PDA

View Full Version : Interfamily transfer: Special Case?

Bigbird19
04-22-2011, 11:58 AM
My father passed away when I was very young and I was adopted by a family friend. My question is, are there any extra steps to do an interfamily transfer? I am 19 so I know I am eligible for a handgun in CA. I feel the biggest problem would be the mis-matching last names and that might raise an eyebrow. What sort of paperwork would we need to show?

smittty
04-22-2011, 12:05 PM
My father passed away when I was very young and I was adopted by a family friend. My question is, are there any extra steps to do an interfamily transfer? I am 19 so I know I am eligible for a handgun in CA. I feel the biggest problem would be the mis-matching last names and that might raise an eyebrow. What sort of paperwork would we need to show?

If you were legally adopted the names don't need to match up. You're good to go.

Bigbird19
04-22-2011, 12:08 PM
So how exactly does the interfamily transfer work then, paperwork wise and everything.

Mssr. Eleganté
04-22-2011, 12:30 PM
So how exactly does the interfamily transfer work then, paperwork wise and everything.

First you need to get a Handgun Safety Certificate by going into a gun shop, taking the HSC test and paying $25. Some dealers won't give the test to people under the age of 21, either because they are ignorant of the law or because they don't want to waste time helping somebody who can't buy a handgun from them.

Next, your father gives you the handgun. (You and he must both be residents of California for this to be legal on a Federal level). At this point the handgun is legally yours.

Finally, you have 30 days to report your acquisition of the handgun to CalDOJ. You report it by mailing in this form along with $19 payment...

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf

And just to clarify, this is an inTRAfamily transfer and not an inTERfamily transfer.

rgs1975
04-22-2011, 1:01 PM
(You and he must both be residents of California for this to be legal on a Federal level)Not true. Intrafamiliar handgun transfers from an out of state father to a CA resident son are ok. The father must have his out of state FFL ship the gun to your CA FFL for the DROS. There is a checkbox on the DROS for the CA FFL to identify the firearm as an intrafamiliar transfer and exempt from the CA DOJ approved handgun roster. Once the DROS is begun you wait your 10 days and pick up the gun. Done.

Mssr. Eleganté
04-22-2011, 1:05 PM
Not true. Intrafamiliar handgun transfers from an out of state father to a CA resident son are ok...

Sorry, but it's 100% true. I was answering the OP's post specifically. The info you posted about receiving a handgun from an out of state parent is worthless to the OP since he is not old enough to take possession of a handgun through an FFL.

Librarian
04-22-2011, 1:05 PM
Not true. Intrafamiliar handgun transfers from an out of state father to a CA resident son are ok. The father must have his out of state FFL ship the gun to your CA FFL for the DROS. There is a checkbox on the DROS for the CA FFL to identify the firearm as an intrafamiliar transfer and exempt from the CA DOJ approved handgun roster. Once the DROS is begun you wait your 10 days and pick up the gun. Done.

He said "Next, your father gives you the handgun" - that would be illegal for interstate; the context was for 2 California residents.

But yes, your statement is correct if the situation were to be interstate.

rgs1975
04-22-2011, 1:07 PM
I made that post because other people read these threads or information and with the generic thread title it will draw in folks that aren't in the OP's exact situation. It's good info to put out there that may come in handy for someone, sometime. That's all.

Mssr. Eleganté
04-22-2011, 1:12 PM
I made that post because other people read these threads or information and with the generic thread title it will draw in folks that aren't in the OP's exact situation. It's good info to put out there that may come in handy for someone, sometime. That's all.

So you answered the OP's question incorrectly, told somebody who answered it correctly that his post was "not true", all in hopes that it would help somebody else at a future date who has a different question. Got it.:thumbsup:

rgs1975
04-22-2011, 1:24 PM
Got it.:thumbsup:

Good. ;)