PDA

View Full Version : SA Range officer 1911

baliw619
04-22-2011, 2:46 AM
Is the new SA range officer 1911 available or legal in california? If it is anyone have any experience or reviews about it from personal experience? Im currently deployed but going to be coming home soon an was thinking about picking one up to add to my 1911 collection if its available also pricing? I kept finding people on google search sayin its anywhere from 750-950?

Bulleh
04-22-2011, 2:54 AM
First off, thank you for your service.

But unfortunately I do not think it is or ever will be on the roster. As far as I know CA is not accepting anymore 1911s to the roster so your only way of getting it is through single shot exemption.

baliw619
04-22-2011, 8:13 AM
well that sucks then i guess ima search for something else when i return.

Andy Taylor
04-22-2011, 8:22 AM
PRK or Valkerie, among others, should be able to get you one through the single shot exemption.

bartt
04-22-2011, 8:26 AM
Again, Thank you for your service.
Perhaps a Loaded target model would be close?
Stay Safe!

Moto4Fun
04-22-2011, 11:34 AM
Please don't let the roster discourage you. There are ways to get what want. The roster is almost obsolete! Use the single shot method to get more of these non-roster guns to CA.

sneather
04-22-2011, 1:08 PM
Please don't let the roster discourage you. There are ways to get what want. The roster is almost obsolete! Use the single shot method to get more of these non-roster guns to CA.

Could you elaborate on just how the roster is "almost obsolete"? Seems to me whenever I go into any local gun stores, it's very much relevant and invasive.

I've read some of the stickies, here, regarding "single shot" but to be completely honest, I don't entirely get the actual process.

Andy Taylor
04-22-2011, 1:20 PM
Could you elaborate on just how the roster is "almost obsolete"? Seems to me whenever I go into any local gun stores, it's very much relevant and invasive.

I've read some of the stickies, here, regarding "single shot" but to be completely honest, I don't entirely get the actual process.

Single shot pistols that have a certain length (forget what it is right now, someone will remember it) are exempt from the roster. It is not illegal to convert a legally aquired single shot into a semi-auto, once you own it.

The conversion to single shot must either be performed before the pistols enter CA, or be done by an 07FFL here in CA.

So you go to your 07FFL, order your off-roster pistol. They recieve the pistol, They install a "sled" in the magwell and lock it in place. They then install a longer barrel, if needed, to satisfy the length requirement. They then DROS the gun to you. They give you the original barrel, mag and any other parts they had to replace. At the end of 10 days, you pick up your single shot pistol, remove the barrel, "sled" and lock. You then replace with the original parts. You now have the gun you wanted in a completely legal transaction.

And thank you for your service.

sneather
04-22-2011, 1:51 PM
Thank you, Andy. Excellent explanation.

The main sticky I found here seemed to indicate that the most common application was (not surprisingly) for 1911 framed pistols. Is there another popular thread that I'm missing, which lists the other popular weapons people are "working around" the roster? There must be many more options than just 1911 models, being that the post I replied to indicated an "obsolescence" to the roster.

IPSICK
04-22-2011, 3:53 PM
Are you coming directly back into CA? Or into another state first? I'm not sure about this but if you are coming into another state first you may be able buy there before coming into CA.

Anyone else know better?

CALI SHOT DOC
04-22-2011, 4:19 PM
I was at cabella's yesterday in Reno and wasn't a fan of it. I thought i was going to love it but the trigger is horrible for a 1911. There is so much "play" with the trigger and pretravel before it breaks. Not as crisp a trigger as i'd expect on this gun. If i bought it, the first thing i would do is a trigger job

railroader
04-22-2011, 4:28 PM
Being able to get some guns through single shot exemption doesn't qualify as the roster is almost obsolete for me. Only certain popular guns are brought in and there always is a premium to pay. When I can go to gunbroker and I can buy any handgun I want like the rest of the country I'll consider the roster obsolete. Sorry about being negative but every time we turn around there is some new BS law Sacramento is trying to shove down our throats. Thank god for calguns and their legal eagles who have fought against this crap or we wouldn't hardly have any 2nd amendment rights left. Mark

sneather
04-22-2011, 5:18 PM
Being able to get some guns through single shot exemption doesn't qualify as the roster is almost obsolete for me. Only certain popular guns are brought in and there always is a premium to pay. When I can go to gunbroker and I can buy any handgun I want any gun like the rest of the country I'll consider the roster obsolete. Sorry about being negative but every time we turn around there is some new BS law Sacramento is trying to shove down our throats. Thank god for calguns and their legal eagles who have fought against this crap or we wouldn't hardly have any 2nd amendment rights left. Mark

I just spent about an hour reading through most of the posts on the formal "Single Shot" thread. I've answered some of my initial questions, above, but a few more have cropped up. But, the real problem is that, indeed, we're being treated like second-class American's here in California. This state bends over backwards to extend more and more rights and privileges to non-Americans, and all the while whittling away at the rights that WE should be able to enjoy.

Sorry for that little rant. But, I too would like to be able to walk into any store and buy WHATEVER gun I'd like, and walk away right then with said gun!

bartt
04-22-2011, 7:32 PM
I was at cabella's yesterday in Reno and wasn't a fan of it. I thought i was going to love it but the trigger is horrible for a 1911. There is so much "play" with the trigger and pretravel before it breaks. Not as crisp a trigger as i'd expect on this gun. If i bought it, the first thing i would do is a trigger job

That seems odd, since the RO model is supposed to be better than the loaded models. My Loaded has a very nice trigger, no play, no takeup, no creep... Hmmm., perhaps it was just that gun?

CALI SHOT DOC
04-22-2011, 8:31 PM
That seems odd, since the RO model is supposed to be better than the loaded models. My Loaded has a very nice trigger, no play, no takeup, no creep... Hmmm., perhaps it was just that gun?

Yea perhaps. It was just weird cause i knew it was springfields loaded model so people don't have to really upgrade any of the parts so i had high expectations and one pull of the trigger my jaw dropped like "really:confused:" lol.

Gryff
04-22-2011, 9:06 PM

There is quite a bit of production quality variance among Springfield's non-high end models. My Loaded model has an 8lb trigger, a thumb safety with an edge so sharp that you can shave with it, and a mag release that causes after-market mags to hang up after they fall about an inch.

baliw619
05-01-2011, 1:08 AM
Im probably going to keep searching around I already have a Colt XSE and a Armscor 1911 I use to beat on. I just wanted something else a step up from my armscor as I dont want to run a bunch of rounds through the colt kinda want to keep it for a while. Also yes im returning straight to CA after this place and waiting to get back home!