PDA

View Full Version : How to convince parents

Bigbird19
04-22-2011, 11:47 PM
So after reading and rereading the laws, the only way I can recieve a handgun is through a family transfer. The only problem now is convincing my parents to fill out paperwork for a handgun for me. My parents aren't antigun but they are far from pro gun. My father will say I can use the money for other things (college card will come out).

Do you have any suggestions on how I can convince my parents to do this for me. Money is not a problem as I work fulltime during school and I have no previous depression issues that should concern them

All help would be appreciated!

zfields
04-22-2011, 11:52 PM
just wait....sorry but in the grand scheme of priorities, pistols take second to education and other needs.

valkylrie
04-22-2011, 11:53 PM
Patience is a sign of maturity...

Bigbird19
04-22-2011, 11:53 PM
I have enough money for school already set aside from work, I have been at one job for 5 years and the other for 1. I maintain a 3.0 GPA and I recognize the importance of my school work. I also recognize the importance of keeping my sanity inbetween work and school so shooting is how I do it.

G1500
04-22-2011, 11:58 PM
Buy a rifle.

For your 21st birthday, wake up and go DROS a pistol.

zfields
04-22-2011, 11:59 PM
you realize a 3.0 is hardly competitve for larger schools / grants right?

Sorry just went through some huge issues getting money for school. It's not as cheap, or easy to get funding that you think.

Bulleh
04-23-2011, 12:00 AM
... I also recognize the importance of keeping my sanity inbetween work and school so shooting is how I do it.

:confused:

You make it sound like you will flip out if you cannot shoot. Think about it for just a second. Anyway, there are other options, I think I read an earlier post you are 19? Go get a rifle. Legally you have to be 18 to own one so this is your best bet. If you can show your parents you are mature enough to posses a rifle, work and focus on school while still being financially responsible, maybe they will ease into intrafamiliar transfer a pistol to you.

Actions speak louder than words.

Bigbird19
04-23-2011, 12:02 AM
you realize a 3.0 is hardly competitve for larger schools / grants right?

Sorry just went through some huge issues getting money for school. It's not as cheap, or easy to get funding that you think.

When your a chemical engineer at a polytechnic university that puts you in top 20% of west coast universities.

different discussion for a different time :)

Ubermcoupe
04-23-2011, 12:03 AM
If this is a continuation from the other thread, a transfer from you friend would be the $25 PPT from him/her to your parents and another $19 from your parents to you, add safety costs... All this assuming your friend would "sell" you the pistol for "nothing."

My .02 is to wait it out, keep shooting with friends, etc. Maybe go out with your pop and some responsible gun owners (sometimes friends like to do "immature" things like shoot sideways, be "ghetto," etc) and see if he will warm up to the idea. In my experience people who are passive about guns are just uneducated or unfamiliar about them and fear them for whatever reason, so education and proper demonstration of safety is key. By that time you'll be old enough to buy one, or your pop will get "bit" by the gunbug and go on a shopping spree like the one i've been on for *** years and you can use his.

Either way if you are still in his house, IMHO, you should check with him about keeping it in the house even after you turn 21. He may not feel either way about guns but he (or mom) may totally disagree with them being in their house.

For me, as much as I disagree with Pop sometimes, we both love shooting and it's a bonding experience and quality "man" time with my father, maybe you two sharing a hobby will be more than enough for him to warm up. Best of Luck! :D

PandaLuv
04-23-2011, 12:04 AM
No matter how bad I wanted to get a gun before turning 21, I just waited.
Wait a little more, live a little before being a responsible gun owner.

zfields
04-23-2011, 12:09 AM
When your a chemical engineer at a polytechnic university that puts you in top 20% of west coast universities.

Well, then you should be smart enough to convince your parents to buy you one.

dvsdev
04-23-2011, 12:15 AM
You should also take into consideration that your parents need to obtain a HSC in order to take possession of a handgun. It's not just filling out paper work. If they don't know a thing about gun safety, they may not pass the written test.

The Cable Guy
04-23-2011, 12:19 AM
How old are you?

Worked a job for 5 years, but not old enough to buy a handgun?

So you've been working since age 13, 14, or 15?

Dreaded Claymore
04-23-2011, 12:25 AM
You make it sound like you will flip out if you cannot shoot.

I believe it, or at least I think it's credible. I've heard, and seen, much stranger stories. And Zfields, some people naturally encounter greater difficulty with school than others. I know this firsthand, 3.0 GPA is better than I ever managed. Cut a fellow a break.

Bigbird19, I think you should go ahead and buy a rifle. If there isn't a specific rifle that particularly appeals to you, then buy a 10/22 or similar .22LR rifle, that way you'll be good at shooting rifles by the time you figure out what rifles you want. Your parents will observe that you like shooting enough to responsibly spend your own money on it, and this will impress them more than anything else you can say or do. After that, they may discuss buying you a handgun. If so, great. If not, two years is a much shorter time than it initially sounds (again, I know from personal experience), and you'll have a rifle to tide you over for those two years anyway.

Bigbird19
04-23-2011, 12:26 AM
Been working since I was 14, 14 is the minimum age to acquire a work permit in california

Target19
04-23-2011, 12:27 AM
So after reading and rereading the laws, the only way I can recieve a handgun is through a family transfer. The only problem now is convincing my parents to fill out paperwork for a handgun for me. My parents aren't antigun but they are far from pro gun. My father will say I can use the money for other things (college card will come out).

Do you have any suggestions on how I can convince my parents to do this for me. Money is not a problem as I work fulltime during school and I have no previous depression issues that should concern them

All help would be appreciated!

What do you mean the only way you can recieve a handgun is through a family transfer?

PandaLuv
04-23-2011, 12:27 AM
Since when?

