PDA

View Full Version : Amtrak ammo Q

McCrown
04-21-2011, 9:13 PM
Quick question as I'm packing up to go north tomorrow and thought I'd run something by the brains here:

I'm riding Amtrak, both train and bus, and since I don't have a hard case and don't want to deal with all the BS, I'm leaving my firearms behind :( , But is it OK to carry on ammo or parts with me in my carry on? or is it like flying?

gunsmith
04-21-2011, 10:26 PM
its nothing like flying, no metal detectors or anything like it, I was on the train from Reno to Oakland then bus to SF. People were smoking pot.

I could have ccw'd the whole way and no one would have noticed.

BigDogatPlay
04-22-2011, 6:06 AM
I could have ccw'd the whole way and no one would have noticed.

And if anyone had noticed you'd have been subject to arrest. It was only within the past year that those of us who sometimes travel by train have gotten the Congressional go ahead to take our goods with us when riding the rails.

Taking firearms and ammo on AMTRAK is like flying in that they need to be in your checked baggage. Firearms have to be declared at check in. The buses don't involve check in but if whatever it is in your secured bag shouldn't be any sweat there.

And FWIW, there've been credible reports of TSA showing up randomly a couple of times at some of the larger East Coast AMTRAK stations and doing screenings.

My advice, for what it's worth, is to do things right and stay within the rules. We are law abiding gun owners, after all.

:)

gunsmith
04-22-2011, 4:21 PM
true enough, I meant the experience wasn't like flying.
no intrusive pat downs or screenings - the same laws apply though.
I've heard the east is pretty locked down. I miss the old days, I remember seeing people smoke pot on plane trips between SF/NYC in the early 80's late seventies.
I cant wait for that Thune amendment to pass so I can carry legally in SF