PDA

View Full Version : installing new sights. How to align?

tools2teach
04-22-2011, 10:23 AM
i want to install new sights on my P226. I have a sight pusher, but what is your method of aligning sights.

Do you eye ball it and how much of a difference does it make if you like a .01 of mill off?

NewbieDave
04-22-2011, 11:38 AM
I eyeball it... sometimes I used a dial caliper, but eyeball is best. You'll know when you hit the range, take the pusher with you.

iareConfusE
04-22-2011, 12:02 PM
Yeap last time I installed the Apex DCAEK kit on my M&P9 I reinstalled the rear sight by eyeballing it with a mallet/punch. I didn't even use a sight pusher, all fine adjustments were made with that mallet and punch, hahaha.

himurax13
04-22-2011, 12:04 PM
Installing the front sight is a huge pain in the butt to install by eyeballing since the dovetail milling isn't exactly even. I would use some dial calipers from the outside of the slide to the side of the front sight and even it up. The rear sights should be adjusted to zero in the pistol.

sigfan91
04-22-2011, 12:18 PM
I eyeball it. I have done that on 2 Sigs so far and they are still more accurate than the shooter...:o

IllTemperedCur
04-22-2011, 1:04 PM
When I changed out my stock BHP sights for night sights, I just made pencil marks to note the position of the front sight and rear notch. That got me pretty close, from there, adjustments were easy.