Riflelover
04-23-2011, 12:29 AM
Had this same issue. Father wouldn't go through the process since he felt that it was "taking advantage of the law" and felt it was kind of shady to do it.

My opinon is wait. It seems much more satisfying just to wait until you turn 21 and buy it yourself and have it in your own name.

hornswaggled
04-23-2011, 12:32 AM
get a shotgun. 21 will be here sooner than you think. I'm at the age where I wish time would slow the f down, but it don't. that being said, I was bad when I was 18 and had a 21 year old friend buy a revolver for me (we transferred when i hit 21). my parents are anti-gun and it was the only way to satisfy my gun-lust. but that was a different day and age.

CarlozRossi
04-23-2011, 12:34 AM
Just wait it out and be patient. Good things come to those who wait. Build a AR or get a Saiga in the mean time.

Target19
04-23-2011, 12:35 AM
Since when can parents fill out papers to buy a gun for their child?
I thought you can only purchase it if it is intended for you?

Scratch705
04-23-2011, 12:39 AM
why not get a rifle first? unless you really really don't want a rifle ever.

Sub95
04-23-2011, 12:40 AM
parents can transfer handgun to son/daughter if under 21 as a gift.

Bigbird19
04-23-2011, 12:43 AM
For everyone reading I already do have a rifle its an LMT MRP piston. I just got the bug that everyone knows so well.

Colt-45
04-23-2011, 12:44 AM
How much longer till you turn 21?

Target19
04-23-2011, 12:45 AM
Okay they can transfer but not buy one for them.

Bigbird19
04-23-2011, 12:50 AM
How much longer till you turn 21?

2 years....

Scratch705
04-23-2011, 12:55 AM
For everyone reading I already do have a rifle its an LMT MRP piston. I just got the bug that everyone knows so well.

You don't have ANY guns yet? Not even rifles? HD shotguns?

guess he does already have a rifle.

and in this case, if your already have a rifle, and your parents still don't think you should get a handgun... just wait the two years. unless you can convince one of them to 1. take the HSC 2. do the dros 3. then file the intrafamily transfer then you are out of luck.

DannyZRC
04-23-2011, 12:57 AM
first, top 20% is not a place to 'settle'. I'm not saying to be ashamed of a 3.0, but clearly you could do better, and you should probably try.

second, I'm not very old myself, but I can tell when someone still has growing up to do when they say things like "I need blahblah to keep sane" <-- that line, right there, is responsible for all sorts of bad grades, financial hardships and strained personal relationships.

nothing wrong with being not grown up all the way at 19, I'm sure not grown up all the way at 26.

Ultimately, it is a choice for your parents to make and you need to be ok with that, because it's not worth grinding your and their gears over for the next 2 years.

IMO the law isn't great, but it IS the law, and you shouldn't browbeat your folks into doing something they may not want to.

Colt-45
04-23-2011, 12:58 AM
Show your folks you're a responsible gun owner. Don't play around with guns in front of them. Take them out to the range, teach them the proper safety precautions. Let your folks know that weather it's a handgun or rifle you're just as safe with them, just turns out that our stupid laws allow you to purchase an AR at age 18 but not a handgun. In reality none are more "dangerous" than the other.

I got my first handgun at age 19, had 3 handguns before being 21 and NOTHING happened, I didn't cause anyone any harm.

SGGear
04-23-2011, 1:00 AM
How about I do the PPT for you. Shoot it a bunch and hand it over when you turn 21?

:26:

cali_armz
04-23-2011, 1:03 AM
i remember being 19 and wanting a pistol more than anything. man, that was terrible!!

but i waited it out. anyway, there are some pretty cool rifles you can buy now, like romanian AK47's and AR15s

Colt-45
04-23-2011, 1:04 AM
How about I do the PPT for you. Shoot it a bunch and hand it over when you turn 21?

:26:

In other states an individual over 18 can have a hand gun PPT'd to them.

cali_armz
04-23-2011, 1:05 AM
first, top 20% is not a place to 'settle'. I'm not saying to be ashamed of a 3.0, but clearly you could do better, and you should probably try.

second, I'm not very old myself, but I can tell when someone still has growing up to do when they say things like "I need blahblah to keep sane" <-- that line, right there, is responsible for all sorts of bad grades, financial hardships and strained personal relationships.

nothing wrong with being not grown up all the way at 19, I'm sure not grown up all the way at 26.

Ultimately, it is a choice for your parents to make and you need to be ok with that, because it's not worth grinding your and their gears over for the next 2 years.

IMO the law isn't great, but it IS the law, and you shouldn't browbeat your folks into doing something they may not want to.

having a 3.0 gpa as a chemical engineer major is pretty respectable

eagleAR
04-23-2011, 1:06 AM
Buy AR or AK or BOTH in the meantime.

Colt-45
04-23-2011, 1:08 AM
having a 3.0 gpa as a chemical engineer major is pretty respectable

Yup, being a chemical engineer major isn't as easy as being an English or liberal arts major:rofl2:

cali_armz
04-23-2011, 1:10 AM
Yup, being a chemical engineer major isn't as easy as being an English or liberal arts major:rofl2:

very true man. they say that chemical engineering is one of the most difficult types of engineering too.

Colt-45
04-23-2011, 1:12 AM
All majors are not created equal.

cali_armz
04-23-2011, 1:14 AM
All majors are not created equal.

thats for sure. some people can write papers. others like to get swamped with math and science. you really have to love the subject to get into something like that. if you dont, then its endless pain and misery.

daybreak
04-23-2011, 1:16 AM

haha, ironic much? just teasin, man.

