PDA

View Full Version : All this talk about thumbholes...

Tzvia
11-19-2006, 5:24 PM
All this talk about thumbholes after I bought an A1 Vltor stock for a Monsterman grip build. It's got more holes than swiss cheese. Most are too small to even be thought of as thumbholes, but there was one rectangular hole, and a sling swivel point too close for comfort. So I put the sling swivel stud in the one hole, and the other I filled with epoxy for a 'quick fix' until I can come up with something better, (probably a cut to size plastic plug held with epoxy). For now, the holes are closed.

http://home.earthlink.net/~zahava.s/images/thumbhole.jpg

While it's madness to think these holes are thumbholes, technically my thumb could reach it although it was very uncomfortable and I could not grasp the grip that way. And the 'hole' in front of the swivel is the space between the monsterman and the stock so it's not a thumbhole and it's too small to allow a pistol style grasp.

I guess the point here is to think 'beyond the box' and be extra safe.

NeoWeird
11-19-2006, 5:42 PM
I think everyone is being extra EXTRA crazy with the whole "thumbhole" thing, but if it makes you feel at ease then I say go for it. I personally wouldn't do stuff like this, but then again it probably is better to be safe than sorry.

Now let's just hope it doesn't leave a mark (like being darker from less sun exposure or something).