PDA

View Full Version : sold on xd..for my first pistol but...

leroux
04-22-2011, 7:05 PM
any thoughts xd 40 sub vrs tactical?

XDRoX
04-22-2011, 7:13 PM

I think the sub is too bulky for a sub compact gun. So I'd choose the tactical unless you need to conceal, but I'm guessing you don't, since you asked the question.

Why not just go with the service?

CALI SHOT DOC
04-22-2011, 7:13 PM
Do you want a longer sight radius or something easily concealable? Might be easier to learn how to shoot and or become a better shooter with the tactical since you will have a longer sight picture than you would the sub. I have the xd9 tactical that i use in competition and love it.

SixPointEight
04-22-2011, 7:17 PM
Tactical is a great range/competition/general gun. Terrible CCW gun. If you want to to idpa/ispc, it's nice because the 5" takes 1911 recoil springs, so if you want a lighter spring for a light load, it's super easy to do. Nice long sight radius, and the weight of the slide will help eat up recoil.

Shenaniguns
04-22-2011, 9:12 PM
What makes you sold on the XD?

CALI SHOT DOC
04-22-2011, 9:27 PM

probably cause it's a great gun :D

Shenaniguns
04-22-2011, 9:29 PM
probably cause it's a great gun :D

There's tons of great guns in that price range.

Regulus
04-22-2011, 9:44 PM

Is it okay for someone to be sold on something other than a Glock? Do we need a reason not to want a Glock?

The guy wants an XD. He doesn't need to justify his decision.

ChrisTKHarris
04-22-2011, 9:48 PM
Neither, get the Service model.

Joe
04-22-2011, 9:49 PM
^^ lol

Gryff
04-22-2011, 9:50 PM

I wouldn't consider the subcompact unless you are going to carry concealed. The Tactical is a great gun, and a good choice for range shooting and home defense.

Make sure you hold both the Tactical and Service models though. They have different feels due to weight distribution. I like the Tac better, but that's just personal opinion.

Sub95
04-22-2011, 9:54 PM
i shot a XD 40 compact and loved it, i cant put my finger on what it was but i liked it over a mp 40 and the xd .45 compact and the taurus pt 145 mill pro .45

sniper4usmc
04-22-2011, 10:08 PM
because XD factory trigger is better then Glock trigger

ZombieTactics
04-22-2011, 10:20 PM
Depends ... I find the press/break of my XD40 to be crisper and "better" than my Glock22. I find the reset on the Glock22 to be more predictable and "better" than that on the XD40.

I think both have very good triggers overall.

Bulleh
04-22-2011, 10:27 PM
XD40 Tactical if I had to choose between the 2. I just did not like the snappy recoil of the XD40SC. I was accurate but I was not accurate as other pistols in rapid fire (10 rounds in about 2 - 3 seconds) due to the recoil.

zfields
04-22-2011, 11:15 PM
Tactical.

Im not a big fan of the .40 in a compact gun.

slik442
04-22-2011, 11:21 PM
I went with the .40 service and I love it...had to upgrade the sights to some truglo's though

Dark Mod
04-22-2011, 11:28 PM
get the service model, XD is a great gun

Shenaniguns
04-22-2011, 11:31 PM
Is it okay for someone to be sold on something other than a Glock? Do we need a reason not to want a Glock?

The guy wants an XD. He doesn't need to justify his decision.

Does it hurt your feelings that i ask?

mif_slim
04-22-2011, 11:38 PM
Uh-oh. Lol.

Ready! Fight!!

Jk, xd is a great gun as well as others but between those two the service is good for carry, tactical is good for competition although I use my service for both. I only do that for the challenge thou.

Both great guns.

SixPointEight
04-22-2011, 11:42 PM

You have way too much fun in XD threads. You aren't pointlessly bashing here, you were just asking, so I'm not bothered by it. Carry on.

retired
04-23-2011, 12:11 AM
I have had carried a XD9mm subcompact for 7yrs. as my ccw with a Crossbreed IWB holster and no one has yet pointed out that I'm carrying it.

