PDA

View Full Version : Mexican Gun laws...

sfpcservice
04-22-2011, 8:43 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Mexico

It's an interesting read. I'm sure the various anti-groups that say they are for "reasonable" gun control would think this is a good place to start. It's scary that we are only one supreme court justice away from going down this road.

CalBear
04-22-2011, 9:10 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Mexico

It's an interesting read. I'm sure the various anti-groups that say they are for "reasonable" gun control would think this is a good place to start. It's scary that we are only one supreme court justice away from going down this road.
And then we'll amend the Constitution.

People who think gun control works should look at Mexico and the negative effects it has had in the UK. It doesn't do squat to lower violent crime, and probably raises it in most cases.

Bigtime1
04-22-2011, 11:01 AM
Heh, is it really THAT different in Mexico?

"CCW licenses are issued but are hard to obtain for anyone not wealthy and without political connections."

sfpcservice
04-22-2011, 11:37 AM
Heh, is it really THAT different in Mexico?

"CCW licenses are issued but are hard to obtain for anyone not wealthy and without political connections."

I think a Mexican CCW is easily obtained for about $200 at the time of arrest.

Bigtime1
04-22-2011, 11:51 AM

Cash only, Senor!

Keala
04-23-2011, 11:23 AM
And then we'll amend the Constitution.

People who think gun control works should look at Mexico and the negative effects it has had in the UK. It doesn't do squat to lower violent crime, and probably raises it in most cases.

I think you are confusing laws with enforcement. They are two totally different things. Just like there is a law against kidnapping in mexico, there is a law against guns. I am not saying I am against guns...I think those poor people in mexico should really have them to protect themselves!!!

The sad part is that Mexico seems like it is totally lawless, so what laws they have doesn't really seem to matter. So if their people feel they shouldn't have guns, then that is their right and they should be mad that there is no enforcement. Like we all say here...don't make more laws...just enforce the existing ones. You can't say the law is bad, just because police do not/can not enforce it. Sad :(

CCWFacts
04-23-2011, 11:54 AM

They have variable pricing depending on who it is. Mexican connected to the drug trade? Maybe it's free CCW. Ordinary Mexican afraid of the drug trade? Probably more expensive. American tourist with an empty shell left in a bag? Very very expensive CCW!!

N6ATF
04-23-2011, 11:59 AM
I think you are confusing laws with enforcement. They are two totally different things. Just like there is a law against kidnapping in mexico, there is a law against guns. I am not saying I am against guns...I think those poor people in mexico should really have them to protect themselves!!!

The sad part is that Mexico seems like it is totally lawless, so what laws they have doesn't really seem to matter. So if their people feel they shouldn't have guns, then that is their right and they should be mad that there is no enforcement. Like we all say here...don't make more laws...just enforce the existing ones. You can't say the law is bad, just because police do not/can not enforce it. Sad :(

When a law is disproportionally enforced against people who want to do no evil and save innocent lives (theirs, their family's), it's a bad law.

Keala
04-23-2011, 12:05 PM
When a law is disproportionally enforced against people who want to do no evil and save innocent lives (theirs, their family's), it's a bad law.

Then you can say the same thing against drinking and driving laws here in America. There are so many dui accidents by people who are repeat offenders but I would say that I am mad about enforcement and light punishment and not that there is a problem with the law.

Also, the sad truth is that most of the people in Mexico cannot afford to own a gun, so unless we are arming those poor people, it will just mean more guns for the rich who are not living in the war zones and have so much less to worry about anyway.

Jack L
04-23-2011, 12:12 PM
They have variable pricing depending on who it is. Mexican connected to the drug trade? Maybe it's free CCW. Ordinary Mexican afraid of the drug trade? Probably more expensive. American tourist with an empty shell left in a bag? Very very expensive CCW!!

Mexican cartel members and criminal pistoleros say; "We don't need no stinking laws".

N6ATF
04-23-2011, 12:31 PM
Then you can say the same thing against drinking and driving laws here in America. There are so many dui accidents by people who are repeat offenders but I would say that I am mad about enforcement and light punishment and not that there is a problem with the law.

Not sure how that compares. DUI enforcement against people who have actually been DUI is pretty uniform, considering the rules of evidence. The DUI checkpoints are not really intended to incarcerate totally sober, law-abiding people who just want to protect life.

Also, the sad truth is that most of the people in Mexico cannot afford to own a gun, so unless we are arming those poor people, it will just mean more guns for the rich who are not living in the war zones and have so much less to worry about anyway.

The U.S. is technically an ally of Mexico, so it is unlikely our government would arm/allow the arming of anybody who really needed/couldn't afford to defend themselves in violation of Mexican law. Criminals, on the other hand... (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31727_162-20053961-10391695.html)