PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 10/22, Marlin 795, ATI GSG-5

Fish-n-Shoot
04-22-2011, 3:38 PM
So i was at Tahoe National Forest yesterday hanging out with my gf and brought a few of my guns along (10/22, marlin 795, gsg5, beretta 96), some targets, a few beers, and a blanket to hang out on. I just got the volquartsen hammer in the ruger and i polished all the internals myself and trigger pull is just smooth as silk and much much improved. Now let me start off by saying that i have about 800 invested into the 10/22 which includes stock and accessories and internals and scope and so on. The only thing i haven't bought yet is a new barrel. The ruger is NOT bedded, as i plan on switching the stock someday and i like to thoroughly take it apart and clean time to time, but i do have an adjustable vblock that does the trick. I have about 200 invested in the marlin which is the dragunov stock, scope, bipod and rifle itself. No mods. The ATI gsg5 is the only stock one because i love the looks as it and i want to keep one rifle with iron sights although i do have a holographic that i got for my ruger but decided to leave the scope so it might go on someday.

Ok, here's what led me to posting. I havent shot the marlin in about a year. I remember it being fairly accurate and ok, fun, a "pain" to load, but overall a great fun 22. So i started off shooting the ruger, enjoying the new hammer. Then my gf lays down next to me after shooting the gsg5, and gets behind the marlin and we shoot together at the same target. The target is set up 25-30 yds away(quite accurate at distances) and we shoot differnet rings on the target. I suddenly notice that her groups are easily at least twice as small as mine, usually all touching each other. So i had to try this. I set up new targets and started with the ruger. 10 shots, i got a 1 inch group. Then i did the marlin. 10 shots, i got just barely barely bigger than quarter inch group, and it was just one hole. I didn't believe it, so i did it again. Basically same results. Imagine how upset that made me that after 800 dollars the stock marlin still outshoots the ruger, not just by a little, but dam near 4 times better. Both rifles were shot from prone position, by me, a very steady shooter with good trigger control, both have bipods on, and zero wind. So what i have left is the barrel to upgrade on the 10/22, but i don't see how that can improve the accuracy as much as i need it to. Why the difference in accuracy, i don't get it.

Other than that, beer was great, the gsg5 fired 2 and sometimes 3 shots with only one trigger pull i'd say about 5 times during the whole day, and i put about 300 bullets through it. The gsg5 is new and only fired 100 shots through it before today so going to have to look into this. Might contact ATI. Weather was great, music was great, and i'm relaxed and ready to get back to work come monday. Got some pics for who's interested and God Bless.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff304/alexpanchenko15/04212011444.jpg
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff304/alexpanchenko15/04212011449.jpg
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff304/alexpanchenko15/04212011445.jpg

scorpionking
04-22-2011, 3:51 PM
One can add $1000 dollars worth of tactifool attachments to a Ruger 10/22, but at the end of the day, the Marlin 795 still has the micro-groove barrel. Pound for pound straight out of the factory, the Marlin is way more accurate than the 10/22.

Merc1138
04-22-2011, 3:54 PM
Umm, did you not notice the 1300+ post about how awesome the marlin is stock considering how cheap it is? It's not like it's 1300 posts of BS, heh. :p

Fish-n-Shoot
04-22-2011, 4:02 PM
That's why i went with the marlin as my first 22, but why such a difference. Thats what i want to know. What else other than the barrel is left to do to get the same results. And as to scorpionking, tactifool or not, useless as it is on a 22, funny as the idea is, i love my 1022 more than either the marlin or the gsg5 and i believe i always will :)

scorpionking
04-22-2011, 4:07 PM
That's why i went with the marlin as my first 22, but why such a difference. Thats what i want to know. What else other than the barrel is left to do to get the same results. And as to scorpionking, tactifool or not, useless as it is on a 22, funny as the idea is, i love my 1022 more than either the marlin or the gsg5 and i believe i always will :)

The Ruger 10/22 is the "Barbie Doll" of the rimfire rifle world. People buy them then like to dress it up with new clothes, new party shoes, new hair, new purse.

At the end of the day, Barbie still has the same size boobs though.

I think the Marlin's Micro Groove barrel really makes that much difference.
I also like the bolt hold open after last shot feature.

I have a Marlin 795, and its version with the heavy bull barrel, the Marlin 7000.
If you think the 795 is accurate, try firing one with a barrel that barely muzzle jumps.

I don't own a 10/22. But I do own a closet full of Barbie dolls.......

Merc1138
04-22-2011, 4:49 PM

The barrel and trigger, including a last shot hold open be default is also nice.

Fish-n-Shoot
04-22-2011, 8:25 PM
The last shot hold open has never worked consistently on my 795. Maybe 1 out of 10 times, if that. I always thought it was more by accident than design :) barrel will be changed i guess but how much does that actually affect accuracy? Hard to put that question but i guess how much better does it shoot with an upgraded barrel, if thats something that could be explained. And as far as trigger, i have about a 2.5 pound pull right now. Will doing more actually be worth it? I don't see accuracy wise how much it'll help, but i'm not so knowledgable that i'm above asking questions :) thanks.