If you have no plans to carry the gun as a ccw, you should buy either the Service or Tactical IMO.

When I first tried shooting some subcompacts for ccw after retiring and being free from the yoke of the dept's rules, I tried the Glock 9, 40 and 45. I found the 40 to be a bit snappy, but doable. I had never heard of the XD at that time. I didn't really care for the grip on the Glocks, plus I limpwristed all 3 of them. When the RO had me try the XD, it just felt so much better in my hand and I've never limpwristed the XD.

AFAIK, .40 cal. ammo is more expensive than 9mm. To become proficient, you need to practice, practice practice and then practice some more. If the price of the .40 is not a factor, then go with that. If it is, I would say go with the 9mm because you will be able to purchase more ammo with the same amount of money and practice more often. Just my 2 cents.

And for the Glock lovers; I am not knocking the Glock. It is a fine handgun, but I like the XD better. I will admit tho I did enjoy shooting Casual Shooter's 10mm at Iron Sights a few days ago.:D

ETA: Also, speaking as a mod now; let's not having any fighting over the Glock vs. XD debate. Please keep it civil.

Shenaniguns
04-23-2011, 7:33 AM
Funny I never mentioned Glock lol

Regulus
04-23-2011, 7:38 AM

Hurt my feelings? No. Don't flatter yourself.

I understand (and have a newfound respect for) those of you who have a passion for your Glocks. I chuckled inside when OceanBob mentioned "Glock" 12 times in 1 post (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=6244592&postcount=3) (which has to be a new record) but he was proudly contributing to a Glock question rather than trolling yet another thread in a juvenile attempt to turn an innocent question into something else.

ETA: Also, speaking as a mod now; let's not having any fighting over the Glock vs. XD debate. Please keep it civil.

There. Didn't fight over the Glock vs. XD debate.

Regulus
04-23-2011, 7:43 AM
Funny I never mentioned Glock lol

Never? (http://www.google.com/cse?cx=018149931542195181678%3Apzxbzjzh1zk&ie=UTF-8&q=Shenaniguns+Glock&sa=Search&siteurl=www.google.com%2Fcse%2Fhome%3Fcx%3D0181499 31542195181678%3Apzxbzjzh1zk) :D

Shenaniguns
04-23-2011, 7:44 AM
Hurt my feelings? No. Don't flatter yourself.

I understand (and have a newfound respect for) those of you who have a passion for your Glocks. I chuckled inside when OceanBob mentioned "Glock" 12 times in 1 post (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=6244592&postcount=3) (which has to be a new record) but he was proudly contributing to a Glock question rather than trolling yet another thread in a juvenile attempt to turn an innocent question into something else.

There. Didn't fight over the Glock vs. XD debate.

I'm going to make this as simple for you as possible, I never mentioned GLOCK and I currently don't own any GLOCKS and if you were a little more observant you might realize that. Whoever called the mod in over my simple question that most newbs can't answer is silly as he won't learn if say a gunstore pushed it as the best gun in the world and that is all he has to go on. He may say, I shot XXX, XXXXX and X and X worked out for me best because Y. It's a legit question and some of you guys are too soft.

Shenaniguns
04-23-2011, 7:46 AM
Never? (http://www.google.com/cse?cx=018149931542195181678%3Apzxbzjzh1zk&ie=UTF-8&q=Shenaniguns+Glock&sa=Search&siteurl=www.google.com%2Fcse%2Fhome%3Fcx%3D0181499 31542195181678%3Apzxbzjzh1zk) :D

Great job Sherlock, I mean in this thread? :rolleyes:

BTW, I guess you did too so eject yourself
http://www.google.com/custom?hl=en&safe=off&client=google-coop-np&cof=FORID%3A13%3BAH%3Aleft%3BS%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww. calguns.net%2F%3BCX%3ACalguns%2520Custom%2520Searc h%3BL%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.calguns.net%2Fimages%2Fne wcalguns.jpg%3BLH%3A100%3BLP%3A1%3BKMBOC%3A%233366 99%3B&adkw=AELymgW6mfly_KQFC54V0Aa08yPv1nht5x2T116QDzukz nQIugXyKHFHZf197OQ2a8RvZy7KDzDLDtLn7vkd8RPHD0s8Eh6 IPFGr1qJwwvG-kWLUgDE3pHQ&boostcse=0&q=Regulus+Glock&cx=018149931542195181678%3Apzxbzjzh1zk

mif_slim
04-23-2011, 7:55 AM
I don't think anyone called the mod, I think he just came in as usual. Checking and reading posts and wanted to reply. Mods can reply to topics now??