Dead*Reckoned
04-23-2011, 1:19 AM
I'm in the same position as you... I'm hoping to take a metal working class at my local junior college this summer, and possibly build my own. I really want to get into IDPA, but my parents say that my 3 rifles is already enough... they don't know the difference between a .22 and 30-06, so they can't see why I could possibly need another gun. I'll be in college out of state next year, so its not like its the worst of my worries, but my rifle to pistol marksmanship is completely lopsided. Good luck to you, do you have any Grandparents that are more warmed up to the idea of transferring you a pistol?

ninjawho?
04-23-2011, 1:24 AM
Maturity and smarts are not the same......laws are there for a reason,get a rifle...wait a little.......the best thing in life are the things we wait for.......now go study........

InGrAM
04-23-2011, 1:44 AM
Why is everyone giving this guy such a hard time? He just asked for some help. If he wants to spend his earned money on a handgun I am not going to hold that against him. It is better than him "pimping out" his mommies honda civic...

To op. Just explain to your parents how you feel about it. If they are smart they will understand that you are responsible enough to own a handgun. You already own a rifle and you are in college(from what you said).

gorenut
04-23-2011, 1:50 AM
I'm all up for the fact that you worked to save up. Kudos to doing it while retaining a good GPA.. but I do question why you need to come on to a forum to ask a bunch of strangers how to convince your own parents (who you should know better than anyone here) on buying you a gun. I also question your statement of needing to shoot to stay sane.. I know it was mostly a figure of speech to show your recreation, but maybe you should wait a bit and perhaps find some other priorities to spend your money on. Either case, good luck to you.

Norsemen308
04-23-2011, 1:58 AM
not judging you, been in your shoes... you do not want a pistol at this time... first you get the gun... sweet... whose gonna buy you the ammo? second, I know of 3 pistol ranges that will not let a person under 21 shoot without a person OVER 21 present. third, dear god delete the sentence of shooting to keep yourself sane, I dont need a another GD gun law in this state. I inherited pistols when I turned 18, but I will tell you the biggest pain in the *** years for my pistol using was when I was under 21... couldn't buy ammo at the range, was hassled at the ranges that did let me shoot... range masters always loved to watch me as well.. its not worth it.... save for a *****en set of hand guns for 21....

Dead*Reckoned
04-23-2011, 2:00 AM
Maturity and smarts are not the same......laws are there for a reason,get a rifle...wait a little.......the best thing in life are the things we wait for.......now go study........

Wait, what? :eek: I'm guessing you disagree with the ten day waiting period, may issue CCW's, no NFA items, the handgun roster, and whole plethora of laws which really have no purpose other than to exert control over the populace? Laws are laws for a reason, though. How can you think it the op should have to wait to be 21 to buy a handgun, when in any other state where face to face transfers are legal he could already have one.

I'm not talking to only you, but I'm talking to all the people that think it requires an arbitrary age line set by the government in order to be mature enough to buy a pistol. By the same logic, if any of you have ever complained about the 10 day wait, then you could be judged by some in this to not have the maturity to own that gun yet.

hunteran
04-23-2011, 2:04 AM

Do you have any idea how hard chemical engineering is? I'm not a chemical engineering major but I WAS a chemistry major, and now I'm studying mechanical engineering. Until you've been a hard science like that you shouldn't chastise someone for getting a 3.0, 3.0 is a pretty damn good GPA given the major.

That said, I don't see why everyone is being so negative. I'd just try to show your parents that you're a responsible adult (and it sounds like you are). You might try keeping track of your finances for a month (get really detailed about your expenditures) so that you can give your parents concrete proof that you can afford a handgun. As far as getting ammo, I'm pretty sure that midwayusa doesn't ask for proof of ID (been buying ammo from them for a while ago, I'm 21 but they've never asked for proof of ID) and they're far cheaper than most retail stores. Go for it man.

Packy14
04-23-2011, 2:09 AM
Do you have any idea how hard chemical engineering is? I'm not a chemical engineering major but I WAS a chemistry major, and now I'm studying mechanical engineering. Until you've been a hard science like that you shouldn't chastise someone for getting a 3.0, 3.0 is a pretty damn good GPA given the major.

That said, I don't see why everyone is being so negative. I'd just try to show your parents that you're a responsible adult (and it sounds like you are). You might try keeping track of your finances for a month (get really detailed about your expenditures) so that you can give your parents concrete proof that you can afford a handgun. As far as getting ammo, I'm pretty sure that midwayusa doesn't ask for proof of ID (been buying ammo from them for a while ago, I'm 21 but they've never asked for proof of ID) and they're far cheaper than most retail stores. Go for it man.

If he's 19 then he's 1 or 1.5 years into his major and has not taken the upper division classes, a 3.0 is respectable given its a hard major, but its nothing to write home about that little into it...many a 3.0 turns into a 2.5 quickly when the larger classes with students who will soon be psych majors all drop out and the curve gets tougher. Concentrate on school, and when you're 21, go buy a handgun...until then, be happy you already own a nice rifle for if/when the zombies come calling. Also be glad you don't live on campus, where that gun would land you in a heap of trouble.

hunteran
04-23-2011, 2:14 AM
If he's 19 then he's 1 or 1.5 years into his major and has not taken the upper division classes, a 3.0 is respectable given its a hard major, but its nothing to write home about that little into it...many a 3.0 turns into a 2.5 quickly when the larger classes with students who will soon be psych majors all drop out and the curve gets tougher. Concentrate on school, and when you're 21, go buy a handgun...until then, be happy you already own a nice rifle for if/when the zombies come calling. Also be glad you don't live on campus, where that gun would land you in a heap of trouble.

Keep in mind that at lots of universities the lower division classes are intended to weed out the people who shouldn't be there. I've found that as I progress farther along in the ME major, it gets easier (because the material is more interesting, and you start to think differently). First year or year and a half, he's probably taking at least 3 semesters of calc, possibly differential equations, at least 2, probably 3 semesters of calc based physics and he's probably taken or is in the process of taking organic chemistry right now. Those classes are nothing to sneeze at and imho, they're harder than the upper division stuff.

