PDA

View Full Version : Intrafamalial Question

CrossedRifles
04-21-2011, 8:03 PM
Mom picked up the P226 today and handed it over to me. Needless to say it exceeded my expectations and it's as if I've held this gun for ages. I'm in the process of filling out the OPLAW / Intrafamalial form. What does this form do specifically? Does it put the handgun under my name and basically notifies the DOJ that I am it's operator?

Can I be at a range, alone, if the process still hasn't been completed and is still under my mother's name?

Or does the current nameholder have to be present? E.g. Lending / Borrowing

Thanks for the information.

Librarian
04-21-2011, 8:14 PM
Yes, that is what the form does.

Your obligation is met when you drop the completed form and check in the mail.

After that, enjoy!

Quiet
04-21-2011, 8:14 PM
By sending in the Operation of Law or Intra-Familial Handgun Transaction Report (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf) with $19, you comply with the law [PC 12078(c)(2)] and it registers the handgun to you (you are now the legal owner).

Due to budgetary concerns/problems, CA DOJ BOF will mail you acknowledgement of the transfer between 2-40 weeks.

You do not have to wait for the acknowledgement letter.
Technically, once you mail off the form, you are the legal owner.
However, waiting for the $19 check to be cashed, is a good indication of when CA DOJ BOF processed the form and you are in AFS as the legal owner.

DannyZRC
04-21-2011, 8:15 PM
You could also take your mom shooting, =D

Oceanbob
04-21-2011, 9:37 PM
Now take Mom to a nice Dinner..!....She's a good mom.!

Milspec714
04-21-2011, 10:13 PM
However, waiting for the $19 check to be cashed, is a good indication of when CA DOJ BOF processed the form and you are in AFS as the legal owner.

that would be your safest bet... also congrats and yes definitely get something for moms.. especially Mothers day around corner

Colt-45
04-21-2011, 10:45 PM
You got your HSC card right?

CrossedRifles
04-22-2011, 1:39 AM
Haha definitely, I'm taking her out to somewhere nice to eat and getting her a nice present for her birthday. :D Thanks for the help.

You got your HSC card right?

Yes, but for some reason, nowhere on the form does it ask you for a HSC Number, so I was wondering how I would go about proving I have an HSC.

Quiet
04-22-2011, 3:59 AM
Yes, but for some reason, nowhere on the form does it ask you for a HSC Number, so I was wondering how I would go about proving I have an HSC.

There's no place for it on the form. But, CA law [PC 12078(c)(2)(B)] says you need it.
Some people just write the HSC # in the margin of the form.

CrossedRifles
04-22-2011, 4:01 AM
There's no place for it on the form. But, CA law [PC 12078(c)(2)(B)] says you need it.
Some people just write the HSC # in the margin of the form.

Good idea, I'll just write it on the form anyways.