Gryff
04-23-2011, 11:00 AM

Doesn't hurt mine, but I think you chiming in this way is a bit rude. The OP's question had nothing to do with interest in other models, yet you post in a way that contributes nothing to answering the question and implies that the OP should consider other guns.

It was subtle, but being a known XD basher (despite never owning one), people knew that the only reason you are here is imply that there are better choices than the XD.

You have good info on the M&P, but you should give serious thought whether your comments in XD-specific threads contribute to the community, or just service your own biases.

As for the Glock comments, XD fans are used to being bashed by Glock fans, so I'm sure the other person just assumed you were a Glock shooter. That's usually the case when someone starts off questioning the choice in an XD thread.

Personally, I disagree. I give Glock deserved kudos because the take-up and break feel similar to the XD, but the reset distance is much better. Additionally, a Glock is disgustingly simple to disassemble and do a $.25 trigger job or drop in a 3-1/2# connector.

But despite this, I still prefer the XD because of ergonomics and feel to the gun. I simply shoot an XD far better than I shoot a Glock.

pacifico23
04-23-2011, 11:23 AM
Get a .45 or 9mm if you want to be more economical. When I tried out the XDs when I purchased mine I found the 40 to be to snappy of a recoil. I really liked the .45 and 9mm but settled on the .45

corcoraj2002
04-23-2011, 11:28 AM
My first pistol was a Springfield XD .40 service model. It's a great home defense weapon. For the range and practice I have a Beretta M9.
Just my $0.02

J

gorenut
04-23-2011, 11:34 AM
You'll enjoy shooting the tactical more. As others have mentioned.. unless you're going to be carrying, no reason to get a sub-compact.

That being said.. have you shot the XD in both 40 and 9mm? Way back when I got my first semi, I made the mistake of getting a 40 due to the mindset that if I can only carry 10, I might as well make it the 10 biggest bullets I can fit (had a P226 so 45 was out of the question). When I finally switched over to 9s, my shooting accuracy and precision drastically increased.. not only because it was easier to shoot.. but also because I shot WAY more often due to cost. All that experience translated easily across all calibers. If cost isn't an issue though and you like the 40, by all means go for it. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

CZ9
04-23-2011, 12:04 PM
Is there any reason the service length isnt in the runnings?
I'd say that the sc is too small just for range use, and I just dont happen to be a fan of the tactical 5"

Shenaniguns
04-23-2011, 12:34 PM
Doesn't hurt mine, but I think you chiming in this way is a bit rude. The OP's question had nothing to do with interest in other models, yet you post in a way that contributes nothing to answering the question and implies that the OP should consider other guns.

It was subtle, but being a known XD basher (despite never owning one), people knew that the only reason you are here is imply that there are better choices than the XD.

You have good info on the M&P, but you should give serious thought whether your comments in XD-specific threads contribute to the community, or just service your own biases.

As for the Glock comments, XD fans are used to being bashed by Glock fans, so I'm sure the other person just assumed you were a Glock shooter. That's usually the case when someone starts off questioning the choice in an XD thread.

Personally, I disagree. I give Glock deserved kudos because the take-up and break feel similar to the XD, but the reset distance is much better. Additionally, a Glock is disgustingly simple to disassemble and do a $.25 trigger job or drop in a 3-1/2# connector.

But despite this, I still prefer the XD because of ergonomics and feel to the gun. I simply shoot an XD far better than I shoot a Glock.

