PDA

View Full Version : Military originally from CA just moved back...

Infantry H2
04-21-2011, 7:46 PM
So here it goes. First of all, this forum is really helpful when it comes to trasitioning back to Kalifornia gun laws. Now my rant! I am a combat veteran, trained to use firearms with escalation of force and rules of engagement in mind. Also, I am a person of good moral character and actually am a recruiter for the Army nowadays. I'm married with a 9 month old daughter and two well trained dogs. I guess you can say I'm an all American man. So tell me...why can't I get a freakin' CCW? I mean I've been through more stressful situations than most LEO's and have seen first hand the damage a bullet can do to another human being. I don't want any violence or to create it but I think I'd feel more appreciated if I were trusted by a Sheriff or Chief. Can't get a CCW but I bet if I wanted I can legally buy and grow marijuana just by telling a doctor a war story! What the hell has happened here? I was born and raised here in CA but I am no longer happy to say so, has common sense gone out the window?

Anyways, I can't win 'em all, so here's a few question I have for all of you.

I have 30rd mags issued to me by the military and an AR15 with a bullet button, can I even have the mags? I mean I use them for my profession but can I take them to the range to shoot? Any ideas?

Also, while living in the great CCW issuing state of Colorado where if you represent the red white and blue you can carry concealed all you like! I bought an XD45 and have 13rd mags, what's the deal with that?

An lastly, my Ruger LCP, LEO only in CA?! Was my carry pistol, can I have it or do I need to sell it to a cop because me being a soldier is not good enough?

dominic
04-21-2011, 7:52 PM
I hear you and thanks for your service. I'll be watching this thread, because you'll get some great advice from the good people here.

Librarian
04-21-2011, 7:54 PM
Anyways, I can't win 'em all, so here's a few question I have for all of you.

1) I have 30rd mags issued to me by the military and an AR15 with a bullet button, can I even have the mags? I mean I use them for my profession but can I take them to the range to shoot? Any ideas?

2) Also, while living in the great CCW issuing state of Colorado where if you represent the red white and blue you can carry concealed all you like! I bought an XD45 and have 13rd mags, what's the deal with that?

3) An lastly, my Ruger LCP, LEO only in CA?! Was my carry pistol, can I have it or do I need to sell it to a cop because me being a soldier is not good enough?
Thanks for your service, and welcome back.

1) ETA Presuming you are still active, you can have the mags. But you CANNOT use them with the bullet-button-equipped AR - the bullet-button effectively creates a fixed-mag rifle, and fixed-mag greater than 10 creates a CA 'assault weapon'. No, it doesn't make sense. If you are separating here, then you CANNOT have the 30-rounders.

2) CCW is 'may issue' and the likelihood of getting a permit is variable depending on your location; see the CCW Information forum - http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=116.

And please break down those 13-round mags to parts kits - importing what CA calls 'large-capacity magazines' - 11 rounds or more - is a misdemeanor. I believe you will have to block the mags to 10 rounds; IIRC, there are no factory 10-rounders for the XD.

3) No worries - the Roster only applies to dealers selling, not private possession. Moving here with an off-Roster gun is fine.

Blackhawk556
04-21-2011, 8:27 PM
@librarian...you are wrong here "And please break down those 13-round mags to parts kits - importing what CA calls 'large-capacity magazines' - 11 rounds or more - is a misdemeanor. I believe you will have to block the mags to 10 rounds; IIRC, there are no factory 10-rounders for the XD." there are ten round mags for the xd line.

Quiet
04-21-2011, 8:47 PM
There are factory 10 round magazines for the XD series and XDM-45 series.

There are no factory 10 round magazines for the XDM-9 and XDM-40 series.

Librarian
04-21-2011, 8:48 PM
@librarian...you are wrong here "And please break down those 13-round mags to parts kits - importing what CA calls 'large-capacity magazines' - 11 rounds or more - is a misdemeanor. I believe you will have to block the mags to 10 rounds; IIRC, there are no factory 10-rounders for the XD."

there are ten round mags for the xd line.

That would be simpler; don't own an XD, so don't follow them in detail - thanks.

ETA - found one: http://www.xdpistols.com/item/58226_Springfield_Armory_Magazines_Springfield_XD4 510_Extra_.aspx

Hokey Smokes! $41.88? I thought Sig mags were pricey...

C.W.M.V.
04-21-2011, 9:02 PM
...Also, I am a person of good moral character and actually am a recruiter for the Army nowadays...

Sorry but these two are mutually exclusive!

I kid I kid!:D

Shouldn't be any worries about keeping the LCP, just have to register it as far as I know.