PDA

View Full Version : My new Romanian CUR2 AK74 with my second NONE-HOLE stock.

69Mach1
11-19-2006, 7:10 PM
I just finished my second stock for a Romanian CUR2 AK74 in 5.45x39. Filled it in like before. The CUR2 is a 100% imported Romanian rifle in "sporting" trim with no pistol grip or flash hider. Therefore it has no U.S. parts. The quality is excellent, with no visible cant in the front sight, nice wood, and the trigger has a two stage feel to it. I can finally use my preban mags. Many thanks to Cold War Shooters and especially 1hotshooter, who is now an AK disassembly expert.;)

69Mach1
11-19-2006, 7:11 PM
More pics.

.223 - 5.45x39 - 7.62x39

NeoWeird
11-19-2006, 7:12 PM
Is it me or is the charging handle canted on your rifle? It looks almost rewelded on. Never seen one like that.

Also, what's it say on the opposite side of 'C.U.R.2 5.45x39'?

Nice looking rifle by the way.

69Mach1
11-19-2006, 7:27 PM
Is it me or is the charging handle canted on your rifle? It looks almost rewelded on. Never seen one like that.

Also, what's it say on the opposite side of 'C.U.R.2 5.45x39'?

Nice looking rifle by the way.

Thanks. Yes you're correct about the charging handle. It's standard on all Romanian AK74's, and possibly on other countries AK74's. It's at a 45 degree angle. The other side says:
INTRAC ARMS, KNOX TN
RATMIL, MADE IN ROMANIA

whatever
11-19-2006, 8:01 PM
Many units train to use the charging handle with your left hand only. You reach over the top of the rifle to charge it while keeping your right hand gripping the pistol grip.

Some use the technique of reaching under the rifle with the back of the hand facing the receiver and puliing it back that way too.

Q
11-20-2006, 1:19 AM
cool. i like it. that is an interestin charging handle. looks mint.

NeoWeird
11-20-2006, 2:00 AM
Many units train to use the charging handle with your left hand only. You reach over the top of the rifle to charge it while keeping your right hand gripping the pistol grip.

Some use the technique of reaching under the rifle with the back of the hand facing the receiver and puliing it back that way too.

Which makes you wonder why no one thought of cutting a shallow step on the OTHER side of the dust cover and just putting the charging handle on the other side to make it easier. I mean, it's not like it would make installation more difficult...

pacificcoast
11-20-2006, 3:43 AM
Which makes you wonder why no one thought of cutting a shallow step on the OTHER side of the dust cover and just putting the charging handle on the other side to make it easier. I mean, it's not like it would make installation more difficult...

maybe because your nose/face is on that side?!? :confused: :confused: :confused:

a charging handle at 2,000 mph to the nose sucks, so does gasses and unburnt powder that would escape out!!

NeoWeird
11-20-2006, 4:26 AM
maybe because your nose/face is on that side?!? :confused: :confused: :confused:

a charging handle at 2,000 mph to the nose sucks, so does gasses and unburnt powder that would escape out!!

I don't know about the rest of you, but my face is a couple inches behind the rear trunion, and I would have to have my face all up on the dust cover to get hit by the charging handle, and with the ejection port on the side it is now, little, if any, gases would escape out of the small opening that would allow just the bolt handle to pass.

JPglee1
11-20-2006, 6:04 AM
I don't know about the rest of you, but my face is a couple inches behind the rear trunion, and I would have to have my face all up on the dust cover to get hit by the charging handle, and with the ejection port on the side it is now, little, if any, gases would escape out of the small opening that would allow just the bolt handle to pass.

I can't find the picture right now, but someone on Gunsnet has a drum fed 9mm AK conversion with a left hand charging handle... Its pretty slick and easy to do if you got the skillz/tools.

JP

JPglee1
11-20-2006, 6:10 AM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b379/azhonkey/100_0742Medium.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b379/azhonkey/100_0657Medium.jpg

If *we* can think of it (as humans) its prolly already been done before, soemwhere else at sometime.

JP

WokMaster1
11-20-2006, 8:05 AM
Mach, how much & where from? details please.:D

grammaton76
11-20-2006, 3:49 PM
I would be concerned about that second hole way down at the bottom of the stock. If DOJ wants to be sticky, they could always say it's a hole that your thumb could be inserted into... (I don't think it says anything about WHICH thumb)

the_foxtrot
11-20-2006, 5:21 PM
very nice, how much did it set you back?

Cypriss32
11-20-2006, 5:27 PM
sweet....i think i might have a new project to look forward to!

Bladewurk
11-20-2006, 6:10 PM
Where did you find this CUR-2? I haven't seen these anywhere....Very nice but I'd fill it all the way in as Gramm suggested.;)

69Mach1
11-20-2006, 8:14 PM
Mach, how much & where from? details please.:D

I won it on Gunbroker. It was $320 to the seller, then $$ to CWS to take apart and ship it to my favorite Riverside FFL. Romanian AK's in all three calibers are some of the best values going. Even cheaper are their WASR10 AK's that only accept 7.62x39 single stack magazines.

I chose the CUR2 because of the standard thumbhole stock and because I heard it was of higher quality than the WASR2.

69Mach1
11-20-2006, 8:16 PM
I would be concerned about that second hole way down at the bottom of the stock. If DOJ wants to be sticky, they could always say it's a hole that your thumb could be inserted into... (I don't think it says anything about WHICH thumb)

Grammaton, the DOJ has clearly defined a thumbhole stock. Not my fault they were very specific.:D
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/awguide.pdf

Stock, Thumbhole- A stock with a hole that allows the thumb of the trigger hand to penetrate into or through the stock while firing.

69Mach1
11-21-2006, 7:47 PM

If *we* can think of it (as humans) its prolly already been done before, soemwhere else at sometime.

JP

JPglee1, I can't find any info on the 9mm AK builds. Could you please post the link? A 9mm AK rifle using those magazines (10 rd limit) would be awesome. Thanks.

ybz
11-21-2006, 8:56 PM
'similar' toy with a right hand charging handle... i guess there's no way to tell:confused: ...

JP

JPglee1
11-21-2006, 8:57 PM
'similar' toy with a right hand charging handle... i guess there's no way to tell:confused: ...

The pic is reversed...reference the ejection port.

Ill send links to 9mm AKs later. Go check out gunco.net and gunsnet.net in the BIY II forum

J

ybz
11-21-2006, 9:10 PM
reference the ejection port.

J

good point.