Some of you guys are way too touchy, enjoy your XD (I mean your M&P 9c that you carry). And if you are saying I need to stay with M&P specific threads, it's not happening. :cool2:

bluzman
04-23-2011, 12:38 PM
JMO but I'd go for the XD Service. FWIW, I shot a Glock 17, XD9 Service and an FS M&P .40 before buying a FS M&P9 as my first pistol. Recently I revisited the XD Service (in a .40 this time) because a friend is selling one and frankly I'd like to add a .40 to my roster. CCW isn't an issue since I'd guess that the chances of getting approved in CA are slim. Anyway, after firing the XD40 and my M&P9 side by side last weekend, I didn't find the recoil to be that much different even though the ammo was clearly different (180 gr vs 115 gr, respectively). The XD felt comfortable in my hand and I shot it accurately. That said, the two guns are definitely not the same...for example, the axis of the XD's barrel looks like it sits a little higher relative to the grip vs my M&P...but for me at least it wasn't a "wow, those really feel different" kind of thing. JMO

MaHoTex
04-23-2011, 12:40 PM
Neither, get the Service model.

^ This ^

I chose the service model and am happy with my choice.

Gryff
04-23-2011, 1:02 PM
Some of you guys are way too touchy, enjoy your XD (I mean your M&P 9c that you carry). And if you are saying I need to stay with M&P specific threads, it's not happening. :cool2:

I'm saying make a choice:

1) Contribute positively to the discussion
2) Don't contribute because you don't have constructive input
3) Accept that you are a troll

Personally, I would like to see you choose #1. You have some quality insights on certain handguns. But it seems like you have a pattern of choosing #3 when the topic is the XD.

The sad part in choosing #3 is that you've never even owned the gun. Your input is based on the hearsay and the opinions of others, yet you feel compelled to chime in on many XD threads. On the other hand, I have complete respect for your thoughts on the M&P because of your actual experience with the gun.

And yes, I like different guns for different purposes. I love my M&Pc (which is a .40 FWIW) for CCW because I consider it superior to the XDsc and small Glocks.

CarlozRossi
04-23-2011, 1:10 PM
Go with the service. Small guns have more recoil. I don't prefer longer slides because sometimes the weight distribution feels a bit off.

DannyZRC
04-23-2011, 1:25 PM
I would be happy to hear why Leroux wants an XD / is sold on them, but is only deciding on length.

I would say that if they intend to CCW, clearly the 3" is the way to go.

if they don't want to CCW, the 5" is appealing, but I'd bet that the 4" has better support in terms of holsters and other accessories. I would probably go with the 5", but I don't see myself ever buying an XD for various reasons.

fdk8776
04-23-2011, 1:38 PM
I have an XD .45 Tactical and love it. I'm not some crazy XD fanboy. Just bought it because it fit really good in my hand and when I sight it, the angle on my wrist is natural. The Glock was too big in my hand and I didn't like the trigger on the S&W. It is for home defense and fun. I don't have a CCW so it wasn't about size. Overall, I love it and would buy another XD, probably the XDm, 9mm to have something smaller with a less expensive round, that will come after I figure out what AR I want to build! :) Hope you enjoy whatever you choose.

fdk8776
04-23-2011, 1:57 PM
...and I went with the tactical over the .40, 4" purely because it's a .45, big and accurate (as a first weapon).

ChrisTKHarris
04-23-2011, 2:02 PM
...and I went with the tactical over the .40, 4" purely because it's a .45, big and accurate (as a first weapon).

Tactical models have 5" barrels brosef.

fdk8776
04-23-2011, 2:58 PM
I shot the .40 in a 4" barrel. Didn't shoot the tactical version.

Shenaniguns
04-23-2011, 5:08 PM
I'm saying make a choice:

1) Contribute positively to the discussion
2) Don't contribute because you don't have constructive input
3) Accept that you are a troll

Personally, I would like to see you choose #1. You have some quality insights on certain handguns. But it seems like you have a pattern of choosing #3 when the topic is the XD.

The sad part in choosing #3 is that you've never even owned the gun. Your input is based on the hearsay and the opinions of others, yet you feel compelled to chime in on many XD threads. On the other hand, I have complete respect for your thoughts on the M&P because of your actual experience with the gun.