Merc1138
04-22-2011, 9:12 PM
Take the receiver out of the stock, get some rem oil(or something similar) and some compressed air and flush out the area underneath the bar that operates the bolt catch.

I'm not sure what you mean by changing the barrel... you mean changing the barrel on the 10/22, or the 795?

Fish-n-Shoot
04-22-2011, 9:53 PM
Take the receiver out of the stock, get some rem oil(or something similar) and some compressed air and flush out the area underneath the bar that operates the bolt catch.

I'm not sure what you mean by changing the barrel... you mean changing the barrel on the 10/22, or the 795?

Hmm thanks for that tip i'll try that tomorrow. And barrel on 1022

ironhiide
04-23-2011, 12:05 AM
What did you buy for the 10/22 that adds up to $800 and doesnt include a barrel? I think I spent close to $600 total on my barbie doll, basically a plain-jane 10/22, clark custom barrel, volquartsen hammer, tuffer buffer, hogue stock, shooters' ridge bipod and a $50 3-9x walmart Bushnell scope. It shoots dime/nickel sized groups at 50yards with 40gr RN Mini-mags without trying.

CalNRA
04-23-2011, 3:16 AM
did anyone else read the last paragraph in the OP?

USMC VET
04-23-2011, 8:03 AM
What kind of gsg is that? Ive seen the ones with the flat top but never knew what kind they are.

XYZ
04-23-2011, 9:21 AM
the gsg5 fired 2 and sometimes 3 shots with only one trigger pull i'd say about 5 times during the whole day, and i put about 300 bullets through it.

You may want to have that checked out.

Fish-n-Shoot
04-23-2011, 12:57 PM
What kind of gsg is that? Ive seen the ones with the flat top but never knew what kind they are.

I'm not too sure. GSG-522 is all i know. Got it at sportsmans about 2 months ago. Didn't know there were different types.

As far as checking it out, i'm going to take it apart and look at the internals, all i did after buying it was run a boresnake through and go shoot. There might be grease or whatnot inside, so i'll clean it out and see if that helps. As much as i'd like a burst-fire gsg, not willing to get into trouble for it :) after cleaning if problem persists i'll contact ati.

And on the 1022, don't wanna start pulling receipts, but everything including the hammer, springs, extractor, stock, scope, rings, tacticool/tactifool:rolleyes: attachments was over 700 for sure and i believe closer to 800 with just keeping in mind what i'm spending as time goes by. Its an estimation.

afcbasser
04-23-2011, 1:52 PM
"So what i have left is the barrel to upgrade on the 10/22, but i don't see how that can improve the accuracy as much as i need it to. Why the difference in accuracy, i don't get it.
Thats what i want to know. What else other than the barrel is left to do to get the same results."

it really sounds like you're underestimating the barrel's importance on accuracy. It's really the only thing that'll make a difference in the flight of the bullet. Seems like if accuracy was the concern, you'd work on the barrel first....unless the trigger was notably crappy and rough feeling...then you fix that first [gotta be able to keep that gun still].

Fish-n-Shoot
04-23-2011, 1:58 PM
Trigger was terrible, but i actually ordered a barrel from the getgo, then there was a problem with the company i ordered from, and never got it. Then i started exploring other options, and after that i ran into some money troubles after work went downhill so never got around to it. I've only had the 1022 since january. Now looking into it again and still not sure which barrel to go with. Will be ordering soon and then we'll see i guess.

ojisan
04-23-2011, 2:10 PM
Ammo, ammo, ammo.
Every .22 barrel has its own preferences.
If you are sure your stock, action and scope are all secure, you really need to try different ammo.

I have a saved target here somewhere...a 1/4" 5 shot group at 25 yards with a 10/22 in a folder stock / stock 18" tapered barrel / 4x cheapo scope off an improvised rest.
The ammo was budget bulk Winchester Wildcat.

Bolting on a bull barrel without finding ammo it likes may not improve accuracy at all.

Fish-n-Shoot
04-23-2011, 2:38 PM
Oh i've tried all the different ammo. Federals, winchester, remington, stingers, federal auto match, blazer, cci, and some others i can't remember. stingers group almost as good as the marlin, but its unrealistic to only shoot expensive stingers. 2nd place is federal, and that's the grouping i'm talking about. By the way, the federal auto match in all my 22 rifles is a huge disappointment. Shoots worse than any of the bulk stuff, even remington. Waste of money

dangerranger
04-23-2011, 2:47 PM
Nemo on RFC redoes stock barrels for about half of the cost of a "Good" after market barrel. and they will shoot comparably. Ive had good luck with Green Mountain Barrels. as far as the marlin goes , with just a trigger upgrade they will hold there own anywere. I have nine mod 60s. for out of the box rifles they are hard to beat.
the one thing I like to change on the 60s is the stock. Ive put Boyds T holes on 4 of them now. the factory stocks just feel tiny in my hands.

heres a few of them.

http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p345/dangerranger60/IMG_1091.jpg

http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p345/dangerranger60/IMG_21961.jpg