PDA

View Full Version : Loophole?

Skunk2Racer
04-22-2011, 9:25 PM
I was wondering how long do you have to stay in another state to become a "resident"? I'm thinking change your drivers license to that states. Buy a few off roster guns then move back to Cali. And register your guns here. Should work. What are your thoughts?

sirr6
04-22-2011, 9:38 PM
How are you gonna prove you live there? Have somene write a rental agreement?

Skunk2Racer
04-22-2011, 9:48 PM
Stay with friends there for the minimum requirement to establish residency. Get a drivers license or ID card. Buy guns. Then in 2 or 3 months move back to Cali

Dirmer3
04-22-2011, 9:50 PM
Hypothetically I think you'd have to find out what that states DMV requires as proof of residency and obtain a drivers license. Then, find out what that state requires as proof of residency to purchase a firearm. Then, you have your answer.

Table Rock Arms
04-22-2011, 10:10 PM
What are you looking for? I would think that either myself or one of the other FFL's doing single shot conversions could help you out. What your talking about seems a little impractical.

Ryan

Oceanbob
04-22-2011, 10:11 PM
One is most States require 6 months plus one day for declaring where you reside. Of course, if you have a real job in Arizona and an apartment..etc..then you are a resident of Arizona.

When you buy a Weapon anywhere they run a National instant Criminal Backround check on you. Then the BATF (the FEDS) will be aware of your gun buying. Recently a man who had a Arizona ID card bought some weapons while he still lived in California. They tracked him and arrested him at his California home. The BATF shares information with the California DOJ as well.

Once you get caught defrauding some Government Agency you will lose your Gun rights for life.

This sort of scheme makes gun owners look bad. :mad:

I would suggest you do several legal Single Shot exemptions thru any of the legitimate California FFLs. Sure it cost a little more but why risk any legal problems.?

Skunk2Racer
04-22-2011, 10:55 PM
Yeah Bad Idea.......

SPaikmos
04-22-2011, 11:12 PM
I agree it's a bad idea. Certainly want to stay on the up and up with the feds.

That said, I've always been curious about what is required to declare residency. That seems like such an amorphous thing to me. IIRC, most states require you to register your car and get a driver's license within 30 days of moving to the state. I don't know what kind of documentation you need in terms of address to get the reg and license; I'm sure a utility bill is good, but even a cell phone or bank statement may work.

Anyway, it's a bad idea all around if you really don't reside in another state. But if you have 3 months off and can live in another state during that time... hmm... I wonder how this would work if you got laid off from a job and decided to relocate elsewhere, while collecting CA unemployment. Probably not a bright idea!

Ubermcoupe
04-23-2011, 12:12 AM
The whole $$$$$$$$$ to properly establish residency + paperwork + time (negating the ethical/legality issue) > SS Exemption. The trouble has always been, for me, finding the parts + FFL to do the SS exemption, especially with the weird pistols I want :(.

I do have faith that CGN and other members here are the best shot at defeating the roster, all I have to do is be patient (which I struggle with...).

locosway
04-23-2011, 3:12 AM
I lived in Oregon for a month before I got my Oregon DL. As far as I know they don't have a requirement, or they didn't ask. All I needed to do was show them my birth certificate.

Rent is so cheap up there, I could easily rent a room and "move-in".

flatovercrest
04-23-2011, 5:47 AM
All this hassle to buy one 1911 instear of another one, or a judge instead of a S&W?
There are what, 1000 guns on the roster? Nothing that catches your attention, eh?

Can't buy anything here
04-23-2011, 6:42 AM
Stay with friends there for the minimum requirement to establish residency.

Doesn't sound like a great deal for your friends either...;)

Librarian
04-23-2011, 11:54 AM
Feds do have their own ideas about residency - http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Federal_residency_requirements
State of residence. The State in which an individual resides.

An individual resides in a State if he or she is present in a State
with the intention of making a home in that State.

Whatever you do, that would make the state where you move believe you are a resident, is what you have to do. I usually think of things already mentioned - get a new state DL, buy/rent a house, work there, pay taxes, vote.

You can sincerely believe you are moving to a new state, and something - your employer transfers you, some natural disaster destroys the business, urgent family matters, whatever - can come up to make you change plans.

sigfan91
04-23-2011, 3:45 PM
I was wondering how long do you have to stay in another state to become a "resident"? I'm thinking change your drivers license to that states. Buy a few off roster guns then move back to Cali. And register your guns here. Should work. What are your thoughts?

Why would you want to move back here?

762.DEFENSE
04-23-2011, 4:13 PM
Why not just up and move if its really that big of a deal to you? I know I want to move to AZ or TX once I'm done with school.

SJgunguy24
04-23-2011, 4:40 PM
Depends on the state, I remember a thread like this a couple years ago. The guy worked in the film industry and had a 4 month job in Louisiana, IIRC La only required 30 days to be considered a resident, and legal to purchase firearms.

echoarms
04-23-2011, 5:50 PM
One is most States require 6 months plus one day for declaring where you reside. Of course, if you have a real job in Arizona and an apartment..etc..then you are a resident of Arizona.

When you buy a Weapon anywhere they run a National instant Criminal Backround check on you. Then the BATF (the FEDS) will be aware of your gun buying. Recently a man who had a Arizona ID card bought some weapons while he still lived in California. They tracked him and arrested him at his California home. The BATF shares information with the California DOJ as well.

Once you get caught defrauding some Government Agency you will lose your Gun rights for life.

This sort of scheme makes gun owners look bad. :mad:

I would suggest you do several legal Single Shot exemptions thru any of the legitimate California FFLs. Sure it cost a little more but why risk any legal problems.?
Link to story? What were the charges? Sounds like FUD. I am a part time Arizona resident and have legally bought guns in AZ and moved back to CA with them legally.

ke6guj
04-23-2011, 7:14 PM
Link to story? What were the charges? Sounds like FUD. I am a part time Arizona resident and have legally bought guns in AZ and moved back to CA with them legally.I think it might have been related to the Cavalry Arms case, http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2010/02/022210-la-firearms-manufacturer-owner-guilty-plea.html

echoarms
04-25-2011, 8:50 AM
I think it might have been related to the Cavalry Arms case, http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2010/02/022210-la-firearms-manufacturer-owner-guilty-plea.html
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=45470This sums it up. I for example have a vacation home that I have a notarized lease at with my belongings and bedroom. When I am in AZ for vacation, I am a resident.

MacDime
04-25-2011, 9:17 AM
All this hassle to buy one 1911 instear of another one, or a judge instead of a S&W?
There are what, 1000 guns on the roster? Nothing that catches your attention, eh?

^THIS

Skunk2Racer
04-25-2011, 12:57 PM
^THIS

Well lets see I want
H&K P30 V2 9mm
Sig Sauer P229 Elite Stainless
P229 Platinum Elite
P229 SAS Gen 2
Rimfire but- S&W M&P15-22P Pistol Just to name a few......