Packy14
04-23-2011, 2:16 AM
Keep in mind that at lots of universities the lower division classes are intended to weed out the people who shouldn't be there. I've found that as I progress farther along in the ME major, it gets easier (because the material is more interesting, and you start to think differently). First year or year and a half, he's probably taking at least 3 semesters of calc, possibly differential equations, at least 2, probably 3 semesters of calc based physics and he's probably taken or is in the process of taking organic chemistry right now. Those classes are nothing to sneeze at and imho, they're harder than the upper division stuff.

Long ago I completed a similar major... its rather easy to get a B, just hard to get an A because of the curve...which disappears as you move along. Not saying 3.0 is bad, but its not amazing either.

DannyZRC
04-23-2011, 2:18 AM
3.0 is certainly respectable, but I was addressing the "top 20%" part of his statement, and what seemed like an attitude that it was alright to be content there. settling for top 20% while still in the lower division classes can get ugly fast, especially in the sciences. Either way, this was never meant to impugn his performance, only what I perceived as his attitude towards it. Further, his academics are only tangentially germane to the discussion.

I don't agree with the laws, but they are what they are and the decisions rests with his parents for the time being. As many have pointed out, even if he acquires a firearm his ability to use it will be curtailed by the laws regarding ammunition, as well as the policy of many firing ranges.

Bigbird19, if your parents aren't into guns then maybe you could share with them some of the reasons that you are interested in them and why they are important to you. As has been suggested, you could take them out shooting with you.

Just be gentle and patient, hope for the best but be willing to accept it if things don't quite turn out your way.

hunteran
04-23-2011, 2:20 AM
Long ago I completed a similar major... its rather easy to get a B, just hard to get an A because of the curve...which disappears as you move along. Not saying 3.0 is bad, but its not amazing either.

I know. I'm just sayin, 3.0 is respectable. Its not an indicator that he's slacking off in school or anything like some of the previous posters are implying.

Fishslayer
04-23-2011, 2:21 AM
You'll shoot yer eye out kid...;)

WolfInSheeple'sClothing
04-23-2011, 2:56 AM
Hi everyone,

thought I'd pipe in as a long time lurker ('07ish). I was a physics major at CPP, and had a 3.4 gpa for my first two years. I transferred at the end of my third year, to Humboldt State, with a 3.0 (still there...darn budget crisis). Like others have said, don't let a gpa fool you. I've taken a few of my friends out shooting, all math and science majors (with high gpa's), and they scared the crap out of me (in a really bad way).

To the op,
How long have you been shooting? Have you ever gone shooting with your parents? I started shooting at 3, hunting small game at about 5, and (even though he knew I was a good kid) my dad didn't want me to have my own firearms until about 20 (but I did have access to his).

If you haven't shot with your dad yet...do it! The only way to convince your parents is to show them that you are truly responsible. Solving ODE's does not equate to firearms responsibility. Bring your dad to a gun shop, take him to a shooting range, have him join this forum. If all else fails, be glad you have the LMT, 'cause money gets tight the further along you get. If you go to Pomona, then shoot me a PM and I'll see if some of my friends will take you out shooting (pistols...since that's what your interested in). There's a lot of gunnies in the science majors!

If nothing else, wait until your 21...trust me, school will keep you occupied until then. Go shooting with fellow gunnies and by the time your 21 you'll really know what you want (firearms wise).

Side Note: Hey DreadedClaymore, what's up!?! I'm the one that introduced you to this site in the SciA computer lab.

Bulleh
04-23-2011, 3:03 AM
Guys, really, his GPA is not what he needed advice on. Obviously its been answered many times, get a rifle. But since he has one theres not much more you can tell him to do. Like wolf said, take your dad shooting, maybe it'll change his mind

resident-shooter
04-23-2011, 8:06 AM
I wuz their. I haytd it. I lovz me handguns mayne. I hops them nra folcs dicyd to poosh them akshns gaynst stewpid loz

resident-shooter
04-23-2011, 8:11 AM
Hi everyone,

thought I'd pipe in as a long time lurker ('07ish). I was a physics major at CPP, and had a 3.4 gpa for my first two years. I transferred at the end of my third year, to Humboldt State, with a 3.0 (still there...darn budget crisis). Like others have said, don't let a gpa fool you. I've taken a few of my friends out shooting, all math and science majors (with high gpa's), and they scared the crap out of me (in a really bad way).

so. so. so. true.

I actually spoke to like 4 or 5 different admisisons deans at different schools and they all tell me one thing.... "GPA/SAT/LSAT are just numbers. They tell me little about you. I look att he personal statement and who you are and what you wish to achieve."

I personally know a pre med dude with like a 3.7 GPA at a UC. He can pick up a book and memorize everything in it and answer on the test. However his critical reasoning is.... very bad. His mechanical thinking makes me laugh. etc

morrcarr67
04-23-2011, 8:11 AM
How about the Grand Parents? Couldn't they give him a handgun?

Mickey D
04-23-2011, 8:15 AM
You'll shoot yer eye out kid...;)

Damn, I scrolled through the whole thread to be certain someone didn't all ready make that quote. Beat me to it! :D

MASTERLAB
04-23-2011, 8:25 AM
take your dad shooting with you, buy a gun safe for the house, be patient

viet4lifeOC
04-23-2011, 8:29 AM
Talk to your dad about why you want a handgun. A hobby/sport where focus and technique is invaluable and applicable to almost anything in life. A great way to relieve stress from daily life and the rigors of academia. A way of meeting like minded individuals who value and express their 2nd amendment rights. Lastly, a means of self-protection.

