PDA

View Full Version : So it took 3 trips to the range to break my brand new SA 1911 magazines.

ns3v3n
04-21-2011, 9:45 PM
Yep, under normal use, both of the factory magazines had a cracked bottom. Here's a pic,

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b123/ns3v3n/IMG00534-20110421-2137.jpg

That was with just a gentle pull and crack, the whole thing broke off. The second mag is in the same condition. Cheap @ss mags :D. Now time to get some CMC powermags or 47D.

Other than the broken mags, the pistol shot great, this is from 43 feet.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b123/ns3v3n/IMG00533-20110421-1741.jpg

On the side note, anyone know a local shop that can install front sights on my 1911??? My night sights proves to be difficult to be used for target shooting. Can any of you recommend a target front sight for my SA 1911??? I plan to get into some competition shooting with this pistol. Thanks yall. Keep shooting. And shoot safe.

hkdad
04-21-2011, 10:02 PM
wilson, chip or tripp would be your best bet.

MrNiceGuy
04-21-2011, 10:09 PM
Did you try to put one too many rounds into the stock mags?
Some mags are actually 7 round mags but 8 rounds will fit (but obviously stress the mag out).

wamphyri13
04-21-2011, 10:19 PM
How many witness holes on the side? 5 for 7rds, 6 for 8rds.
Ryan

ns3v3n
04-22-2011, 8:49 AM
Did you try to put one too many rounds into the stock mags?
Some mags are actually 7 round mags but 8 rounds will fit (but obviously stress the mag out).

They are 7 rounds, I've only loaded to 7 rounds a few times, other times i usually do 5 rounds at the range.

How many witness holes on the side? 5 for 7rds, 6 for 8rds.
Ryan

For the factory mags??? HMM I have to check when I get home, cant remember right now.

NorCal Einstein
04-22-2011, 9:02 AM
EDIT: Removed.

himurax13
04-22-2011, 9:10 AM
Due to the tolerance difference of 1911 manufacturers, finding a magazine that will work for you can be difficult. I have had serious problems with Wilson Combat, Tripp Research, Novak, Springfield, Kimber, Metalform, and Colt Mags with what I consider light use. The odd thing is that the only magazines that have worked alright for me is the ACT mags (which is almost identical to the Novak Mags). I haven't broken any of them, but I have had the baseplate pop off. This is one of the reasons why I am leary about the 1911 platform.

Since I love Dawson Fiber Optic Sights, I sent my slide in to them for installation. Just make sure your gun is zeroed in first. I also prefer thinner front sights.

Fishslayer
04-22-2011, 10:50 AM
Due to the tolerance difference of 1911 manufacturers, finding a magazine that will work for you can be difficult. I have had serious problems with Wilson Combat, Tripp Research, Novak, Springfield, Kimber, Metalform, and Colt Mags with what I consider light use. The odd thing is that the only magazines that have worked alright for me is the ACT mags (which is almost identical to the Novak Mags). I haven't broken any of them, but I have had the baseplate pop off. This is one of the reasons why I am leary about the 1911 platform.

I can see difficulties with one or two manufacturers or one or two individual mags, but I think you & the OP need to look deeper into what is causing your issues.

Neither is the norm.

Except maybe the baseplate popping off the ACT. Same happened to me.

himurax13
04-22-2011, 10:59 AM
The main issue is the length of the frame where the magazine slides into and where the magazine catch is located. I noticed this is a problem with many 1911's. Those 2 items dictates what magazine will work properly in your specific gun.

The 1911 mags, IMHO are more prone to failure than the typical doublestack 9mm mags due to specification differences between several different manufactuers. Most 9mm mags are either made by the factory and maybe one or two aftermarket manufacturers. In many cases, Mecgar is an aftermarket magazine manufacturer but they also make many of the 9mm doublestack magazines so their dimensions are close to the factory mags.

Basically if you have to ram the 1911 magazine well in order to get it to seat, then it is not the right mag for you. Eventually it will cause the feed lips to spread which will end up cracking and breaking them. You will either need to get a different magazine, alter the magazine catch hole, or replace the magazine catch.