And yes, I like different guns for different purposes. I love my M&Pc (which is a .40 FWIW) for CCW because I consider it superior to the XDsc and small Glocks.

Accept whatever you want about me, just because I've never owned an XD does not mean I don't have personal experience with one and/or seen some of the documented failures in person. I have more experience with Glocks more than any other handgun but assuming that you know what my experience is silly. The XD or XD vs. threads I've responded too previously were when people would ask the "Good and Bad" of them and the people who would get bunched undies did not want to hear the bad end of it. If I wanted fluff I'd grab practically any gun rag that never has a negative review, but I have no problem listing the good and bad of the guns I prefer as well.

Ultimate
04-23-2011, 5:13 PM
I have an XD 9 subcompact. I fired both the tactical and service model at the range and came away very impressed with them. On that note I decided to buy the subcompact. It is a great gun but I never got my CCW and now wish I would have gotten the tactical or service. As great as the subcompact is (which it is) the bigger versions were even more impressive.

stormvet
04-23-2011, 5:18 PM
Shenaniguns, I think people are just amazed that after all this time you never tire of taking shots at XD's, your one man crusade to exterminate XD's from Calguns is heroic and comical at the same time.

SixPointEight
04-23-2011, 6:42 PM

I like my xd, but I'll say the XDsc is trash.

I would be happy to hear why Leroux wants an XD / is sold on them, but is only deciding on length.

I would say that if they intend to CCW, clearly the 3" is the way to go.

if they don't want to CCW, the 5" is appealing, but I'd bet that the 4" has better support in terms of holsters and other accessories. I would probably go with the 5", but I don't see myself ever buying an XD for various reasons.

The 4" and 5" share almost all the same holsters and "other accessories." and the 3" is simply too big to be seriously considered as a carry gun IMO. It's so thick it's ridiculous.

Shenaniguns, I think people are just amazed that after all this time you never tire of taking shots at XD's, your one man crusade to exterminate XD's from Calguns is heroic and comical at the same time.

370 posts and he knows how the handgun forum runs haha

evidens83
04-23-2011, 6:51 PM
Tactical>Sub but Service>Tactical ;)

a1fabweld
04-23-2011, 7:24 PM
XD's are awesome! I have 2 service models & they've both performed 100%. Never had a fail to do anything with either. Plus they won't blow up on you!

Bigtwin
04-23-2011, 7:39 PM
I enjoy my Xd 40 service. It is not easy to conceal unless the dead of winter and a lot of clothing(though not impossible, and can be done at other times too). I went with the service because it was not my intention to conceal, and I avoided the tactical because of the price at the time for me. I felt the service was a happy medium and lent itself well for home defence. Never looked back, happy with my decision.

MarioS
04-23-2011, 7:46 PM
I see them as two guns for two entirely different purposes. I'd take the sub-compact for concealment and the Tactical would be more for range or competition. For service/duty use, I still prefer the Service model. If you just like smaller guns, you could get a grip extension for the sub-compact and use that for a range gun.

USMC VET
04-23-2011, 8:59 PM
Great choice, early congratulations on a great gun. I'd go service or tactical if you have no plans of ccw.

mif_slim
04-23-2011, 9:06 PM
I am sad to say the xd has gone south on me today. Shot my last few good rounds out of my barrel...the rest was keyholes... I finally took a look down my barrel and it look like a smooth bore shotgun barrel. Haha..oh well, it serviced me well for 10 years and some 125k+ rounds thru it... Time for a firedragon barrel!!

Shenaniguns
04-23-2011, 9:43 PM
I am sad to say the xd has gone south on me today. Shot my last few good rounds out of my barrel...the rest was keyholes... I finally took a look down my barrel and it look like a smooth bore shotgun barrel. Haha..oh well, it serviced me well for 10 years and some 125k+ rounds thru it... Time for a firedragon barrel!!