Next, ask your dad to go shooting with you...to bond. Let him see how seriously you enjoy the sport and how respectful you are in observing handgun safety.

And finally, tell your dad..no matter if you differ in opinion that you will respect his decision as long as you live in his house.

I'll go against the grain of most in here by saying that I think you should buy a handgun if your dad permits. The law that requires that you be 18 like much of California gun law is sane, reasonable, and is there to protect you :rolleyes:. As for buying a handgun without being able to afford ammo or having a hard time going to the range or buying ammo for the handgun after wards. I am sure you'll find a legal and reasonable solution to that. Dare I say, no self-respecting gun owner lets his handgun(s) just collect dust cause life situation changes..ie work schedule, short on money, lost interest...

I've only starting shooting a little less than a year ago. One of my regrets is not starting earlier. Knowing what I know now..I would do what I am advising you to do. Is it right or wrong? Depends on the person.

You seem responsible (working since 14 and at it for the last 5 years), goal oriented (college), practical (major chosen), respectful (asking for advice to convince your parents rather than finding other illegal means), etc.

Foriegn power
04-23-2011, 8:36 AM
Just get a shotgun man it's all good and possible a pistol grip!

Can't buy anything here
04-23-2011, 8:39 AM
There was a similar thread about a guy who wanted to move out of state to buy off roster handguns...I say, find a pro gun couple...have them adopt you...get the gun...then move back with your biological parents.

Bryansix
04-23-2011, 8:40 AM
You should also take into consideration that your parents need to obtain a HSC in order to take possession of a handgun. It's not just filling out paper work. If they don't know a thing about gun safety, they may not pass the written test.

Most people can pass the HSC without studying by choosing the most restrictive answer available. It is multiple choice, not fill in the blank.

richzmn
04-23-2011, 8:49 AM
Just rent before you buy. Explain to your Dad the laws. Take him to the range to check out the guns you want. He knows your a good student and hard worker. Tell him it has to be purchased this way (gift). It's already your hobby/relaxation and that you are already a responsible gun owner.

You should buy at least a small safe from Home Depot for the handgun. Your rifle won't fit, but you could store the BCG in the safe anyway.

TKM
04-23-2011, 9:01 AM
When your parents (the people who know you better than anyone else) aren't that enthusiastic about the idea you may have to wait it out.

M1 Garand at 7, 1911 and Ruger MKI at 16. Dozens and dozens since.

daybreak
04-23-2011, 9:16 AM
I have no advice to offer, but if it makes you feel better, I could not even buy my own handguns while I lived at my parents' house at age 23, because my mom still treats me like i'm 13. She illogically disregarded the fact that my dad slept next to her with a loaded 1911 every night.

I'm 26 now, and when I visit her in the bay area, she still insists that I don't drive when it's dark. She doesn't know about the guns I own now and would probably worry herself sick if she found out.

esartori
04-23-2011, 9:31 AM
Cal poly SLO or Pomona? And most engineering majors don't inflate grades like other. Try taking some of the Organic chemistry or higher level physics and math. Anyone would find a 3.0 pretty desirable. Even at Berkeley the avaerage engineer gpa is about a 3.0. But then again, that is one of the hardest schools out here

Bigbird19
04-23-2011, 9:43 AM
Thanks to everyone for their advice

I really wasn't expecting it to sway into a major related discussion and I didn't make the gpa statement to sound like I was settling but to let you know that I'm not slacking and recognize the importance of my schooling

Second the sanity statement was just a joke, I do feel it is important to have a hobby in school to keep balanced, it was football but we don't have a team.. replace shoot with the word football and it would have been a normal sentence..

I really like the idea of taking my father to the range I didn't really think about that, is there anything else I should tell him regarding the financial aspect. I used to be heavy into airsoft and that cost more then real guns itself sometimes and he was ok witt that, any other hints?

nbkvig2
04-23-2011, 9:53 AM
I was in a similar position. I started out with a .22lr rifle, which is what I wanted anyways. I was around your age at the time. When I turned 21, I bought a handgun and told my parents about it. Both of their responses were why do you need it? You could have spent it on something else. But at the end of the day, they did not flip out, and they respected the decision. Majority of that probably comes from being a responsible rifle owner.

If I were you, I'd go out and buy a .22lr. It's a lot easier to swallow than a handgun. Give it some time, maybe 6 months maybe sooner, once it settles down...pitch them the idea of getting a handgun (with their help), for competition or w.e.

pdugan6
04-23-2011, 10:08 AM
2 years....

wait it out like a big boy. nobody likes a child with special treatment
http://www.graphics.iparenting.com/photopost/data/549/medium/00014290.JPG

By the way Im just trying to be funny so NHF

Stealth
04-23-2011, 10:19 AM
How to convince your parents?

You don't.

On the positive imagine the law changes in 2 years that will occur. Imagine not only buying your first handgun at 21 on your own but perhaps without the roster and also for your first CCW handgun.

Good luck with your school and your wait.

angelina
04-23-2011, 10:21 AM
wait until you're living on your own and paying your bills. sounds ****ty and isn't what you wanna hear but it's the best decision. my parents are the same- not anti gun but far from pro. lucky for me, I have other family that is pro gun and since I was a little kid my cousin and I have been shooting- started on a red rider! I bought my own handgun when I was no longer under my parents roof or control. then,they can't say anything about it. it was a 100% legal firearm purchase, I am a legal adult, going to school, have a job and I'm paying my own bills. yes, they did say "why do you need a gun" well-my mom did. my dad didn't -im a single female living alone. so he worries.

but anyway. wait until you're paying the bills and you're out on your own. then your activities and hobbies are your business. you can tell them or not tell them.

angelina
04-23-2011, 10:23 AM

another 26 year old! what's up?!

tuna quesadilla
04-23-2011, 11:37 AM
If it's THAT important to you, move to a different state. In Arizona you can buy a pistol from a private party at 18 years old.

