PDA

View Full Version : Another retailer who won't ship ammo -- SAMCO

Wernher von Browning
04-22-2011, 10:55 AM
A few weeks ago there was a thread re some retailers not shipping ammo to some counties, for no discernible reason. It seems to be some kind of viral FUD among retailers.

Just sent the following to Samco. We'll see what they say.

==================

Hi, I see that you don't ship ammunition to Orange County, CA.

Can you point to a specific reason for that, or is this a bad rumor that's been spread to some retailers? Because I routinely receive ammo from Midway and Graf's, and a number of other major suppliers have no problem shipping to Orange County as well as most (not all) other areas of California.

The threatened ban on mail order handgun ammunition was shot down by a judge in January, but that's a separate issue. We're talking rifle ammunition here.

I have called the Orange County district attorney's office, who "knew nothing." They referred me to my local police department. I walked into the Costa Mesa PD and asked about a mail order ammo ban, and the older, plainclothes officer behind the desk said "I handle all the gun issues for the department, and that's the first I've ever heard such a thing."

Looking at the official BATF document at
http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-5/atf-p-5300-5.pdf
(Revised December 2009, the most recent available edition).

Oakland has restrictions. Sacramento has restrictions. San Francisco has restrictions and there's probably a few I've missed. But Orange County most definitely does not -- searching the entire document for "Orange" results only in hits for the signal color, not the county.

Given your selection and attractive prices, I would really like to order a number of items from you, not just ammunition, and I have friends in the same boat, but we feel it would be disingenuous to order other stuff if we are unjustifiably being locked out of ammunition purchases.

CHS
04-22-2011, 2:33 PM
I've been seeing more and more listings for "no ammunition sales to Orange County" and I have no idea why either.

It would be REALLY nice to see where this comes from.

CSACANNONEER
04-22-2011, 2:36 PM
Maybe Orange County, NEW YORK has some kind of ban on shipping ammo??????

odysseus
04-22-2011, 2:39 PM
I've been seeing more and more listings for "no ammunition sales to Orange County" and I have no idea why either.

It would be REALLY nice to see where this comes from.

We had a thread on this the other month or so, and it has come up before. No one really understands what is going on with some of these companies and where they are getting these erroneous ideas. A lot of speculation but no clarity.

CHS
04-22-2011, 2:45 PM
Maybe Orange County, NEW YORK has some kind of ban on shipping ammo??????

Actually, that's something we should look into. Maybe a lot of these places use the same council and something got screwed up, then all the smaller sellers just copy and paste from the big boys?

Army
04-22-2011, 3:15 PM
There's and Orange County in New Jersey too. No doubt there's one in Florida :)

Wernher von Browning
04-22-2011, 5:21 PM
There's and Orange County in New Jersey too. No doubt there's one in Florida :)

It gets worse. (No New Joisey, dough. But there is a City of Orange, Essex County, NJ.)

Orange County is the name of several counties in the United States of America:

* Orange County, California
* Orange County, Florida
* Orange County, Indiana
* Orange County, New York
* Orange County, North Carolina
* Orange County, Texas
* Orange County, Vermont
* Orange County, Virginia

But what's really scary:

* Orange County, China, American-style suburb near Beijing, China

Say... that may explain a lot...

bodger
04-22-2011, 5:24 PM
But what's really scary:

* Orange County, China, American-style suburb near Beijing, China

Say... that may explain a lot...

That's probably where all the ammo is manufactured these days. :D

Wernher von Browning
04-22-2011, 5:24 PM
Actually, that's something we should look into. Maybe a lot of these places use the same council and something got screwed up, then all the smaller sellers just copy and paste from the big boys?

Well, I got the impression somebody was going to look into it on that earlier thread, but that fizzled out and I don't suppose any lookin' got done...

What needs to be done is have some of our legal eagles draft a nice note and send it to all the miscreant vendors. (It's that, or re-education camps...)

Yankee Clipper
04-22-2011, 6:53 PM
Unless they reply favorably to your email enquiry, maybe it would be appropriate to 'black list' Samco by sending a request to all CA - FFL dealers (and Samco) they not do business with Samco. If Samco sets up their own arbitrary rules for doing business with the residents in one CA county, we should all stick together and avoid these inappropriate interstate business practices.
Hopefully we wouldn't have to go that far as I believe that someone in their organization was grossly misinformed.

67Roadster
04-23-2011, 6:47 AM
aimsurplus.com denied Orange County, Ca a few years back from buying ammo but they changed it since there is no law against it.

Wernher von Browning
04-23-2011, 7:02 AM
I think we should have a list of who will and won't, and where, as a sticky. Moderators? Other names to add to the list?