The XD hasn't been around for 10 years lol, I'd like to see pics of the smooth bore though.

mif_slim
04-23-2011, 9:59 PM
Wow, u sure know your guns. I have a stamp on my original case, Feb-2-2002.... Hum, 02,03,04,05,06,07,08,09,10,11.... That's ten years. ;)

Shenaniguns
04-23-2011, 10:06 PM
Wow, u sure know your guns. I have a stamp on my original case, Feb-2-2002.... Hum, 02,03,04,05,06,07,08,09,10,11.... That's ten years. ;)

2002+10= 2012 so I'm sure that 125,000 round count may be off ;)

Seriously post a pic of the smoothbore, that's pretty cool.

mif_slim
04-23-2011, 10:43 PM
Uh... Here we go again... Can't stand it that a xd made it past 125k? Lol. It's not suppose to!! Their suppose to break down at 100 rounds... Every xd is known to do it because you were there to see it! ;)

mif_slim
04-23-2011, 10:49 PM
Shenanigans, I was just joking so don't take to heart.

I'll get a pic for you as soon as I get the chance.

locosway
04-24-2011, 7:41 AM
XD's shoot great, and I was happy that my wife finally had a handgun of her own! Then I went to clean her gun... Man, what a nightmare!!! I'll keep my Glocks.

OP, if you have a CCW, then get the smaller SC. If you aren't going to carry concealed, then get the Service or Tactical model. I'm curious though, have you shot the SC? It's not nearly as fun as the Service model, but it does shoot exceptionally well for being a small gun.

Also, consider 9mm because the ammo is a lot cheaper. In the long run you'll be able to shoot more and carry more ammo.

zfields
04-24-2011, 8:59 AM
XD's shoot great, and I was happy that my wife finally had a handgun of her own! Then I went to clean her gun... Man, what a nightmare!!! I'll keep my Glocks.

How is it a nightmare, they break down in to the same amount of parts for the most part, and have the same areas that need to be cleaned. I actually prefer the method of break down on the XD.

Old4eyes
04-24-2011, 9:13 AM
If the use of the gun is range/home defense and not ccw (good luck on that in California) I'd go for the Tactical for two reasons:

1. Less muzzle flip
2. Should you mount a light - laser or combo of both, it probably won't extend beyond the end of the barrel. The looks of the light extending beyond the barrel doesn't bother me that much, but anything that extends beyond the muzzle will take some abuse from the muzzle flash.

The original poster should try to find the pistols in the barrel length he is proposing and shoot both to get a feel for what they are like.

locosway
04-24-2011, 10:33 AM
How is it a nightmare, they break down in to the same amount of parts for the most part, and have the same areas that need to be cleaned. I actually prefer the method of break down on the XD.

You like using a punch to remove the roll pin to detail strip the slide? Or have you no idea what I'm talking about?

Last time I took apart my Glock, I didn't need a punch, or have to wear safety glasses for fear of losing an eye from the firing spring.

zfields
04-24-2011, 10:59 AM
Oh to do a full disassembly yea, I thought you were talking about a normal cleaning.

Then again, Ive detail stripped my XD once in 5kish rounds, and only did that because I was bored.

locosway
04-24-2011, 5:21 PM
Oh to do a full disassembly yea, I thought you were talking about a normal cleaning.

Then again, Ive detail stripped my XD once in 5kish rounds, and only did that because I was bored.

That's my normal cleaning every couple thousand rounds. The gun gets detail stripped and inspected.

mincoda
04-24-2011, 5:56 PM
I have both the XD9 and 40 and love them both. They are both just quality pistols. If you can open a refrigerator door and take out a beer you can field strip an XD.

mif_slim
04-24-2011, 5:57 PM
Detail stripped isn't bad either. If you concider it bad, you'll hate the mkii series not to mention the mki is worst!

gtturborex
04-28-2011, 8:51 AM
i shot a XD 40 compact and loved it, i cant put my finger on what it was but i liked it over a mp 40 and the xd .45 compact and the taurus pt 145 mill pro .45

That was the XD40 Subcompact that you shot and liked;)

OP- Like others have stated it all depends on what you are wanting to do with your firearm. If you are planning to conceal then the SC is the way to go. If not, go with the 4" or 5" barrel as they are definitely easier to shoot. I have a XD9SC, XD40SC, and a XD45C and I am much more accurate with the 4" barrel of the XD45. I bought the subs because I plan on getting my wife and I our CCW in the future.