Colt-45
04-23-2011, 11:40 AM
Maturity and smarts are not the same......laws are there for a reason,get a rifle...wait a little.......

Wait, wha?! I had 3 handguns before age 21 and nothing happened. I'm still here!:D

Bigbird19
04-23-2011, 11:58 AM
If it's THAT important to you, move to a different state. In Arizona you can buy a pistol from a private party at 18 years old.

Can I then register it in california?

mlevans66
04-23-2011, 12:09 PM
Wow, old enough to die for there country, vote for the leadership and smokle a cig but can't by a handgun. EPIC FAIL! Look college is a stepping stone to get a job. You can gain knowledge by living life. There are plenty of people with MASTERS degrees and are morons and fools ( present administration and cal. gov.. ). This kids seems to have todays new super power.....COMMON SENSE! Lets forget his GPA and move on to the real issue. Kid you have to wait or either move out of your parents home and into AZ. Don't like your options then vote for change or do what gun control activist do and whine and cry till they change the law. Seeing as how that kid in AZ killeded all those people you're not going to get a change of age law. Also to quote ninjawho "Maturity and smarts are not the same......laws are there for a reason,get a rifle...wait a little.......

Man, please what about this retarded bulletbotton law, anything over 10rnd mag ban, and soon to be open carry ban? All laws aren't made for sound reason. Those laws are MADE and not voted by the people to come into play. I like a republic but man our reps are losing there minds! My two cents

sk8804
04-23-2011, 12:17 PM
I was in the same boat, they will never be convinced. Trust me, i am glad i waited until i was 21 to get my first pistol. Instead of getting one now, get more familiar with use, and responsibility of having a weapon. I know, i thought i was ready too, but it is more than it seems to be a responsible owner and handler. If i ever have kids, they will have to wait until legal age. I woke up on my 21st and dros'd and within one year I have learned so much and have even taught a thing or two.

tuna quesadilla
04-23-2011, 12:20 PM
Can I then register it in california?

Sure! The only thing is you have to be a resident of that state to buy a pistol there. IIRC, it's a Federal crime to buy a pistol in a state where you're not a resident. So you would actually need to rent an apartment in AZ, get an AZ driver's license, etc... It's a huuuuuge undertaking just to be able to buy a pistol, but I'm just throwing it out there for you.

You're also gonna need to learn to handload your ammunition because you will have a very hard time acquiring handgun ammunition at 19 years old. Trust me, I know :cool:

peter95
04-23-2011, 12:21 PM
save up for 2 more years, then once you can get it legally, spend the money on a gun you really want. That way you know you already have enough money to cover whatever you want.... (Of course to a certain limitation)

Just wait for it.... It'll be that much sweeter

Killawhale415
04-23-2011, 12:30 PM
This^^^ I saved up and got me a Kimber

Mssr. Eleganté
04-23-2011, 12:35 PM
So after reading and rereading the laws, the only way I can recieve a handgun is through a family transfer. The only problem now is convincing my parents to fill out paperwork for a handgun for me. My parents aren't antigun but they are far from pro gun. My father will say I can use the money for other things...

You need to know that you can't pay for the handgun. It's against the law for your dad to buy a handgun for you from an FFL with your money. He can only buy it for you if it is a bona fide gift.

He buys it with his money as a gift for you = LEGAL

He buys it with your money and gives it to you = STRAW PURCHASE

pepsi2451
04-23-2011, 1:01 PM
There sure are a lot of people here telling you to wait but I haven't read one good reason why you should. If they already said no, then wait, but there is no harm in asking. Like someone else pointed out, its ridiculous that you could serve your country but you can't buy a handgun.

When you talk to your parents make sure they know you really enjoy shooting and you don't just want one because they are cool.

For the financial aspect you can mention that guns hold their value fairly well. Unless your buying a collectors piece it probably won't go up in value (although it could) but you can get a lot of use out of it without it loosing much value, especially if you buy used.

Icypu
04-23-2011, 2:05 PM
I think the best thing to do for the OP is to wait. Also, demonstrate patience. In the end, if your parents end up buying a gun for you, it's only a straw purchase if you are a prohibited person.

loosewreck
04-23-2011, 2:35 PM
Show your folks you're a responsible gun owner. Don't play around with guns in front of them. Take them out to the range, teach them the proper safety precautions. Let your folks know that weather it's a handgun or rifle you're just as safe with them,

^^^This seems to be the best advice.

But really, 2 years ain't sh!+. It feels like forever, but once you pass that thresh hold you'll wish you could do a Superman and make time go backwards.

HK Dave
04-23-2011, 2:38 PM
Buy a rifle and on your 21st birthday, go dros a handgun. Patience is a sign of maturity.

Focus your energies on your education and girls. ;)

Trendkill
04-23-2011, 2:54 PM
Do you have to turn 21 before being issued a sidearm in the armed forces..?

CSACANNONEER
04-23-2011, 3:04 PM
Wow, so much bad info here. I didn't read every post so, if I'm coving something already covered, I apologize. First, I've lived in Ca all my life, I've been working since I was 12 and I've never needed a work permit. Since when does every job in Ca require minors to have them? I'm just curious. Secondly, having a parent or grandparent transfer a handgun is not the only legal way an 18-20 year old can aquire one. There is another option. You can legally manufacture one. That said, what do you have against long guns? A .22lr rifle is a much better first gun than any handgun is. So, go get one and wait until you're 21 and a little more mature before buying your own handgun.

PandaLuv
04-23-2011, 3:26 PM
Do you have to turn 21 before being issued a sidearm in the armed forces..?

ahhh, no....

you can shoot a .50 caliber BMG machine gun and full auto m16s at the age of 17 if you're enlisted in US Military.

