. I really don't care about my score. I just wanted to see what it was like. It cost $28. I'll go back for sure. Hope this helps.