Shenaniguns
04-28-2011, 8:55 AM
A cop did it recently here lol
http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=95638#Post95638

zfields
04-28-2011, 9:02 AM
A cop did it recently here lol
http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=95638#Post95638

I wouldnt exactly say most cops are the ideal display of proper maintinance and firearm knowledge : )

We know you dont like XD's, but theres plenty of people that do.

PS I took a sip of that M&P kool aid, through my friends 9L with apex kit. Not to bad at all, couldnt shoot it for ***** since Ive been shooting my CZ75SA for a while now though.

Dreaded Claymore
04-28-2011, 9:31 AM
I hope Leroux knows whether or not he wants to conceal the gun on her/his person or not, so we can give her/him better advice, instead of just trying to defend our XDs from Shenaniguns.

zfields
04-28-2011, 9:33 AM
I hope Leroux knows whether or not he wants to conceal the gun on her/his person or not, so we can give her/him better advice, instead of just trying to defend our XDs from Shenaniguns.

I think most the advice waas given in the first few responses.....after that it all goes into normal "my junk is bigger then yours" like just about every other "is this pistol good" thread.

five.five-six
04-28-2011, 9:35 AM
sold on xd..for my first pistol but...

shoot it first, barrow one at steel madness and give it a whirl for 300 rounds

no question it is an excellent gun and many people love them

I just can't stand shooting them, so just make sure you are not like me in that regard before buying one

Barbarossa
04-28-2011, 9:52 AM
I went with both.

I have a 5" and a SC.

5" is in the safe and SC is in the night stand.

USMC VET
04-28-2011, 10:36 AM

:rofl2: I LOVE my XD!!! Plan on getting the wife an XD9

ilkhan
04-28-2011, 10:48 AM
I went with the XD45 compact 4" myself. I found it amusing that the 45 carries an extra round if they aren't gimped, and if they are the 45 makes bigger holes.

As to the OP, without concealing there is little reason to buy a 3" model. More muzzle flip, harder to control, shorter sight radius. If you are, the tactical is just plain too big with the full sized grip. The 4" compact made a good compromise for me. But its only a 45ACP model (no compacts in 9mm/.40S&W). And personally I'd go 9mm instead of .40S&W (unless you already have 40s). Ammo is cheaper that way.

mif_slim
04-28-2011, 10:52 AM
OP, I guess another thing to concider is the draw, I know it doesn't do much but my tactical I have to come up 1" higher on my draw then my service which feels a little awkward hence why I shoot my service more. But, if it's just a range gun then that shouldn't matter.

zfields
04-28-2011, 12:23 PM
OP, I guess another thing to concider is the draw, I know it doesn't do much but my tactical I have to come up 1" higher on my draw then my service which feels a little awkward hence why I shoot my service more. But, if it's just a range gun then that shouldn't matter.

Or just get a holster with a 1 inch drop : )

Gryff
04-28-2011, 12:30 PM

It so doesn't make a difference once you get used to it. Besides, you still have to bring the gun up to eye level. Waiting 1" extra before you begin rotating the muzzle forward is a non-issue with even the slightest amount of practice.

Bigtime1
04-28-2011, 1:55 PM
I really enjoy shooting my XD40SC, but I love shooting my XD40Tac. Granted the Tact has a Springer trigger job, stainless guide rod, 20#spring, FO front site... The SC is pretty snappy, while extra bulk of the Tac soaks up some of the recoil.

Do what I did: Get BOTH!

mif_slim
04-28-2011, 1:58 PM
It so doesn't make a difference once you get used to it. Besides, you still have to bring the gun up to eye level. Waiting 1" extra before you begin rotating the muzzle forward is a non-issue with even the slightest amount of practice.

It is, but its my body movement that is hard for me to do so. My brother loves the tactical more because he's taller..
Kinda like a body-builder wont be able to reach over and scratch his neck because the bicep is in the way. He wants to, but cant.....Not saying Im buff, im just fat! LOL