12voltguy
04-23-2011, 3:53 PM
I must have owned 15 hanguns before I was 21
mom was great:) bad part was the 20 day or so wait back then. but buying pvt party was NO FFL back then too, or long guns no wait

DannyInSoCal
04-23-2011, 3:59 PM
Get a 21yr old girlfriend with a pistol...

Trendkill
04-23-2011, 4:02 PM
ahhh, no....

you can shoot a .50 caliber BMG machine gun and full auto m16s at the age of 17 if you're enlisted in US Military.

Point is. I think all this GPA , maturity , have some patience crap is beside the point.

He should be able to have a handgun regardless of the dumb laws in this state....he's an adult. If he has an AR (type) rifle I'm pretty sure he isn't going to turn evil all of a sudden if a handgun gets within his reach.

Lets just address his question with some good answers instead of questioning his maturity and intellect.

CSACANNONEER
04-23-2011, 4:04 PM
ahhh, no....

Wow, the military makes you wait until you're 17? I know plenty of 10-12 year olds who have shot FA M2s at MG shoots throughout the country. But, what does shooting a FA M2 have to do with owning a handgun?

209Man
04-23-2011, 4:06 PM
When I was 19, I wasn't mature enough to own a hand gun. I'm not saying you are not. :) I wasn't really raised around them. I had my own .22 semi and .303 british. But I was more nervous handling a handgun than a rifle.

Your parents are there for a reason, to help guide you through life. I'm 39 years old and still learn from my parents. They have been around a lot longer than I have, and know more than me.

The_Tinman
04-23-2011, 4:19 PM
I remember being in your shoes, I bought a 10/22 and shot the piss out of it while I waited.

As for ammo concerns, who is to say that the .357 mag ammo I bought yesterday isn't for a winchester lever action rifle, or the .40 s&w for the Ruger PC4 carbine I'm saving up to purchase this summer? That should help the ammo availability.

For years shooting a large volume of rimfire used to cure that damn itchy trigger disease I inherited. An interesting bit of information I have gathered over the years is that your parents may not have the same interest you have and see it as a huge waste of money. My mom qualified as a marks(wo)man in the army and that was the last time that she has held a firearm.

I think the most important thing for you to do is go to them as an adult, present them with the reasons you want a handgun, the pro's and cons regarding ownership at your age and the opportunities it can afford you. Your desire to compete since your accredited school lacks your previous compassion, football. Just remember when you present your case not to appear to be that whining 7 year old who got the wrong color bike for Christmas. Respect their decision and take up skeet shooting in the mean time. Heck, show them a cost comparison between the competition grade berretta 12 gauge and the competition grade pistol you want.

Also, as previously suggested, share your shooting compassion with your parents, stress range rules and safety during the trip. Show them your maturity and respect for firearms.

Trendkill
04-23-2011, 4:22 PM
I remember being in your shoes, I bought a 10/22 and shot the piss out of it while I waited.

As for ammo concerns, who is to say that the .357 mag ammo I bought yesterday isn't for a winchester lever action rifle, or the .40 s&w for the Ruger PC4 carbine I'm saving up to purchase this summer? That should help the ammo availability.

For years shooting a large volume of rimfire used to cure that damn itchy trigger disease I inherited. An interesting bit of information I have gathered over the years is that your parents may not have the same interest you have and see it as a huge waste of money. My mom qualified as a marks(wo)man in the army and that was the last time that she has held a firearm.

I think the most important thing for you to do is go to them as an adult, present them with the reasons you want a handgun, the pro's and cons regarding ownership at your age and the opportunities it can afford you. Your desire to compete since your accredited school lacks your previous compassion, football. Just remember when you present your case not to appear to be that whining 7 year old who got the wrong color bike for Christmas. Respect their decision and take up skeet shooting in the mean time. Heck, show them a cost comparison between the competition grade berretta 12 gauge and the competition grade pistol you want.

Also, as previously suggested, share your shooting compassion with your parents, stress range rules and safety during the trip. Show them your maturity and respect for firearms.

Well said. Perfect.

The_Tinman
04-23-2011, 5:10 PM
Well said. Perfect.

Thank you, I'm kinda working on my mom in Maine... I sure would like an lcp and she is a few birthday presents behind hahaha... My only problem is, she is ultra liberal... And well I'm not...

Best of luck to the OP.

Dark Mod
04-23-2011, 5:48 PM
you should probably just wait

mugiwara
04-23-2011, 5:58 PM
just go to east oakland and look around in the bushes. you might find a nice needle too.

CSACANNONEER
04-23-2011, 6:34 PM
Thank you, I'm kinda working on my mom in Maine... I sure would like an lcp and she is a few birthday presents behind hahaha... My only problem is, she is ultra liberal... And well I'm not...

Best of luck to the OP.

Do what I did. Get married, have your wife move to another state for a job and get a new DL. Now, if she can just find a nice COP for me, I'll let her move back.

MarioS
04-23-2011, 7:51 PM
Think about why you honestly want a handgun and just tell them the truth, don't lie. If you want one because you are interested in the shooting sports, tell them that, and that you want to practice safe gun handling/ownership. If you're thinking you and your dad could go out and shoot together, even better. Just expect that they might need to think about it for a week or two, and get used to the fact there's a gun in the house at least a month after you get it. Just remember to put yourself in their shoes; your child just asked you to buy a handgun for him.

The_Tinman
04-23-2011, 8:01 PM
Do what I did. Get married, have your wife move to another state for a job and get a new DL. Now, if she can just find a nice COP for me, I'll let her move back.

How'd you convince her to go? We had a house in OK near her mom and the best I could get was a month long vacation.

sequoia_nomad
04-23-2011, 8:23 PM
Point is. I think all this GPA , maturity , have some patience crap is beside the point.

