PDA

View Full Version : Buying a pistol in CA while temporarily in AZ

bluzman
04-22-2011, 4:17 PM
A friend (CA resident) just acquired a new pistol and wants to sell another pistol to offset some of the cost of the new one. I'm also a CA resident but I spend some of my time in AZ which is where I currently am (and will be for several more weeks). I want to buy the pistol he wants to sell. Is there a legal way to do this without me physically going back to CA or do we have to wait until I get back to do this deal? :confused::confused:

Josh3239
04-22-2011, 4:20 PM
Nope. With few exeptions you can only buy handguns in the state you are a resident of.

morrcarr67
04-22-2011, 5:11 PM
Nope. With few exeptions you can only buy handguns in the state you are a resident of.

He is a resident of California. He just isn't here at the moment.

A friend (CA resident) just acquired a new pistol and wants to sell another pistol to offset some of the cost of the new one. I'm also a CA resident but I spend some of my time in AZ which is where I currently am (and will be for several more weeks). I want to buy the pistol he wants to sell. Is there a legal way to do this without me physically going back to CA or do we have to wait until I get back to do this deal? :confused::confused:

To answer your question.

If your friend is hard up for the money and you trust him you could send him a check for the gun. You CAN NOT TAKE POSSESSION of it until you return to California and do a PPT at a LGS.

Josh3239
04-22-2011, 5:21 PM
I am not disputing any of that. He cannot buy it until he does a legal transfer in the state he is a resident of which is California, so obviously he has to physically be in California.

The answer above, my original answer, and your answer all the say the same thing. :rolleyes:

He is a resident of California. He just isn't here at the moment.

bluzman
04-23-2011, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the feedback. You are correct, of course...I have to be in CA with the seller and the FFL to do this. My confusion arose because the FFL had assumed from his conversation with my friend that I was an AZ resident and described a the procedure to him based on that. It didn't sound right to me and that's why I posted my question. Eventually I called the the FFL myself and told him I'm a CA resident. He then described the procedure that applies to a PPT between CA residents which was what you guys have said. Again, thanks for the responses. I'll just have to wait a few weeks before we can do the PPT.

Trendkill
04-23-2011, 2:20 PM
What gun is it..?