PDA

View Full Version : Yeah.. so.. short question..

CrossedRifles
04-22-2011, 2:33 PM
I was attempting a field strip for a first time with my new Sig Sauer P226.

Obviously I had no idea what I was doing but somehow managed to clean and lube and put it back together. Functions check passed. The thing is, when I lock my slide back, and shake the gun, I can hear a clanking, and I realized it's from the barrel as it moves slightly. I couldn't remember whether it was doing this prior to the field strip or not. Is this normal?

Yeah, yeah skew me alive, but I'm just trying to learn here. :rolleyes:

InGrAM
04-22-2011, 2:35 PM
You should ALWAYS read the manual before you play with your gun ;)

kTC xDEICIDEx
04-22-2011, 2:38 PM
YouTube is your friend. Lots of videos out there. 

himurax13
04-22-2011, 2:40 PM
Well here is a short answer ...

No.

Here is where you can find the answer ;).

http://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/CmsContent/documents/1201073%20OPERATORS%20MANUAL%20220%20226%20229%202 39%20REV%2001%20LR.pdf

Pay close attention to Pages 34 thru 36.

CrossedRifles
04-22-2011, 2:41 PM
Manuals are for chumps. :rolleyes:

Just kidding.

To all the replies :

I did read all of it before, followed every last bit of instruction that was given on there. It gives a vague description on where parts should go, so that's why I felt like I had no idea what I was doing. I even watched a video on YouTube showing the field strip process and it should've been all right. So is this barrel thing as it's supposed to be?

InGrAM
04-22-2011, 2:44 PM

Just kidding.

I did read all of it before, followed every last bit of instruction that was given on there. It gives a vague description on where parts should go, so that's why I felt like I had no idea what I was doing. I even watched a video on YouTube showing the field strip process and it should've been all right. So is this barrel thing as it's supposed to be?

I do not personally own a sig p22X. But my brother owns a p239 and the barrel raddles when the slide is open. (the barrel is not locked in place, so it moves) I think your fine.

and I was just giving you a hard time, manuals are for chumps ;) lol

himurax13
04-22-2011, 2:47 PM

Just kidding.

To all the replies :

Manuals are also for people who ask short questions ;).

So are you unclear about dissassembly or reassembly? What do you mean by vague? The barrel can only go in one way. Perhaps you didn't line up the guide rod properly to the bottom of the barrel when you put it back together? You did turn the slide stop back to normal right?

M. D. Van Norman
04-22-2011, 2:53 PM
If it rattles, take it to battles. ;)

CrossedRifles
04-22-2011, 3:04 PM
Yeah I did assembly as instructed. Everything's how it should be assembled.

flatovercrest
04-22-2011, 3:08 PM
YouTube is your friend. Lots of videos out there. 

this /\

Cnynrat
04-22-2011, 3:10 PM
Nice gun. :D

Just checked my P226, and yes, the barrel rattles a bit when the slide is pulled back. You are good to go.

Dark Mod
04-22-2011, 3:15 PM
Dude its fine its supposed to be like that. And for the record, i definatley dont read through manuals if its simple operation

himurax13
04-22-2011, 3:28 PM
Nice gun. :D

Just checked my P226, and yes, the barrel rattles a bit when the slide is pulled back. You are good to go.

Yup, my P228 does it as well. Hmm, I never thought to shake it while in slide lock before. Why would you do that anyways? :confused:

DannyZRC
04-22-2011, 3:49 PM
the barrel is only "locked up" when the barrel hood is snugged into the ejection port, and the slide snugs around the muzzle.

just about every (tilting barrel) pistol has a mobile barrel when the slide is out of battery, some are just noisier due to variations on how springs are captured, barrel motion is accomplished, etc.

psango
04-22-2011, 4:16 PM
the barrel is only "locked up" when the barrel hood is snugged into the ejection port, and the slide snugs around the muzzle.

just about every (tilting barrel) pistol has a mobile barrel when the slide is out of battery, some are just noisier due to variations on how springs are captured, barrel motion is accomplished, etc.

wins best answer +1

CALI SHOT DOC
04-22-2011, 4:22 PM
youtube is great for help and if you think something is wrong, then field strip it again and reassemble it.

I don't own a sig 226 but have shot plenty of them and believe when the slide is locked back that the barrel will move a little.

Most of your guns are like this as the barrel is not permanently locked into place