He should be able to have a handgun regardless of the dumb laws in this state....he's an adult. If he has an AR (type) rifle I'm pretty sure he isn't going to turn evil all of a sudden if a handgun gets within his reach.

Lets just address his question with some good answers instead of questioning his maturity and intellect.

Should be able to? We should all be able to do a great many things that the rest of this country enjoys (high cap mags,no bullet button, no handgun roster, no lead free ammo, etc. ad nauseum), but since we live in Ca we unfortunately cannot.

As an adult and responsible citizen this is something we must simply learn to deal with, or move out of this tyrannical state. I don't believe he will "turn evil" either, but without familial transfer or manufacturing, there is no legal way for the OP to own a handgun in this state at 19.

Unfortunately, maturity and intellect do not come into play with regards to gun laws in this sick state. Yes we all agree it's unfair, but in this situation there is no good advice other than to wait until he's 21, or simply buy a rifle or shotgun and enjoy it for the next couple years.

CSACANNONEER
04-24-2011, 8:13 AM
How'd you convince her to go? We had a house in OK near her mom and the best I could get was a month long vacation.

She HATES snakes. We moved to an isolated house in the high desert, she watched me BBQ a few rattlers and, I kept insisting that she carried everytime she stepped out of the house. Last season, I got 3 snakes littlerally against the house before July. That's all it took.

Trendkill
04-24-2011, 1:38 PM
Yes we all agree it's unfair, but in this situation there is no good advice other than to wait until he's 21, or simply buy a rifle or shotgun and enjoy it for the next couple years.

No....there is the option to ask his parents to gift it to him.

If we agree that the law is retarded he should explore every option.

tbhracing
04-25-2011, 11:44 AM
Dont know if it was mentioned yet- Two words- Lay Away.

:chris:

CZ9
04-25-2011, 12:13 PM
Yeah it's tough on a gun nut before the age 21. I wanted a pistol before 21 but I got all my shooting fun with my rifles and shotguns from 18 and never really thought too much more about it. Just gotta wait, and wait, and wait... but in the mean time go buy a nice rifle and shotgun untill you can complete your collection.

sleepr66
04-25-2011, 4:27 PM
You are 19, you are an adult.

As far as convincing your parents go, take them shooting! Let them see first hand that you are a competent and safe firearm owner. But one of the things i would argue is that at this point in your life you can truly afford to buy this luxury and investment. I am young as well and I am stockpiling all my goofy firearms purchases, why? Cause i know in five years I might have 2 mouths to feed,a mortgage and a nagging woman that watches over my bank account like a hawk.

Also, to all the people that say wait another two years. I say how much would it suck to be twenty and 11 months when that burglar thinks he can score on your home.

If you already blew your track record (crashed moms minivan drunk as a skunk or had to be bailed outta jail for that big bag of doja) your probably screwed. Otherwise your a responsible adult, you can afford it, you can do it legally, hot damn someone give that man a pistol!

beretta929mm
04-25-2011, 6:41 PM
Y:):p:pou will shoot your eyes out!

Old4eyes
04-25-2011, 9:06 PM
Man forget the binoculars, break out the spotting scope in order for me to look back that far when I was 21.

I think the OP has a tough road. If the father thinks the money would be better spent on scholastic efforts (whether or not it's money earned by the OP) then you may be spitting into the wind. Now if the fellow in question had been going for a psychology major rather than the chemical degree, he might have obtained some useful tricks.

Time will pass by fast enough. Like others stated, get a rifle if you don't already have one and when you hit 21, start your pistol collection. That way it will be a special birthday.

The_Tinman
04-26-2011, 4:22 PM
She HATES snakes. We moved to an isolated house in the high desert, she watched me BBQ a few rattlers and, I kept insisting that she carried everytime she stepped out of the house. Last season, I got 3 snakes littlerally against the house before July. That's all it took.

Damn, my wife lived in lucerne for a few years growing up. I'll have to find another tactic.

OP, how did the talk with the folks go?

The_Tinman
04-26-2011, 4:26 PM
Why not get another rifle that will complement the pistol you want? That way you can interchange mags between the two? I'd love to have a Ruger PC4 to compliment my P-944...

couch
04-29-2011, 10:38 AM
another 26 year old! what's up?!

Joining the club. Ch Ch!

Lead Waster
04-29-2011, 10:53 AM
Why not just rent a gun at the range, if you can't buy one? In fact, why not invite your Dad or Mom to go to the range with you and shoot with you?

Anything wrong with air-rifles? I swear they are often more fun that firearms. I spent a lot of time plinking cans at the cottage, cheap and fun.

If my kids decide they want a gun, I'll make sure that I bring them to the range to shoot with me first. If they want to shoot, they can come with me. If they are safe with it and really want one and I feel they are mature enough to, heck I'll buy them one when they are legally able to have one.

Also ... my roof, my rules and all that!

Lead Waster
04-29-2011, 11:01 AM
ahhh, no....

OK, the thing to remember here is that when you are in the military, you are under the supervision of your superiors and you are taught how to handle a gun. I've never been in any military service, but I'm pretty sure you don't keep a pistol in your "room" and take it to the local pizza place to impress your friends with it.

I'm pretty sure that being issued an M16 at 17 in the army is a lot different than being some kid spinning a pistol around in his room pretending to be robocop. Something to do with discipline and training.

LTP90
04-29-2011, 11:54 PM
the secret to making it from 18-21 with pistol fever...........women or a woman (or a guess a guy if thats what you like :confused:) Your in college, your there to study school(whatever that is) and girls. You might as well get the practice with women, so you know how to secretly sneak in that new handgun you bought 30 days to the hour after the one you bought the month before that was going to be the "last one" for a while