PDA

View Full Version : Flip BUIS and front sights

pklin1297
11-19-2006, 6:24 PM
Hello all,

I am currently shopping for a set of flip-down BUIS (rear and front) for my first AR build; any recommendations? The price ranges are not too bad, but am just wondering the quality and range possibilities. The two makers I am mainly looking at are YHM and ARMS, and maybe a mix and match between the two. YHM being on the cheaper end, just wondering how they hold up comparitively... I will be mounting a scope for long range and a Eotech 512 for CQB classes, so probably won't be using the BUIS much, but it seems as though the AR just doesn't look right without it. :)

Please let me know what you have and/or what to get/not to get. Thanks.

P.S. The front flip down will be mounted on handguard... I am going for the hidden gas block look...

ohsmily
11-19-2006, 7:17 PM
Hello all,

I am currently shopping for a set of flip-down BUIS (rear and front) for my first AR build; any recommendations? The price ranges are not too bad, but am just wondering the quality and range possibilities. The two makers I am mainly looking at are YHM and ARMS, and maybe a mix and match between the two. YHM being on the cheaper end, just wondering how they hold up comparitively... I will be mounting a scope for long range and a Eotech 512 for CQB classes, so probably won't be using the BUIS much, but it seems as though the AR just doesn't look right without it. :)

P.S. The front flip down will be mounted on handguard... I am going for the hidden gas block look...

I have a YHM front flip up sight and a GG&G MAD rear sight. They are both high quality sights. Very durable. If you stick with quality manufacturers like the ones you named, just select based on the features you want and feel secure in the fact that they make great products.

damon1272
11-19-2006, 7:30 PM
I have both the front and rear flip up sights by YHM. Both units are of nice quality and have a good price. Keep an eye out as YHM has sales here and there. :D

proraptor
11-20-2006, 8:08 AM
I just ordered midwest industries front and rear flip up sights...They look really nice and Ive only seen people say good things about them.

Ive heard of the YHM's looening on ar15.com so I didnt get those.

m1371
11-20-2006, 8:21 AM
Hello all,

Big fan of the ARMS #40's for the rear. Not a big fan of non-fixed front sights, so no opinion there for you.

That said, at the moment I'm running a RRA Dominator mount w/ my EOTech over here. The fixed sights don't really bother me when using the optics and not having to manipulate the irons in order to employ them is a +1 for me. YMMV.

Whatever you go with, don't skimp out and get some no-name knock-offs. Remember, there's a difference between buying cheap and getting a good deal.

Check the arf.com EE in the "sights & optics section" and the "used" section. Be patient and you'll hit that good deal when you least expect it. I know I've had good luck several times in the past. :D

boosterboy
11-20-2006, 9:07 AM
i'm a big fan of the Troy Ind. folding front sight.

The sight tower is encompassed in a circular outline unlike the regular AR sight tower.

so when you line up your sights, your sight picture is comprised of two concentric circles.

http://static.flickr.com/95/278631021_485003ad43_b.jpg

mltrading
11-20-2006, 9:44 AM
YHM and ARMS are both excellent.

YHM offers:
1) forearm-mounted flip-up front sight
2) gas-block-mounted flip-up front sight
3) flip-up front sight/gas block combo.

If you choose to use (1) or (2), it's better to use YHM forearm and/or YHM railed gas block to get best match.

Personally, I do not like the look of YHM flip-up rear sights. But they are good in quality and cost effective.

As for ARMS #40, it's so excellent. They have #40L (L stands for Low-profile) and #40LSP (Lo-pro Same-Plane). Just choose whatever you like.

Happy building!!!:)

The Professional
11-20-2006, 10:22 AM
Troy BUIS.

bwiese
11-20-2006, 11:16 AM
Be aware that there *may* be some issues with sights designed to work with Colt uppers (and probably most sights are).

(This does not really apply to folks getting matched front/rear iron sights.)

IIRC, Colt flattop uppers have "F"-marked front sight bases that are 0.040" higher than regular A2 front sight bases, and the corresponding carry handles match. Bushmaster, in particular (as well as many bottom-feeder AR vendors) use regular A2 sight bases on 16" and shorter carbines.

In particular, Colt carry handles may have issues on other brands of rifles, and thus Colt-compatible rear sights might have these troubles too unless they have extended range of adjustment.

You might end up with a situation where you can't get a zero without some ridiculous situation where the front sight post has to be extended beyond the 'ears' of the front sight block. If you don't know your brand or what your front sight is, see if you can get a return arrangement such that if your gun can't zero with a new sight, you can get credit/refund.

pklin1297
11-20-2006, 11:19 AM
Thanks guys for all the great input!

I think I will most likely get an ARMS #40L for the rear and the YHM forearm mounted flip front sight. I too like the looks of the ARMS very much.

Have thought about the fixed rear and front option, but most of the A2 style fixed rear sights (LMT, RRA, etc.) just look too high for me.

Thanks again and please chime in if anyone has more input.

m1371
11-20-2006, 1:37 PM
Thanks guys for all the great input!

I think I will most likely get an ARMS #40L for the rear and the YHM forearm mounted flip front sight. I too like the looks of the ARMS very much.

Have thought about the fixed rear and front option, but most of the A2 style fixed rear sights (LMT, RRA, etc.) just look too high for me.

Thanks again and please chime in if anyone has more input.

FWIW, running a fixed front and scope combo shouldn't be an issue.

I know you've said you want to go with the hidden gas block look, but the front sight doesn't particularly obscure your sight picture through magnified optics. A lot of people think the front sight will block the view through your scope (???) but in reality you probably won't notice it.

Also, you do realize that there is no height difference between a standard fixed rear sight and a flip-up rear sight.

Just some things to think about..... :)

pklin1297
11-20-2006, 2:44 PM
Thank you M1371, I should clarify that I don't like the bulkiness of the fixed A2 style rear sights... :)

In that same regard, the flip sights will be less bulky and flatter than the fixed sights when down, in my mind anyway.